* Ethernetservers - Looks promising - Initial onboarding & 1 Day Review

So after my fiasco with contabo as written in my other thread, i was looking for some unmanaged providers who provide a decent VFM and a fair support. Came across ethernetservers and signup with a breeze. They had the VPS ready within 2 minutes and it all went seamless.

However, the VPS was absolutely slow and cyberpanel on ubuntu 20.x which typically takes 9-15 minutes, was running for over 40 minutes and that's when i decided to open a ticket about my concern and intent to probably cancel. In no time at all did a response come and their staff offered to check the VPS for me as they did'nt expect it to be running so sluggish. They even went ahead & did a new install of cyberpanel which came pretty quick.

I still decided to run it my way and did a complete reinstall and this time, it went better with total time of 22 minutes .

So while i was trying to run away after the 1st install, their support times look promising and have decided to stay for now given how they offer 60 days moneyback which hopefully i would'nt have to claim .

As for the signup process and initial support response from them even on an un-managed VPS i'd give them 10/10.
    If you're hunting with 1 Bullet, wait for a clean shot !

Hello

Thank you for the review!

To provide a bit more insight here:

We're big fans of running only the latest software/technology - as we often benefit from increased security, performance, and stability, when doing so.

OpenVZ [our virtualization platform] released a new update on December 20th, 2022: https://download.openvz.org/virtuozz....0/x86_64/iso/

After running it in a test lab for a while, we saw no issues at all - and deployed it to production on a brand new node we added.

However... after a few weeks, it became apparent this new version has a bug concerning IPv6 connectivity, namely, after a while, IPv6 ARP traffic dies off, and the only way to restore it is to restart networking on the hypervisor (which in itself isn't ideal because doing so knocks out connectivity for customer VMs, and requires them to be restarted).

What does this have to do with CyberPanel, you may be wondering:

A lot of scripts make the [rather poor] assumption that if a server has an IPv6 address assigned to it, that it must have valid connectivity. That's most definitely not the case.

DirectAdmin, for example, in their most recent [unreleased] update ( https://docs.directadmin.com/changel...n-da-installer ) have implemented checking to ensure IPv6 does actually work properly, otherwise, it causes all kinds of problems down the line.

CyberPanel is no exception here, and just as bad.

The reason your install took so long initially was because of this same issue - CyberPanel assumed that just because the server has an IPv6 address, it should work perfectly, and so it was favouring IPv6 connectivity when trying to retrieve the necessary files for the installation - leading to it eventually timing out, and failing back to IPv4.

SolusVM is another good example of poor coding standards. If IPv6 is assigned, but not working, it can easily take an hour to run a software update, because it constantly tries to use the IPv6 address, times out, tries again, and repeat - until eventually realizing it needs to use IPv4 instead.

In your case, I removed the IPv6 address, re-ran the CyberPanel installer and then it took something like 10-15 minutes to complete.

If IPv6 is something you'd like, that's not a problem - we still have plenty of nodes running a slightly older version of OpenVZ which doesn't have this IPv6 bug, and can place your VPS on one of those.

I'm going to speak to the developers of CyberPanel to see if they'd be willing to implement proper IPv6 connectivity checks, just like DirectAdmin have done in an upcoming update.

We are also working with the OpenVZ developers to try and reach a solution concerning IPv6 not working as it should do.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

Glad to hear it - but do come back in 6~12 months and let us know how things are going then.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

George is a great guy. Had an issue with their VMs a few months back, loading down and whatnot (not my first rodeo, I know what loads should be on my machines), so I had to take advantage of that refund period . He left the VMs up for the full 30 days and gave me that refund.

Through talking to him, it was clear that he knew what he was doing, but , as with many, was tied down by software limitations (control panel). We tried a few things, nothing worked, but that's not his fault. Sometimes, software just has issues.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by EthernetServers View Post
    Hello
    However... after a few weeks, it became apparent this new version has a bug concerning IPv6 connectivity, namely, after a while, IPv6 ARP traffic dies off, and the only way to restore it is to restart networking on the hypervisor (which in itself isn't ideal because doing so knocks out connectivity for customer VMs, and requires them to be restarted).
    Had this too with a customer's server after upgrading to kernel 3.10.0-1160.80.1.vz7.191.4 - what an annoying bug! Moved back to 3.10.0-1160.53.1.vz7.185.3 and everything looks good again
    Fusioned - http://www.fusioned.net
    Enterprise & Semi-Dedicated Hosting | CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, Acronis | PHP 5.6, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 & 8.0
    Fully Managed SSD KVM VPS & Dedicated Servers | CloudFlare & Acronis Partner | RIPE LIR

Quote Originally Posted by George_Fusioned View Post
    Had this too with a customer's server after upgrading to kernel 3.10.0-1160.80.1.vz7.191.4 - what an annoying bug! Moved back to 3.10.0-1160.53.1.vz7.185.3 and everything looks good again
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one...

Something I'm exploring and finding interesting is that a friend of mine runs the same kernel you and I have both had IPv6 issues with (3.10.0-1160.80.1.vz7.191.4) and they have no issues - but they're running Virtualizor - not SolusVM like you appear to be using according to your website, and like we're also using.

So, this makes me wonder if something SolusVM is doing is causing problems here.

I'm going to spin up empty servers, one with SolusVM and one with Virtualizor, on 3.10.0-1160.80.1.vz7.191.4, and see what I can find...
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

That was actually on a customer's server (we don't offer OpenVZ) but indeed it was with SolusVM.
    If it's not happening with Virtualizor that would be really interesting, but to be honest I don't think it's something SolusVM is doing because I was able to find several similar reports like this:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1575431
    https://serverfault.com/questions/90...ation-requests

By running a tcpdump you could see neighbor solicitation packets coming into the node, but no NA replies were sent back. I tried many things to make it work, but in the end booting back to the previous kernel was the most sensible option.
    Fusioned - http://www.fusioned.net
    Enterprise & Semi-Dedicated Hosting | CloudLinux, cPanel, LiteSpeed, Acronis | PHP 5.6, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 & 8.0
    Fully Managed SSD KVM VPS & Dedicated Servers | CloudFlare & Acronis Partner | RIPE LIR

Those bugs sure are annoying.

I remember getting those kernel issues with OpenVZ back in the day. That and when trying to use 2x /24 subnets on different NICs connected to the server at RapidSwitch. Caused a lot of issues.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting