Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here is an alternative for including files and checking for errors (versus checking if the file exists first)

Sample code:

PHP Code:
    if(!@include_once("file.inc")) { echo "There was an error including an important file."; exit(0); } 
    The @ symbol will supress the error thrown by PHP when the file cannot be included. The ! symbol is used to cause the if statement to be true when the the include_once function is false/fails.
      0 Not allowed!

giropets, nicly done but it's :
    PHP Code:
    $_SETTINGS['time'] = date('Y-m-d:H.i.s');
    $_SETTINGS['name'] = 'Mike';
    $_SETTINGS['comment'] = 'Just a simple comment'
    why? because your code will bounce few notices about constants not being found..
    and since we came about quotes, I will add:

Using Single Quotes VS. Duoble Quotes
    some poeple don't know the difference between single and double quotes..
    single quotes are faster than double ones because it wont parse variables while the double quotes will look for variables to parse ..
    so if you have only hardcoded text, use single quotes but if you have variables use duoble quotes..
    example:
    PHP Code:
    $var 'value';

echo 
    'this is $var'//prints "this is $var"
    echo "this is $var"//prints "this is value" 
    We don't need a reason to help people
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks a bunch giro
      0 Not allowed!

Not bad. Good pointers, though that include code is really quite unreadable, considering your point about readability later on...

Want to also point out that using globals is generally bad practice. Avoid them if you can. For things like settings, or DB pointers they're fine, but try to avoid using them for data that may change through the script's execution. They're a big pain to debug when you run into problems, and just poor design in general. Also, there's nothing there about OO.

Now, for my own points:

Curly braces are unnecessary if you only need to execute a single statement. You *need* to indent things nicely if you do this though, or it's completely unreadable (note that this applies to for, foreach and while statements as well):
    PHP Code:
    if (!$user->loggedin)

error_message("You aren't logged in! You can't access this page."); 
    or even:
    PHP Code:
    if (!$user->loggedinerror_message("You aren't logged in! You can't access this page."); 
    If you need more than one statement to be executed in the conditional, you of course need to use the braces.

Ternary conditionals are handy too. A bit confusing at first, but handy once you learn them. They 'return' a value based on the condition given. Here's a simple example:
    PHP Code:
    echo ($user->is_admin) ? "You're an admin!" "You're not an admin."
    I find this very useful in form processing code where you might use it to assign default values if the input is invalid:
    PHP Code:
    $params['description'] = (preg_match("/^[A-z0-9]{5,30}$/"$_POST['description'])) ? $_POST['description'] : "Default"
    Also keep in mind the difference between require() and include(). Generally, it's a good idea to use require() where the code to be included is absolutely required, as the script will die if it can't be included. For things like authentication code, this is definitely important.

Oh, another thing I see a lot that really is quite pointless. Don't use an if construct where it's not required. Generally this is when returning from a function. Granted, this is much more ambiguous in a loosely typed language, but the point stands. Example:
    PHP Code:
    if ($user->loggedin && $user->is_admin) return true;
    else return 
    false
    is equivalent to
    PHP Code:
    return ($user->loggedin && $user->is_admin); 
    And lastly, try to keep your SQL statements in one place. My personal suggestion is to write a DB abstraction class that contains methods such as insert_user() that completely remove any SQL calls from your program logic. This makes things a lot easier to change in the future (all your SQL code is in one place, and you don't have identical SQL in multiple places that all need to be updated), and if you ever need to switch databases, all of your queries and mysql_* or pg_* calls are centralized and can be easily changed. It also reduces the amount of duplicate code you have, and generally leaves less room for errors in input validation etcetera. If you don't use a DB class, at least store your queries in an associative array somewhere and use sprintf to add the parameters at run time.

That's all I've got for now.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, since the end of my post was about SQL, it's time to rant about database design. It's not really 'PHP programming' as the title suggests, but beginners almost always are interested in using the two together. Other data storage methods are clumsy and much more difficult to implement.

So, without further ado, my attempt at explaining database normalisation. For those who already understand normal forms, please understand that I'm trying to give practical guidelines, not theoretical strict definitions here.

When you're designing your tables (you ARE designing before you implement, aren't you?), you want to keep things fairly normalised. Now, what exactly does that mean?

