Domain market is dead except for TLD

Do you agree? My buddy, who made 100s of thousands of dollars (maybe even millions) in the last 30 years buying, parking then selling domains - he tells me that domain names just aren't important anymore. What counts, or so he tells me, is social media. Wish me luck finding unused handles in my business name! Or buying them at a price I can afford!

I observe a huge discrepancy between *.com and even *.net. I'm talking $12 versus $5000 USD. Reminds me of the collectable coin market. I don't buy medium quality anymore. But for my nickel and dime hobby purposes I don't care. *.net will do.

I am not in the market, but I feel you are right.

Having so many domains to choose from may have contributed to this.
    A questions for all you pro's, does anyone actually bother to keep their company name registered at a number of mostly relevant domains to prevent ´"hijacking"...? I really don't care anymore about that, some years ago I thought it was kinda cool to own a .us domain ( I since gifted it to some US contacts) but nowadays, from my perspective as some kind of prosumer, everything is just bloated.
    CLI is the lack of UI

As far as I am concerned, you can afford a new domain at a low price if your domain name is available. If you are looking for expired domain, it means that you want to recover the authority of the old domain and in that case, the price are on the rise and depends on the domain authority. You can see the price here : domstocks.com. The prices dépends on the reputation of the domain which are connected on the number of occurence on Social Medias and the numbers of backlinks. If you want hight quality Domain, you just have to pay the price !

So now you have @Gregory III on every social media site out there, how do you sell your services to those clients? Oh send them over to the third party checkout / stripe checkout / whatever with https://random.looking.url.io/now-pa...99gbkvvkvkafaf . Personally, if someone gave me Gregory-the-third.club and another gave me that long url, I would be going to Gregory-the-third.club every time. Point being, you need both social media handles and the domain.
    Last edited by steven99; 06-06-2023 at 02:59 PM.

The domain market was slammed by covid and and now global economic challenges; startups and established companies have held off on new projects. Domain name sales and website development is happening but it’s lumpy.

Don't think it's dead. On life support? Perhaps, but that's more due to the current recession and post-pandemic challenges. I share Scott's opinion and believe it's slowly bouncing back. Those who've been selling domains for years will find lucrative deals. New domain investors may struggle though. As for buying a domain for your business, it's always been tricky to negotiate a fair price if it's already taken and has an appealing name.
    Get your SSL Certificates with SSL Dragon: https://www.ssldragon.com/
    Secure: One domain, Wildcard (one domain & all sub-domains), Multi-domain (UCC/SAN), Code Signing.
    Validation: Domain Validation, Business Validation, Extended Validation.
    Lowest prices. Affiliate system. Great customer support.