Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Thanks for not contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneRogue View Post
    Who is they and why then doesn't CloudFlare block the big three, or do they?

I reviewed some more logs and Digital Ocean beats out Russia and China too, as far as the origins for probing, hacking, and spamming attempts. Does anybody know if CloudFlare blocks them?
    Cloudflare gives you the tools to do what you want depending on CF plan level i.e. CF Firewall Rules, Transform rules I mentioned above.

re-read my reply above <<snipped>> - for layer 7 DDOS app level attacks, it can't be 100% automated, end user needs to provide hints to CF as to what traffic is legit or not for their specific web app. Any successful layer 7 app level attack mitigation ultimately comes down to the end user knowing their web app better than the attacker unfortunately. Cloudflare WAF rules do take some of the work load off the end users hands if you are on CF Pro or higher level plans - but then you still need to configure/enable/disable WAF rules for your specific web app's usage.
    Last edited by Postbox; 02-24-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Thanks for not contributing.
    Questions about CloudFlare are probably best answered by CloudFlare. Asking them directly doesn’t preclude you from still asking here but I directed you to their support either way.

Good luck!

Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Questions about CloudFlare are probably best answered by CloudFlare. Asking them directly doesn’t preclude you from still asking here but I directed you to their support either way.

Good luck!

I asked them here so people considering CloudFlare will think long and hard before using a man-in-the-middle. I myself don't use CDNs for the obvious reason that any good benefits are out weighted by the ridiculous price, both public and hidden, one has to pay to such a scheme.

I asked them here so people considering CloudFlare will think long and hard before using a man-in-the-middle. I myself don't use CDNs for the obvious reason that any good benefits are out weighted by the ridiculous price, both public and hidden, one has to pay to such a scheme.
    I apologize for misunderstanding your rhetoric as genuine questions.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

I apologize for misunderstanding your rhetoric as genuine questions.
    Fear not - you didn't give any usable answers anyway, but then industry experts sometime get it wrong due to their misplaced brand loyalty as they regurgitate the same old dedication to companies that deserve none.

I myself don't use CDNs for the obvious reason that any good benefits are out weighted by the ridiculous price, both public and hidden, one has to pay to such a scheme.
    Good for you. A few DDoS, a few flood hacks, and you'll reverse yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Good for you. A few DDoS, a few flood hacks, and you'll reverse yourself.
    This will probably come as a complete surprise to those that rely on its affect, but the use of fear mongering is a tactic that just doesn't work on very many people anymore. So you can know what's what, here is an explanation:

FACT, not fear mongering: CloudFlare is a man-in-the-middle and that makes their service a privacy, security, and censorship risk right now. CloudFlare cannot guarantee those things won't happen under their service. Those are facts. Undeniable facts.
    NON FACT, fear mongering: saying bad things are going to happen to someone in the future unless I do this or that which is something you cannot possible know is going to happen (as fact) unless you yourself are going to take such actions in which case your statement is a threat and not fear mongering. In other words fear mongering is a prophetic curse as opposed to a blessing.

Large corporation curse us all the time and fear mongering, if not the number one tactical curse, is close to it. You might consider NOT helping them in that effort and why doesn't someone from CloudFlare defend themselves here? Two reasons, because I stated undeniable facts and no spell in their terms of service can nullify those facts, and because they have a slew of people out in the wild under the spell (curse) of 'brand loyalty' that are willing to advertise their product for free while cursing those that don't take such advise that, if taken, has no guarantee of being effective. There are other ways to mitigate DDOS and hacking attempts (what technology do you thing CloudFlare uses?) And if a site goes down for a while because of DDOS, will the world come to an end? No. If a person has backups and their site is hacked, is the world going to come to an end? No.

You are being used to spread curses and bad will @kpmedia, and you don't even know it.

Despite the curse I wish you all the best @kpmedia

This will probably come as a complete surprise to those that rely on its affect, but the use of fear mongering is a tactic that just doesn't work on very many people anymore. So you can know what's what, here is an explanation:
    He's not fear mongering - those are attacks that these services do a pretty good job of thwarting.

FACT, not fear mongering: CloudFlare is a man-in-the-middle
    Nobody said they weren't.

and that makes their service a privacy, security, and censorship risk right now. CloudFlare cannot guarantee those things won't happen under their service. Those are facts. Undeniable facts.
    They could guarantee it if they wanted and I do not know whether they have or not. The key fact that you seem to be overlooking is that nobody is forcing anyone to use CloudFlare or any of their competitors.

You're more than welcome to use or not use them as you see fit.

NON FACT, fear mongering: saying bad things are going to happen to someone in the future unless I do this or that which is something you cannot possible know is going to happen (as fact) unless you yourself are going to take such actions in which case your statement is a threat and not fear mongering. In other words fear mongering is a prophetic curse as opposed to a blessing.
    Haha. No.

Nobody is trying to scare you or incite fear. If you choose not to use these services and you never face the problems mentioned that's great.

Large corporation curse us all the time and fear mongering, if not the number one tactical curse, is close to it. You might consider NOT helping them in that effort and why doesn't someone from CloudFlare defend themselves here?
    There is nothing to defend. We're not talking about a service that you're obligated to use - you can use them or not at your own discretion. You are obviously welcome to share your opinions on them and their competitors even if you're off-base.