First, and most importantly, every column in each table should depend on an individual instance of what that table is describing. For example, if you have a comments table and you want this table to also contain information about the user that posted the comment, say the user's name and tagline, you wouldn't actually store the username and tagline inside the comments table. Since I'm not very eloquent at describing this stuff, here's an example:
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE users (
       uid INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
       username VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL,
       tagline VARCHAR(64) DEFAULT '',
       -- ... rest of the fields here
       PRIMARY KEY(uid),
       UNIQUE(username)
    );

CREATE TABLE comments (
       cid INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
       uid INT NOT NULL, -- in a proper RDBMS (which MySQL is NOT), you'd reference the users table here as a foreign key)
       pid INT NOT NULL, -- ditto
       comment_body TEXT,
       -- ... more fields
       PRIMARY KEY(cid),
       INDEX(pid)
    );
    You can think of this concept as reducing duplication. You're already storing the username in a table, so don't store it again in the comments table, just store a reference to the primary key of the user's table. We'll see how to access this in a single query in a few moments.

On with database normalisation concept #2 - don't store multiple values in a single column:

Let's say you have the users table above, and you decide that you want to store every IP address the user has ever logged in under. Now, a novice developer may think that this data belongs in the users table as well, since it depends directly on the user. They might opt to use a VARCHAR or TEXT field and store the values there in some fashion (separated by a delimiter, or perhaps as a serialized array). This is bad practice and leads to all sorts of issues, and also reduces the flexibility of your database. There are two 'correct' ways to accomplish this sort of one to many relationship. The first, and (IMO) correct way in this case is to create a separate table for IPs:
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE user_ips (
       uid INT NOT NULL, -- foreign key
       ip VARCHAR(15) NOT NULL,
       PRIMARY KEY(uid, ip),
       INDEX(ip)
    );
    This can be easily fetched in any combination...and can also easily achieve the reverse ip->user query that's not possible with the other implementation (as well as other ip-related queries).

Now for another similar example to show the other technique. Let's say you're writing something like a blog, where you might have a number of posts as well as a number of categories, where each post can be in an arbitrary number of categories. For this you're going to want a separate table for both posts and categories, and you'd want to create a third table to map the two together (we'll use the users table from above):
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE posts (
       pid INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
       uid INT NOT NULL, -- again, foreign key definition would go here
       post_content TEXT,
       -- more...
       PRIMARY KEY(pid),
       INDEX(uid)
    );
    CREATE TABLE categories (
       cat_id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
       name VARCHAR(64),
       -- etc...
       PRIMARY KEY(cat_id)
    );
    CREATE TABLE cat_posts_map (
       pid INT NOT NULL, -- FK
       cat_id INT NOT NULL, -- FK
       INDEX(pid),
       INDEX(cat_id)
    );
    Okay, now you're probably wondering how this makes things *easier* since at first glance, it looks like this is going to force you to do half a dozen queries just to get all the information you need for a single post. It's not quite that bad .

First, let's take our most recent example -- getting a single post and the categories it's in. What we need to do is map the three tables (posts, users, categories)...well actually four if we count the mapping table...into a single result table. There are two syntaxes for doing this. I'm only going to cover the conditional one, as I think it's easier to understand. If you want to look into the JOIN syntax, you can find it on the JOIN syntax page.

Now before we give some examples for this, let's populate our database with some data:
    Code:
    INSERT INTO users (username, tagline) VALUES ('user1', 'im a test user');
    INSERT INTO users(username, tagline) VALUES ('user2', 'im another test user');

INSERT INTO posts (uid, post_content) VALUES (1, 'test post');
    INSERT INTO posts (uid, post_content) VALUES (1, 'another post');

INSERT INTO categories (name) VALUES ('test_cat');
    INSERT INTO categories (name) VALUES ('another_cat');

INSERT INTO cat_posts_map (pid, cat_id) VALUES (1, 1);
    INSERT INTO cat_posts_map (pid, cat_id) VALUES (1, 2); -- put post 1 in both categories

INSERT INTO comments (uid, pid, comment_body) VALUES (1, 1, 'comment 1');
    INSERT INTO comments (uid, pid, comment_body) VALUES (2, 1, 'comment 2, new user');
    Alright, so let's get post id 1, and all of it's associated data:
    Code:
    SELECT posts.*, users.*, categories.* FROM posts, users, categories, cat_posts_map
       WHERE
          posts.pid = 1 AND
          posts.uid = users.uid AND
          posts.pid = cat_posts_map.pid AND
          cat_posts_map.cat_id = categories.cat_id;
    The SQL server will join all of the tables together, and you'll get two rows back - each with identical data except for the data from the categories table:
    Code:
    +-----+-----+--------------+-----+----------+----------------+--------+-------------+
    | pid | uid | post_content | uid | username | tagline        | cat_id | name        |
    +-----+-----+--------------+-----+----------+----------------+--------+-------------+
    |   1 |   1 | test post    |   1 | user1    | im a test user |      1 | test_cat    |
    |   1 |   1 | test post    |   1 | user1    | im a test user |      2 | another_cat |
    This may seem clumsy, but it allows the reverse mapping (get all posts in a single category) just as easily, by changing only a single condition in the query. You may just want a list of categories for that post as well, this query is simple as well (modify what's being selected to just categories.*, remove the users table from the query entirely).

The query to retrieve all the comments for a post is similar:
    Code:
    SELECT comments.* FROM comments, posts -- we only care about the comment data here
       WHERE
          posts.pid = 1 AND
          comments.pid = posts.pid;
    This returns all the comments attached to post 1:
    Code:
    +-----+-----+-----+---------------------+
    | cid | uid | pid | comment_body        |
    |   1 |   1 |   1 | comment 1           |
    |   2 |   2 |   1 | comment 2, new user |
    The one other point I wanted to touch on, which doesn't really need examples, is that your columns should never depend on any external data. An example might be storing year-end totals for different products (with each product on a row) in a different column, with separate columns for each year. That'd require adding a new column every year, and you should never EVER modify the DB schema under normal operation (adding and removing fields is fine, but you shouldn't have to do maintenance of this type on the database). This sort of concept should be represented as two tables. I won't give an example, it's not difficult to figure out.

So I hope I didn't just waste an hour of my day. It's not simple stuff, but if you can grasp the concepts, you'll have an easier time designing databases and queries that are more complicated than a simple row/column relationship.
      0 Not allowed!

in a proper RDBMS (which MySQL is NOT), you'd reference the users table here as a foreign key)
    Tsk..tsk.

Do you have something against using InnoDB tables in mysql?
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"
      0 Not allowed!

Re: How To : Improve Your PHP Programming

Originally posted by giropets
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    if(!file_exists("layout.inc.php")){exit("Error :  LayOut File Missing");}else{include_once("layout.inc.php");}
    ?>
    I'm sure that a small error message will seem better than half a page that is all messed-up looking.
    Well erm, this is a rather masssiiive if, dont you think?
    PHP Code:
    if(!file_exists("layout.inc.php")){exit("Error :  LayOut File Missing");}else{include_once("layout.inc.php");} 
    so instead, use the more compact version..
    PHP Code:
    (!file_exists("layout.inc.php")) ? exit("Error :  LayOut File Missing") ? include_once("layout.inc.php"); 
    Thats simply (ifstatment) ? true : false;
    7 - Your MySQL Queries
    Sometimes when you're writing a PHP script that includes connections to your MySQL database, you may run into a few problems. Most everyone that had MySQL problems ran a command like this one :
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    mysql_query
    ("INSERT INTO tableName ('id','name') VALUES('1','Mike')");
    ?>
    ..and they figure out that it's not inserting into their database. Here's the solution to this :
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    mysql_query
    ("INSERT INTO tableName ('id','name') VALUES('1','Mike')") or exit("MySQL Error :  " mysql_error());
    ?>
    This is incorrect, INSERT INTO table ($keys) VALUES ($values) ... $keys must be ` ` and $values must be ' '.
    example, `id`,`name` .

Just wanted to point these out - ..
    Splamoni

www.imgdoc.net - Free Image and Document Hosting!!
      0 Not allowed!

Re: How To : Improve Your PHP Programming

Originally posted by splamoni
    so instead, use the more compact version..
    PHP Code:
    (!file_exists("layout.inc.php")) ? exit("Error :  LayOut File Missing") ? include_once("layout.inc.php"); 
    Thats simply (ifstatment) ? true : false;
    you mean:
    PHP Code:
    (!file_exists('layout.inc.php')) ? exit('Error :  LayOut File Missing') : include_once('layout.inc.php'); 
    but I am not sure if this is correct because here is what php manual says:
    Because include() and require() are special language constructs, you must enclose them within a statement block if it's inside a conditional block.
    Example 11-6. include() and conditional blocks
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    // This is WRONG and will not work as desired.
    if ($condition)
        include 
    $file;
    else
        include 
    $other;

// This is CORRECT.
    if ($condition) {
        include 
    $file;
    } else {
        include 
    $other;
    }
    ?>
    you are not enclosing the inculde() in a block, but I am not sure about that...

as for
    This is incorrect, INSERT INTO table ($keys) VALUES ($values) ... $keys must be ` ` and $values must be ' '.
    example, `id`,`name` .
    you are NOT obligated to put field names in back quotes `, it's optional..
    We don't need a reason to help people
      0 Not allowed!

Yea i apologize bout that double ? ,
    its (if) ? true : false;
    But about the ``, you dont have to put `key` etc, but it is better coding standards, plus i was correcting the original which was ' ' which wouldnt work.
    And seeming as this is about improving php coding, the `` 's are better to use.

Thanks anyways,
    Splamoni
    http://www.imgdoc.net/ - Free Online Image and Document Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

Most everyone here can probably agree that I'm not the best programmer around, so thanks for your comments about that.
      0 Not allowed!

I would just like to point out that include|require(_once) are language constructs, so you do not need to use ( ) when using them. Instead, just do require_once 'File.php';

Another comment, unless text needs to be parsed(i.e. has \n or variables etc in it), you should always use ' for enclosing strings, instead of "

Also, it is better to do !isset($_POST['name']) instead of !$_POST[name] (do this for any var, not just $_POST).

Also, someone was using globals above, you should try and avoid using globals, its a horrible practice. Instead, pass the values to the array.
    Regards,
    Matthew Fonda
    PHP Developer
      0 Not allowed!

And when you have a massive load on your server knowing how to optimize your script will be important.
    The following link will tell you some teqniues.
    http://www.php.lt/benchmark/phpbench.php
    http://DNSDigger.com - Shows what other sites is hosted on that IP/host/range.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: How To : Improve Your PHP Programming

Originally posted by websterworld
    get a proper PHP editor such as PHPcoder or the one by zend . (which is great, I love it. )

it has a ton of time saving advantages such as syntax highlighting and line numbering, 'etc.

Eugene

You are talking about Zend Studio, right?
    Last edited by JonBlower; 07-15-2005 at 05:49 PM.
    Jon
    ---------
    imgholder.com
      0 Not allowed!

Question Re: How To : Improve Your PHP Programming

Thanks for sharing the PHP expertise. I'm impressed with how PHP is apparently free and developed by folks all over the world (like Linux). When companies have their own software that they sell us along with their hosting (for example regarding forums or databases), and they charge for bandwidth as well, it's not always easy to view their software "upgrades" with suspicion when bandwidth consumption charges subsequently increase. At least with PHP there doesn't tend to be that potential conflict of interest, it would seem.

Might anyone here care to comment on whether PHPbb would be my best bet for creating a membership database, affordably? I'm hoping to gradually fill it up with over 50,000 members (if not more, ideally), and to have considerable data on each one (that they could include and update, in their own language but more often than not in Spanish). Then when I need to find members with certain characteristics, I can search the database and mass-mail the ones who satisfy the criteria.
    Ideally I could offer cookies so that they wouldn't have to log in each time they visit, and so that I could tailor the interface precisely for them and folks of their demographics to make it more interesting (and to streamline communications, requiring as few clicks as possible). I'd like to be able to represent in good conscience that the data's secure, too. Unfortunately I'm not a computer programmer as a specialist, but I know html pretty well. I'm tempted to get a hosting account somewhere and gradually learn the ropes with the assistance of the host, but it may be that PHPbb isn't really the most suitable language and I should know that before selecting a host. Affordability is a significant concern though. Any thoughts, friends?
      0 Not allowed!

sometimes, we need to have some randomized values. I just create my own random function to something like this

toss($from,$to)

inside toss is a code that will generate a random number between $from and $to...

so if i need three values, toss(1,3) will return any value from 1 to 3.
      0 Not allowed!

A great and useful "How-to", I learned a number of new things.

Why not collect it all in one file and put a link to it on your web-site.

Then people could get all the goodies without a lot of cutting and pasting.
      0 Not allowed!

I have to agree,... not boring at all!
    Nice work!
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks a lot for your tips and tutorial.
    I have done simple shop and only one page just not totally functioning.After the checkout.Customers fill the required fields and the last page they will send what they have bought.I have changed it for a now as a formular and it comes to my email but has so much code and &&& symbos etc. Actuall it does not send to customers email too.
    Could you please help for rebuilding this order.php . Checkout etc functions but just the last actions for order.php does not function. It does not send the photo etc.what they have .I have made test order and comes 5 pages code to my email.

Greetings
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by $_patch
    sometimes, we need to have some randomized values. I just create my own random function to something like this

toss($from,$to)

inside toss is a code that will generate a random number between $from and $to...

so if i need three values, toss(1,3) will return any value from 1 to 3.
    does this mean you make a function to randomly return 1 2 or 3?

Haha, you could just use $rand = rand(1, 3);
    █ Software developer, web designer, and general clever-clogs.
    █ C#, XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, MsSQL, T-SQL, Photoshop & more
      0 Not allowed!

does this mean you make a function to randomly return 1 2 or 3?

Haha, you could just use $rand = rand(1, 3);
    Or just $rand = rand(3); :-)
    Website Hosting by Rackset
    Professional, Affordable, Reliable

Web Hosting Provider
      0 Not allowed!

Okay, maybe I should correct some false statements here.

* Commas are apaprently faster than periods when it comes to concatenation
    Commas and periods are two very different things. There is only one concatenation operator for PHP, and that is the period (.).

For example, you cannot do this:

PHP Code:
    $string 'foo','bar'# !!! Syntax error!! 
    I think where the confusion comes in is when people write code like this:

PHP Code:
    $string 'foo';
    echo 
    $string,'bar'
    The reason the above code doesn't error out is because echo is a language construct that takes arguments as a comma separated list. Perhaps its more clear with this example:

PHP Code:
    echo ($string,'bar'); 
    Which is equivalent to the one posted above. So please, don't think PHP has two concatenation operators -- it doesn't. There is only one. Also, goes without saying, one is not faster than the other.

* When using comparison operators, you can either use == or === The latter will check for the type as well as the value and it is faster.
    === is not faster than ==. Please, tell me where you found this out

* switch/case is faster than an if condition
    ?? How did you figure this one out?

* Type cast any foreach arguments to avoid error messages
    This is very bad advice because it will lead to sloppy programming; mainly because PHP won't complain and will turn anything into an array. Instead, use the tools that are provided to you by PHP, namely is_array(). Your example can be better written as:

PHP Code:
    $result someFunction();
    if (
    is_array($result))
    {
       foreach(
    $result as $foo => $bar)
       {

/* ... */

}

* If you prepend a function with an AT sign (@), it will not spit out any errors. The same applies to user defined functions.
    This is true, but don't use this as an excuse to avoid checking for errors in your code. In my experience, @ creates more problems then it fixes because people don't know how to use it properly.

I haven't had time to read the rest -- but these stood out.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RACKSET
    Or just $rand = rand(3); :-)
    Hehe, nope.

Warning: rand() expects exactly 2 parameters, 1 given in /home/imdsm/public_html/dev/test.php on line 3

You must remember that the way rand works, is it takes a value from between "min" and "max":

int rand ( [int min, int max] )

You can view more information about this at http://uk2.php.net/rand

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrestrtr
    This is true, but don't use this as an excuse to avoid checking for errors in your code. In my experience, @ creates more problems then it fixes because people don't know how to use it properly.
    I agree with you on the above, but would like to add that @ is supposed to be used for functions which are liable to error when there isn't a bug. For example mysql_num_rows(), on some older php versions, will error if there weren't any rows selected by a query. This is a great example of how to properly use the @ prefix:

PHP Code:
    <?php

$result 
    mysql_query("select * from table");
    $numrows = @mysql_num_rows($result);

/* or a better way to do this, would be to use type casting. */

$result mysql_query("select * from table");
    $numrows = (int)@mysql_num_rows($result);

/* in this case, if there aren't any rows returned, php wont error but instead return 0 instead of false. */

?>

Hope this is of some use to you.
      0 Not allowed!

A lot has been said, and a lot has been corrected, there are still some small things I'd like to point out tho...

