Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast
    Great work, thank you.

I already read this thread last year and revisited this again today because I need to setup a lowendbox for my new website and this script really helped me a lot Thank you

Thank you so much for this wonderful script that just made my VPS a lot slimmer and snappier!
    You truly made my day!

Great script, thank you!

No problem, I am glad it has been useful
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

Code:
    rm -rf /tmp
    mkdir /tmp
    mount -t tmpfs -o rw,noexec,nosuid tmpfs /tmp
    chmod 1777 /tmp
    echo "tmpfs   /tmp    tmpfs   rw,noexec,nosuid        0       0" >> /etc/fstab
    rm -rf /var/tmp
    ln -s /tmp /var/tm
    What is the point of "securing /tmp and /var/tmp"?

P.S. I'm a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by snatch/ View Post
    Code:
    rm -rf /tmp
    mkdir /tmp
    mount -t tmpfs -o rw,noexec,nosuid tmpfs /tmp
    chmod 1777 /tmp
    echo "tmpfs   /tmp    tmpfs   rw,noexec,nosuid        0       0" >> /etc/fstab
    rm -rf /var/tmp
    ln -s /tmp /var/tm

P.S. I'm a newbie.
    This would protect your system from MANY local and remote exploits of rootkits being run from your /tmp folder.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    This would protect your system from MANY local and remote exploits of rootkits being run from your /tmp folder.
    Yes, just as Roel said it stops many, many exploits from being run on your server.
    As far as we're concerned it is always something that should be done on any Linux server, especially if it's one that's running publicly accessible web-services that could potentially be exploited.

We always recommend when setting up a server, securing /tmp and /var/tmp, changing the SSH port, allowing access to SSH only via Public Keys (unless it is an environment where it is totally impractical to do so), installing an intrusion detection system with auto IP banning functionality and getting a decent software firewall in place (we generally use ConfigServer Firewall for the IDS and Firewall).

As and when I get some more time to work on Centmin properly again, these are more than likely some of the things I will look into implementing.

Thanks for you infomation, I'll wait for the next secure release.

Quote Originally Posted by newcome11 View Post
    Thanks for you infomation, I'll wait for the next secure release.
    You might be in for a bit of a wait if that's the case

We are extremely busy at the moment, combine that with the fact that I am moving house in 5 weeks and it means realistically it's probably going to be the end of June/early July before I start working on additional features again (any bugfixes etc. will be a priority in the meanwhile).
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 05-16-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTCentral - Ben View Post
    You might be in for a bit of a wait if that's the case

We are extremely busy at the moment, combine that with the fact that I am moving house in 5 weeks and it means realistically it's probably going to be the end of June/early July before I start working on additional features again (any bugfixes etc. will be a priority in the meanwhile).
    Hi Ben

Just thought I'd pop in and say thanks for the nice centmin script framework, very easy to modify to suit my needs. I already scripted an equivalent script ages ago for apache based web server, but never got around to nginx version.

Been playing with local and rackspace cloud server setups and moved my existing nginx configuration settings into your script with additional nginx config options.

So now I have changed mysql to MariaDB 5.2.6 mysql, added xcache support (for vB datastore cache support), Nginx and php-fpm compiled with updated openssl from 0.9.8e to 1.0.0d, and dumped php-fpm yum install in favour of custom source compile for php-fpm with addition config options compiled in to ensure it works with vBulletin forums

George
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Wow, very interesting, can you share your experience when creating new script base on the original?

More about new MariaDB + Xcache + costom compile php-fpm?

Yes, just as Roel said it stops many, many exploits from being run on your server.
    As far as we're concerned it is always something that should be done on any Linux server, especially if it's one that's running publicly accessible web-services that could potentially be exploited.

We always recommend when setting up a server, securing /tmp and /var/tmp, changing the SSH port, allowing access to SSH only via Public Keys (unless it is an environment where it is totally impractical to do so), installing an intrusion detection system with auto IP banning functionality and getting a decent software firewall in place (we generally use ConfigServer for the IDS and Firewall).

