GoDaddy domain transfer nightmare

Hi everyone,

I have a friend that I'm trying to help out. She has numerous domains registered through GD. I can't seem to get them transferred. I'm getting error emails from the new registrar saying that they cannot initiate the change since the domains are set as "private registrations" through Domains by Proxy.

So when I try to cancel that service at the DbyP website it says that it cannot cancel the service because the domains are set with "domain protection" through GD. So I try to change the domain protection in her GD account and it won't let me. Here's what GD's help page says about it:

"You cannot cancel Protected Registration once you apply it to one of your domains. However, you can let it expire by preventing it from automatically renewing."

These domains don't expire until 2009 and 2010. I can't believe there is no way to get these transfered! Has anyone else had this issue?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by treehstn View Post
    Here's what GD's help page says about it:

"You cannot cancel Protected Registration once you apply it to one of your domains. However, you can let it expire by preventing it from automatically renewing."
    Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe GoDaddy's whois privacy is so "rigid", to say the least. At Tucows, at least the resellers can switch it on and off with a single click.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.
      0 Not allowed!

480-505-8877

I am sure if you call them, they can help you work through the issue that you are having.

Anytime something does not work like I think it should through the website I just pick up the phone and call and the issue gets resolved.
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by treehstn View Post
    Here's what GD's help page says about it:

These domains don't expire until 2009 and 2010. I can't believe there is no way to get these transfered!
    Just shows how sneaky some registrars are - this is exactly the kind of trick RegisterFly would use!
      0 Not allowed!

I have several domains at godaddy, and all with private registration.

I also have several domains at name as well.

So, I just unlocked one of my domains (that has private registration) at godaddy, and requested the transfer auth code and have received that.

I went to name and initiated the transfer.

So far I am not running into any issues. I will keep you posted on how this turns out.

I know they cannot turn off privacy, but that should not prevent you from transferring as long as you have access to the e-mail that you used when you set up the privacy. You will lose any unused privacy, but if all information is correct and you are past the 60 days of new domain, there really should be no issues.

I am saying that before this process has completed... so I will either back up what I just said, or I will eat my own words.

Anyway... we shall see.
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

AFAIK, you can't transfer a domain to most registrars if the whois protection is turned on. A friend of mine tried on a GD domain to 1and1, and it failed right as the domain was about to expire.

I would definitely call them up if you can't remove the privacy from their web site. Their phone support has been really good from my experiences.
      0 Not allowed!

update - initially my request to transfer was denied because privacy is turned on. So, I had to log into the following:

https://www.domainsbyproxy.com/account/domains.aspx

and remove the protections.

All of the touch points require the valid e-mail address that you originally signed up with. If you don't have that, then you are not going to get any e-mails telling you what you need to do.

So, I removed the protection:

ITEM CANCELLATION CONFIRMATION

Dear xxxxx xxxx,

Per your request, the items listed below have been cancelled
    from your account, xxxxxxx:

Private Registration Services: xxxxxxx***********

If you feel this cancellation has occurred in error or you need
    further assistance, our support staff is available 24 hours a
    day, 7 days a week via:

+ Online Support:
    https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/suppo...dy&isc=wwbb566
    + Email: support@godaddy.com
    + Phone: (480) 505-8877

Please do not reply to this email. Emails sent to this address
    will not be answered.

Thanks again for being a GoDaddy.com, Inc. customer.

Sincerely,
    GoDaddy.com, Inc.

Will keep you all updated. I am sure it the request to transfer will recycle after the initial denial because of privacy. We shall see.
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

Redmeds... I can't cancel the domainsbyproxy protections. It says that it cannot cancel the service because the domains are set with "domain protection" through GD. So I try to change the domain protection in her GD account and it won't let me. Here's what GD's help page says about it:

0 Not allowed!

What is the difference between a "public" and "private" registration?
    http://help.godaddy.com/article/421

Cancelling the Private Registration for Domains:
    http://help.godaddy.com/article/1625

What is Protected Registration?
    http://help.godaddy.com/topic/614/article/1286

Adding Deluxe or Protected Registration to Your Domains:
    http://help.godaddy.com/article/1290

Cancelling Protected Registration:
    http://help.godaddy.com/article/1292

Transferring Domains to Another Registrar:
    http://help.godaddy.com/article/3560
      0 Not allowed!

I misread a little and did not make the distinction between private and protected registration.

I am following up on the protected registration side and will let you know what I find out.
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

A little followup as I now understand exactly the scenario that treehstn is in.

I just responded to a godaddy e-mail where they say all transfers are blocked, but then on their website they say most, and including scenarios of ones that are. Why not just say "all" if that is what it means?

Ok... so now I can see how my friend is confused. You list Deadbolt Transfer in this e-mail:

Deadbolt Transfer Protection

Puts your domain on lockdown, making it impossible for any inadvertent, accidental, or malicious transfer. Unlike regular domain locking, which occurs at the registry level, Deadbolt Transfer Protection offers an even higher level of security — we lock your domain in your account.

You do not specify that all transfers are locked. You mention inadvertent, accidental, or malicious transfers leaving a normal thinking person to believe they can still transfer if they need to. That seems a little slight of hand. Why not just say "all" transfers are blocked? Why even mention scenarios?

Then on your page: https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/prote...ng.asp?ci=9004

It says "MOST" and not "ALL". So, what does "MOST" mean?

That seems like a little misleading. I pretty much read everything possible, but when it says different things in different places it is hard to follow along.

If Bob needs to answer this question, please let him know that he is free as well to respond to this.
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

I received a canned reply from Godaddy....

Thank you for contacting Online Support. I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion that you have experienced. You would not be able to transfer a domain name to another registrar if Protected Registration is enabled. This is stated within our Domain Ownership Protection agreement. You may view all service and legal agreements at the following link:

• Legal Page

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Sincerely,

Joshua P.
    Online Support Team

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So I sent another e-mail.. because even though I don't have protected registration it pisses me off to think that godaddy, who I have supported in the past has this one product that it is so slight of hand. I will move everything from Godaddy if they stick to this policy of not letting a person transfer their domain.

The customer paid $25... it should be thiers to lose if they choose to abandon the protection.

so... my updated note to them. I would like them to come here and explain it, although I don't believe that will happen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Can you be a little more specific and point to exactly where it talks about it in the TOS or DOP.

I am really trying to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and trying to defend godaddy as I have domains with you, but you are making it very hard with taking the approach of go read the TOS, which is just a plethora of vomit with a hidden message in it.

There is a thread on webhostingtalk.com that has come about because of this kind of ambiguity..... and it is not going to serve godaddy well if the attention grows.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=707387

I have a learned a very valuable lesson today and that is to stay away from products that may seem like one thing on the front page, but mean something completely different in the legal speak.

That is not a very healthy approach....

Mike
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

I've heard mixed stories about GoDaddy when it comes to transferring domains. Some people don't seem to have any problems, while others seem to have real trouble.
      0 Not allowed!

tree... here additional information.

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

There are more than a few terms of service agreements you may want to read over, however the Domain Ownership Protection legal agreement in this case is related specifically to the Protected Registration agreement. However, you may also want to review our Domains by Proxy Agreement
    and Domain Registration Agreement as well as the Universal Terms of Service as located on our legal page for any other related questions related to the registration of the domain name.

In an answer to a previous question regarding protected registration transfers. Occasionally there are rare circumstances that may arise in which the domain name must be transfered, such as domain disputes, in these cases protected registration will not prevent that.

However if you wish to transfer away a domain with Protected Registration, Protected Registration first must be canceled by way of downloading the document at the following link and complete the instructions outlined on the document. Once you have completed this and the Protected Registration is removed you can then transfer the domain.

http://products.secureserver.net/for...ncellation.doc
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry I've been swamped for a few days. Mike... did you notice that the owner of secureserver.net is Wild West Domains? I don't think I'd be sending them a photo id for anything!
      0 Not allowed!

Hey Tree... I went about as far as I could with them without actually having protection privacy in place.

There is a way out according to them, so if you do not want to be locked into Godaddy for the 2-3 years that you purchased then it seems that is the only way out. Of course, it looks like you will eat the cost of paying for multiple year.

Is it difficult? yes... Is it impossible? no

Peace!
    Mike
    Mike
      0 Not allowed!

is this still the case with godaddy?

thanks
      0 Not allowed!