Two reasons, because I stated undeniable facts and no spell in their terms of service can nullify those facts
    You stated your opinions. You can't share your opinion and then claim it is fact and expect everyone else to see it as fact.

and because they have a slew of people out in the wild under the spell (curse) of 'brand loyalty' that are willing to advertise their product for free while cursing those that don't take such advise that, if taken, has no guarantee of being effective.
    There are those that have used the services with positive results and will share those experiences. You can choose not to believe them - that's up to you. Nobody here is trying to convince you of anything whereas you seem to be trying really hard to convince everyone of your views and opinions.

There are other ways to mitigate DDOS and hacking attempts
    Sure there are - nobody here has said that CloudFlare was the only option. The most effective and simplest option would be to disconnect the server from the internet. You can't disrupt the service of a service that's not online .

Sure there are other tools and utilities as well - nobody said there were not.

(what technology do you thing CloudFlare uses?)
    I'm reasonably familiar with how CloudFlare absorbs and mitigates attacks but I'm not sure what your point is here. You're arguing as though anyone has said CloudFlare is the only anti-DDoS option ... nobody has said this.

And if a site goes down for a while because of DDOS, will the world come to an end? No.
    Probably not I imagine. Next time you get a DDoS go ahead and just unplug everything. I mean - the world won't end, right?

What a ridiculous point to try and make.

If a person has backups and their site is hacked, is the world going to come to an end? No.
    Oh man I'm glad you said this. There were so many people in this thread saying that the world will come to an end if a DDoS hits a site or if a site is hacked. Thank you so much for clearing this up. /s

You are being used to spread curses and bad will @kpmedia, and you don't even know it.
    There only seems to be one delusional person posting in this thread and it's not @kpmedia. I'll leave it up to your imagination as to who it may be.

Despite the curse I wish you all the best @kpmedia
    I don't believe you, but nice try .

Great insight and insults @MikeDVB ! You got me all figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by tkalfaoglu View Post
    My toilet leaks...
    This problem is almost certainly caused by a bad flapper or flapper seat. The solution is to drain the tank and bowl, check and clean the flapper seat and then replace the flapper if it's worn or damaged.

Great insight and insults @MikeDVB ! You got me all figured out.
    I call things as I see them. It’s always possible I’m wrong but I strive to avoid that.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens View Post
    This problem is almost certainly caused by a bad flapper or flapper seat. The solution is to drain the tank and bowl, check and clean the flapper seat and then replace the flapper if it's worn or damaged.
    I suppose it depends on where it's leaking.

If it's just running non-stop it's the flapper or the seat.

If it's leaking outside of the toilet at the ground [like onto the floor] it's probably the wax ring/seal . It could also be the seal between the tank on the back and the toilet itself - I had that happen on a 2nd floor toilet which was fun.

, and censorship risk right now.
    "censorship" is almost always spouted by a person trying to do something wrong, then crying about it.

why doesn't someone from CloudFlare defend themselves here?
    If companies spent all day "defending themselves" against trolls, internet BS, etc, they'd never get anything done. I value grassroots PR, but sometimes engaging stupidity isn't worth the effort. Others, meaning the target demographic of the product, will see it as the BS it is. And that's really all that matters. Not the ramblings and rantings of tinfoil hatters, neither in public settings, nor in their internet dungeons with fellow hatters.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

I suppose it depends on where it's leaking.

If it's just running non-stop it's the flapper or the seat.

If it's leaking outside of the toilet at the ground [like onto the floor] it's probably the wax ring/seal . It could also be the seal between the tank on the back and the toilet itself - I had that happen on a 2nd floor toilet which was fun.
    In that case, some industrial white caulk may also be a solution for the needful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muyskens View Post
    In that case, some industrial white caulk may also be a solution for the needful.
    I mean the seals aren't expensive or hard to replace yourself ... but I do know people that have paid plumbers hundreds of dollars just to replace a tank seal, or a wax ring.

In 20+ years of hosting, I only ONCE had the DDOS problem and it was solved within a day or two..

Once one of our hosted web pages was mentioned on TV; a site about dream interpretations (!) and I thought it was a DDOS attack but we survived.. LOL..

So, indeed Cloudflare is using scare tactics into selling its paranoid software.

I mean the seals aren't expensive or hard to replace yourself ... but I do know people that have paid plumbers hundreds of dollars just to replace a tank seal, or a wax ring.
    LOL, many thanks. I had to dismantle the whole toilet and it became a 2 days job but finally it's working very well.

In 20+ years of hosting, I only ONCE had the DDOS problem and it was solved within a day or two..
    Most don't experience DDoS attacks but they do happen. If you talk to any reasonably sized provider and ask them about it they tend to see a few per week.

Beyond that - being offline for a couple of days may not be a big deal to you but it is for many. Particularly those that do actually lose thousands of dollars per day by being offline.

Once one of our hosted web pages was mentioned on TV; a site about dream interpretations (!) and I thought it was a DDOS attack but we survived.. LOL..
    So long as it wasn't so much to actually choke the server / network - quality caching goes a long way.

So, indeed Cloudflare is using scare tactics into selling its paranoid software.
    That's certainly your opinion.

LOL, many thanks. I had to dismantle the whole toilet and it became a 2 days job but finally it's working very well.
    Been there, done that. Glad to hear you got it sorted .

Thank you for visiting WebToiletTalk, we're glad we were able to do the needful on your plumbing needs.

Hosting around 17.000 websites right now (and i know is a small number compared to others with millions), i can say DDoS is sadly more common than what you would expect... and that CloudFlare is a strong tool plus is free.

If you had suffered DDoS, you wouldn't say that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12