As and when I get some more time to work on Centmin properly again, these are more than likely some of the things I will look into implementing.
    Thank you for introducing me to ConfigServer.

How could the system be exploited if I don't "secure" /tmp and /var/tmp, though? What I don't understand at all is why the tmp directory is any safer under / rather than /var. Also, it's understandable why you'd want to change the access permissions, but why the tmp folder and not any other?

What I don't understand at all is why the tmp directory is any safer under / rather than /var.
    Just to clear things up, I meant why is /var/tmp made to point to /tmp.

My apache version of my script has CSF install routine as well, so might migrate it over to centmin modified script

Quote Originally Posted by newcome11 View Post
    Wow, very interesting, can you share your experience when creating new script base on the original?

More about new MariaDB + Xcache + costom compile php-fpm?
    well initially had some problems compiling the right path to openssl for nginx and php-fpm and some php-fpm paths which differed from php-fpm rpm/yum versus my custom source compile, so changed them to around.

End up with the following

Code:
    free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3270        506       2763          0         25        314
    -/+ buffers/cache:        166       3103
    Swap:         5279          0       5279
    Code:
    top - 01:40:27 up 2 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.45, 0.26, 0.10
    Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  2.9%us,  3.3%sy,  0.0%ni, 80.6%id, 11.7%wa,  0.4%hi,  1.0%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   3348500k total,   518712k used,  2829788k free,    26544k buffers
    Swap:  5406712k total,        0k used,  5406712k free,   321868k cached
    Code:
    nginx -V
    nginx: nginx version: nginx/1.0.2
    nginx: built by gcc 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-50)
    nginx: TLS SNI support enabled
    nginx: configure arguments: --sbin-path=/usr/local/sbin --conf-path=/usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf --with-http_ssl_module --with-http_gzip_static_module --with-http_stub_status_module --with-http_sub_module --with-http_addition_module --with-http_secure_link_module --with-http_flv_module --with-http_sub_module --with-http_realip_module --add-module=../ngx-fancyindex-0.3.1 --add-module=../ngx_cache_purge-1.3 --add-module=../nginx-accesskey-2.0.3 --with-google_perftools_module --with-openssl=../openssl-1.0.0d --with-ld-opt=-ltcmalloc_minimal
    Code:
    php -v
    PHP 5.3.6 (cli) (built: May 17 2011 01:29:54) 
    Copyright (c) 1997-2011 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2011 Zend Technologies
        with XCache v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2005-2010, by mOo
    Code:
    php -i | grep configure
    Configure Command =>  '../configure'  '--enable-cgi' '--enable-fpm' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-mhash' '--with-zlib' '--with-gettext' '--enable-exif' '--enable-zip' '--with-bz2' '--enable-soap' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-sysvmsg' '--enable-sysvsem' '--enable-sysvshm' '--enable-shmop' '--with-pear' '--enable-mbstring' '--with-openssl=/usr/local' '--with-mysql=/usr/bin/' '--with-libdir=lib64' '--with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config' '--with-mysql-sock' '--with-curl' '--with-gd' '--with-xmlrpc' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--enable-ftp' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--without-sqlite' '--disable-pdo' '--with-fpm-user=nginx' '--with-fpm-group=nginx'
    Code:
    php -i | grep MariaDB
    Client API version => 5.2.6-MariaDB
    Client API library version => 5.2.6-MariaDB
    Client API header version => 5.2.6-MariaDB
    Code:
    mysqladmin ver
    mysqladmin  Ver 9.0 Distrib 5.2.6-MariaDB, for unknown-linux-gnu on x86_64
    Copyright 2000-2008 MySQL AB, 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc,
    2009 Monty Program Ab
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
    and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version          5.2.6-MariaDB-mariadb101
    Protocol version        10
    Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
    UNIX socket             /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    Uptime:                 4 min 28 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 1  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 15  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 8  Queries per second avg: 0.3
    Code:
    ulimit -aH
    core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
    data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
    scheduling priority             (-e) 0
    file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
    pending signals                 (-i) 26623
    max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
    max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
    open files                      (-n) 63536
    pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
    POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
    real-time priority              (-r) 0
    stack size              (kbytes, -s) unlimited
    cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
    max user processes              (-u) 26623
    virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
    file locks                      (-x) unlimited
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Thank you very much eva2000.