1. Heredoc
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    // Showing a huge chunk of HTML at a time //
    echo<<<END
    <font face="Verdana" color="Orange" size="3">Large, Orange Text in Font Size 3</font>
    <br><br>
    More HTML down here..
    <br><br>
    <div align="Center">Centered text</div>
    END;
    ?>
    Using the heredoc technique as shown above is best to be avoided. It's a lot slower then going in and out of php tags. The reason for this is that php will ignore parts of the file that are not between php tags and since pure html is of no interrest to php you can skip this and make php parse the page faster.

2. Variables
    1. Use variable names that make sense.

a) $string is a string, and $string_array is an array for example. $flag is a flag...
    Even better would be to use the following technique to write variables:
    PHP Code:
    // boolean
    $bIsActive FALSE;
    $bNeedsRefresh TRUE;

// integer
    $iPhoneNumber 042323232;
    $iRandNum rand(3,6);

// string
    $sErrorMsg 'This is an error';
    $sUserName 'JeanM';

// query
    $qUserInfo mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE user = '".$sUserName."'");

// array
    $aSmilies = array(':D',':(',':P');
    $aUserInfo mysql_fetch_assoc($qUserInfo); 
    To sum it up:
    1. Use the first letter to tell what kind of variable we are dealing with $un -> $sun
    2. Don't use short variables like $sun but instead write full names $sun -> $susername
    3. Use a case letter whenever a new word starts, this makes it easier to read: $susername -> $sUserName

This makes coding and using variables A LOT easier and it really isn't more work. Yes you will get longer variables but who cares, what matters most is that you still understand your script 6 months after you first created the script.

3. Quotation
    Using Single Quotes VS. Duoble Quotes
    some poeple don't know the difference between single and double quotes..
    single quotes are faster than double ones because it wont parse variables while the double quotes will look for variables to parse ..
    so if you have only hardcoded text, use single quotes but if you have variables use duoble quotes..
    example:
    PHP Code:
    $var 'value';

echo 
    'this is $var'//prints "this is $var"
    echo "this is $var"//prints "this is value" 
    While the comment about single quotes being faster than double quotes is true, it is in general good practice to use only single quotes if possible.
    PHP Code:
    // parsing a string
    echo 'using single quotes is faster';

// string with a variable
    $sPossible 'possible';
    echo 
    "This would be $sPossible";

$sMuchBetter 'much better';
    echo 
    'But this would be '.$sMuchBetter
    Not only does this make php again parse the page faster (it doesn't have to check each character between double quotes to see if there is a variable present) but it's also a lot cleaner for yourself. For example, you no longer have to worry about using double quotes inside double quotes and, when using a proper php editor as noted above, it colors the variables in the correct way, if you had the variables between double quotes it would just parse them in red, as shown above.

One thing to watch out for (which as been stated before in this thread) is that using linebreaks like \n or \r is not possible within single quotes, in this case you could to the following:
    PHP Code:
    echo "Text with a line break\n" 
    But even better would be
    PHP Code:
    echo 'Text with a line break'."\n" 
    3. queries: ` ` vs ' ' vs .. nothing
    example, `id`,`name` .
    It is best practice to never use backquotes but instead use column names that are easy to understand and at the same time arent too "general". the reason backquotes are used is to avoid getting an error when for example using the following query:

PHP Code:
    mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users ORDER BY order"); 
    This will ouput an error because the column name "order" is reserved by mysql (see: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...ed-words.html). Using `` allows you to still use these words, but using backquotes in every query you make is just not feasable, just stick to using column names that have a prefix or use names that you are sure of are not used my mysql.
    Last edited by JeanM; 07-02-2006 at 09:43 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

JeanM,

I agree with what you said, with one exception. The microsoft-like-way of being annoyingly obnoxious with variable names, table names, query names, etc..

$myhouse = 'nice';
    $sMyHouse 'nice';

There is no purpose to this whatsoever.

Similarly, in access (offtopic but I think thats where this mess started), you see things like:

tblPerson
    qFindPeople
    sString

Its silly. As if I didnt know tblPerson was a table, or that qFindPeople was a query. I think you should give variables / objects / etc sensible names, but prefixing them with characters that are supposed to show their purpose is meaningless, redundant, and obnoxious for the 'rest of us'.

My other comment on HEREDOC... I love HEREDOC, because I dont have to worry about quotation rules. I just punch out what I want to put in.. I use it a lot for queries - I dont use it to output html / text.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast