Hosting a subdomain on cpanel without main domain on hostgator

Dear friends,

I have a client who’s main domain company.com is hosted on the local server using a managed dns. Now they need to host an application application.company.com which need around 150gb of storage space and high availability.

I was planning to go with hostgator shared hosting and point the subdomain application.company.com to hostgator server on our managed dns.

Since cpanel will not allow to add any domain which is not pointed to that server, and we cannot move the main site to hostgator. Can any body suggest any alternative to create the subdomain?

I already made a sales chat with hostgator about the situation and they told me that can host it only if the main domain is with them.

Or can any body suggest me any other good hosting company where I can host it? I will need PHP 5/MYSQL 4.1 or above, 150 GB space.

Thanks in advance

Maybe manually re-write your own DNS zone?
    FazeWire Web Services.
    || We have provided great prices and better support since 2006. Located in Seattle, WA!
    || -----------------
    || Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Software Licenses

You could probably temporarily assign nameservers to HostGator, then once the account is activated, create the subdomain, then change your nameservers back, and point the subdomains A record to your sites IP.

I think you should contact the support of Hostgator if you insist using them. It's really not that big of a deal to open an account with that domain pointing somewhere else and edit the zones so that it fits your requirements.
    Cheap web hosting
    Any CMS pre-installed
    Joomla Hosting

All you need to do is modify the DNS zone for your domain, change the IP address for the sub domain to point to HostGator's server IP address. Sign up with the main domain name, once they activate it you should be able to add the sub domain without any problems then all you need to do is modify your managed dns entries to change the IP of the sub domain.

Perhaps writing an email to the technical support rather then sales, explaining the situation would help them assist you better with this.

Thank you

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

The problem is cpanel will check the name servers of the main domain whether it is pointed to the same server. In my case which is not and cannot even change that for a short time.

Otherwise they will need to add the ip's of our dns into some cpanel config file, which I am not sure they will do.

Any way I will try sending an email to the technical dept.

Thanks

A system administrator at HostGator should be able to set this up for you.

E-mail support[at]hostgator.com and they will get you the information/answer you seek.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

You totally do not need your main domain with them, that is just obsurd...

We have lots of subdomains as cpanel accounts... Just setup an A record to point to the IP of the server they assign you, and walla... all said and done...

I think thats what your asking for. The domain they create in WHM needs to be sub.domain.com

As people have said it is complety and easily possible, you just need to contact their support and im sure they will be happy to set it up for you.
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

Over the years I've added dozens of 3rd-level domains to cPanel servers (some on HG, some elsewhere) without the main domain being on that server, and there is absolutely nothing special to it. In fact, I have a reseller account at HG right now that uses a 3rd-level domain... the base domain is pointed to another server at another host, and I manage the DNS myself elsewhere.

I believe what you are thinking of is ADD-ON domains (if I remember correctly... never used ADD-ON domains myself).

All you have to do is enter the full name in the "Domain Name" field in cPanel's account creation form. Instead of entering example.com there, enter sub.example.com, and it works like a charm. I do it all the time, both at HG and elsewhere.

This is NOT a cPanel OR HG problem... this is a communications/understanding problem.

thanks, i will try