* IPv6 for dummies? New colo provider provided /48 - how do I subnet this?

I have read some basic information about IPv6 but never used it in production. My new colocation provider has given me a /48 IPv6 and I am not sure how to subnet it and use the address block appropriately.

One curious thing I don't fully understand was that this colo provider told me that they could not issue an IPv6 block until after they have received the physical server to colocate at the facility. Could someone explain to me why this may be? is there something binding the mac address of my server to some kind of routing or switchport-specific configuration to allow the IPv6 to route?

Here's what I do understand about IPv6:
    - /48 range is routable; assigned to organizations (me). Usually used for "POPs"
    - The /48 should be broken into /52s for "Sites" - hosts should have /64s
    - There is IPv6 SLAAC autoconfiguration. It isn't entirely clear why a hosting provider would use SLAAC if the plan is to host websites on a /64 given to a server.
    - I know there are some linux daemons that will negotiate IPv6-Prefix Delegation; I don't know if this is how the upstream colo provider's uses this by default, if I should ask it be enabled or what the "common expectations" should be for setting this up.

Here's where I am at the moment:
    - Provider gave me a /48 IPv6 and said its enabled on my ports/servers. I have 2 servers; 2 network drops. I haven't configured anything IPv6 yet.
    - I would like to give each server a /64 IPv6; how should this be setup? do I need to use /127s point-to-point.

Thanks in advance for the guidance!
    ^_^

If they gave you a /48, this is on-spec with deployment. However what I have seen is that many IPv6 deployments aren’t done properly since many network engineers seem to use IPv4 logic. It sounds like they just provided you a /48. Unfortunately, you won’t be able to properly subnet to /64s as the gateway will be on the /48. You need to ask them if they will route your /64 prefixes for you (some providers will) or you can ask them if they can provide you a /64 prefix for transit and route your /48 over that prefix.

Ideally, they would give you a /64 that your /48 routed to so you can use it how you wish. This is how they should be doing it. But some will if you ask them or at least add routes for any /64 prefixes that you request.
    Travis Newton - NodeSpace Hosting
    cPanel | VPS | Bare Metal | Proxmox