Also added some command shortcuts to bottom of centmin script

Code:
    echo " "

cecho "**********************************************************************" $boldgreen
    cecho "* Add cmd shortcuts for php.ini, my.cnf, php-fpm.conf, nginx.conf and virtual.conf " $boldgreen
    cecho "* Edit php.ini = phpedit " $boldgreen
    cecho "* Edit my.cnf = mycnf " $boldgreen
    cecho "* Edit php-fpm.conf = fpmconf " $boldgreen
    cecho "* Edit nginx.conf = nginxconf " $boldgreen
    cecho "* Edit virtual.conf = vhostconf " $boldgreen
    cecho "* nginx stop/start/restart = ngxstop/ngxstart/ngxrestart " $boldgreen
    cecho "* php-fpm stop/start/restart = fpmstop/fpmstart/fpmrestart " $boldgreen
    cecho "* mysql stop/start/restart = mysqlstop/mysqlstart/mysqlrestart " $boldgreen
    cecho "* nginx + php-fpm stop/start/restart = npstop/npstart/nprestart " $boldgreen
    cecho "**********************************************************************" $boldgreen

echo "nano -w /usr/local/lib/php.ini" > /usr/bin/phpedit ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/phpedit
    echo "nano -w /etc/my.cnf" >/usr/bin/mycnf ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/mycnf
    echo "nano -w /usr/local/etc/php-fpm.conf" >/usr/bin/fpmconf ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/fpmconf
    echo "nano -w /usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf" >/usr/bin/nginxconf ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/nginxconf
    echo "nano -w /usr/local/nginx/conf/conf.d/virtual.conf" >/usr/bin/vhostconf ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/vhostconf

echo "service nginx stop" >/usr/bin/ngxstop ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/ngxstop
    echo "service nginx start" >/usr/bin/ngxstart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/ngxstart
    echo "service nginx restart" >/usr/bin/ngxrestart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/ngxrestart
    echo "service php-fpm stop" >/usr/bin/fpmstop ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/fpmstop
    echo "service php-fpm start" >/usr/bin/fpmstart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/fpmstart
    echo "service php-fpm restart" >/usr/bin/fpmrestart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/fpmrestart
    echo "service mysql stop" >/usr/bin/mysqlstop ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/mysqlstop
    echo "service mysql start" >/usr/bin/mysqlstart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/mysqlstart
    echo "service mysql restart" >/usr/bin/mysqlrestart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/mysqlrestart
    echo "service nginx stop;service php-fpm stop" >/usr/bin/npstop ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/npstop
    echo "service nginx start;service php-fpm start" >/usr/bin/npstart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/npstart
    echo "service nginx restart;service php-fpm restart" >/usr/bin/nprestart ; chmod 700 /usr/bin/nprestart

echo " "

cecho "* Installation complete, congratulations!" $boldgreen
    cecho "* For security reasons this script will now be deleted." $boldgreen
    cecho "* " $boldgreen
    cecho "* We would highly recommend that you reboot your server now." $boldgreen
    cecho "* " $boldgreen
    cecho "* Enjoy CentOS  -  BTCentral" $boldgreen

Hi George,

Firstly no problem, glad you have found it useful

The changes you have been making sound very interesting, in particular for me MariaDB support - that's always something I have meant to look into but just have not found the time yet.

If you're interested in having changes you have made implemented into Centmin just drop me a PM or drop us an email and I will get back to you - for example I could get it to give the option for MariaDB instead of standard MySQL, custom php-fpm instead of pre-compiled, etc. which I am sure would be very useful for some people. Full credit would be given for any contributions of course.

We have big plans for Centmin in the not too distant future, as I said it's just a matter of finding the time to implement them

Alternatively if you just fancy making a fork of Centmin that's just fine too.

Thanks,
    Ben

Hi Ben

I'd love to share my version but last time i linked to my site on this forum to provide useful and on topic info for a thread, a moderator gave me an infraction warning

I've since last post, added memcached server support to my version of the script so libevent, memcached, memcache along with xcache support has been added.

MariaDB is mainly 64bit so is the rest of the focus of my version as it's what i mainly use for servers. So maybe you could add in necessarily routines and checks for 32bit vs 64bit.

My apache version also has CSF, chkrootkit, rkhunter and varnish cache options, I'm thinking of at least adding CSF to my modified version of centmin, I can share the changes once that's done and tested

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    I'd love to share my version but last time i linked to my site on this forum to provide useful and on topic info for a thread, a moderator gave me an infraction warning
    Hmm, depending on how you worded your post/what you linked to it may have been considered self-promotion.

In that case what I will do is PM you my email address so that you can get in touch that way. So if you have a website I can have a look at or links to any changes you can just send them that way
    Edit: Done.

I've since last post, added memcached server support to my version of the script so libevent, memcached, memcache along with xcache support has been added.

MariaDB is mainly 64bit so is the rest of the focus of my version as it's what i mainly use for servers. So maybe you could add in necessarily routines and checks for 32bit vs 64bit.

My apache version also has CSF, chkrootkit, rkhunter and varnish cache options, I'm thinking of at least adding CSF to my modified version of centmin, I can share the changes once that's done and tested
    Sounds good, 32bit checks are not a problem, there's already an architecture check in the script and I'm more than happy to make changes as necessary. We have VPS specifically for testing and could also easily setup a VM in the likes of VirtualBox if needed.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 05-18-2011 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks Ben email sent. I uploaded a copy of the modified centmin version here - it has MariaDB 5.2.6 support, xcache v1.3.1, memcached 1.4.5, memcache 3.0.5, libevent 2.0.10, csf firewall and siege benchmark install. Feel free to correct and outline any errors or bugs I introduced into the script

Thanks Ben email sent. I uploaded a copy of the modified centmin version here - it has MariaDB 5.2.6 support, xcache v1.3.1, memcached 1.4.5, memcache 3.0.5, libevent 2.0.10, csf firewall and siege benchmark install. Feel free to correct and outline any errors or bugs I introduced into the script
    Thanks George - From the quick look I have had everything looks fine for 64bit CentOS.

I'll work on modification & testing for 32bit CentOS over the weekend and double check any changes that have been made

Thanks George - From the quick look I have had everything looks fine for 64bit CentOS.

I'll work on modification & testing for 32bit CentOS over the weekend and double check any changes that have been made
    Good to hear... i tried my hand at modifying the script for scientific linux 6 as well, so far okay. Adding more stuff to my version, vsftpd 2.3.4, snmp, python 2.7.1 etc.

Thanks for all the hard work on this Ben and eva2000 and the others who contributed.

Adding the excellent CSF to this is most welcome.

But I was originally looking for the best way to install from scratch a minimal CentOS 5 when I found centmin - so what is the best practice for the initial minimal clean install? Should I just start with the original ISO or is there a better recommended build? Should I just use the netinstall?
    Last edited by aww; 06-04-2011 at 04:44 PM.

eva2000 I had to modify your script for 32bit since I am testing in a VM on a 32bit OS

I did these search/replaces, just to help others in the future:
    Code:
    .x86_64 -> .i386
    /x86_64 -> /i386
    amd64 -> x86
    lib64 -> lib
    It kinda sorta looks like everything is mostly working
    Apache is working but not nginx, so investigating that...

BTW are the wget fetched files cleaned up at any point?
    Because when I rerun the script I see wget often renaming .gz.1 .gz.2 .gz.3 instead of overwriting or skipping any existing.

I also noticed these two errors:
    Code:
    ./centmin.sh: line 629: /usr/local/bin/phpize: No such file or directory
    ./centmin.sh: line 630: ./configure: No such file or directory
    Also vsftp was not working out of the box.
    Had to edit /etc/vftpd/vftpd.conf and change
    local_enable=YES
    and comment out
    #one_process_model=yes
    Last edited by aww; 06-04-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast