Looking for Control panel and distro suggestions for standalone mariadb instance.

I want to setup a standalone mariadb instance.

Which would be a good distro for this purpose?

Also, any inexpensive control panel suggestions? Basically, to manage databases, users, remote access, cfs+lfd. Backups would be a nice addition as well. Free or a nominal annual fee would be okay.

TYIA!

Directadmin is pretty cheap and can do all that.

Thank you. Their single domain plan is perfect, and I am already familiar with DirectAdmin.

Debian + DirectAdmin

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Debian + DirectAdmin
    Debian + DirectAdmin is great but Alma + DirectAdmin is even better

Distro is going to be a pretty long and ugly (not to mention opinionated) battle . Stick with what you’re comfortable with , with what your software works best with .

Personally, given the topic at hand, I’d agree that Alma + DA solo is the best choice . Based off of RHEL, this will end up turning into the next CentOS. It’s already shaping up to be
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Hi,
    if you are looking for a free alternative and granular control over things, aaPanel can be an excellent choice for your needs. it support automated backups as well.
    and you can install it on centos/debian/ubuntu

I'm trying to get my head round this question. Lfd? Cfs? Could be any of lots of things.

It does look from what you've said as though you are configuring a single site. In which case, why any CP at all? A VPS or dedi without one is more secure. Most of what you want to do, if it is within some sort of CMS, should be managed within the CMS. I find writing sql queries and commands within MySQL and MariaDB just as easy on the CL as through any management system, including phpMyAdmin.

As for scheduling, cron does the job beautifully.

All in all a totally free solution without unnecessary clutter, unless I've missed something?

Just use your favourite distro and load the software directly onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by dominame View Post
    I'm trying to get my head round this question. Lfd? Cfs? Could be any of lots of things.
    Usually when dealing with servers CSF and LFD mean ConfigServer Firewall and Login Failure Daemon.

I would say ISPconfig might be a good fit for this for a free option and one that would work on many different systems but would take some leg work to get up. Would agree if it is just one database, one domain, etc, is having a control panel really that important or is it more of a "perhaps we'll add more later" or "don't want to deal with ssh"?
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mihir View Post
    I want to setup a standalone mariadb instance.

Which would be a good distro for this purpose?

Also, any inexpensive control panel suggestions? Basically, to manage databases, users, remote access, cfs+lfd. Backups would be a nice addition as well. Free or a nominal annual fee would be okay.

TYIA!

I would recommend AlmaLinux 8.4 with CWP (Control Web Panel).

CWP has 2 options Free or Paid (which is minimal).
    The Free panels would work fine for you, you also can control CSF/LFD from it.
    You can do local backups, FTP, and even Google Drive backups.
    StarburstServices.com - Often Imitated, Never Duplicated
    Email Hosting | Web Hosting | DNS Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS
    Control Web Panel (CWP) License Partner

Plesk Web Admin is inexpensive and certainly can help with MariaDB management. Also Plesk Firewall is very user friendly if you prefer GUI rather than scripting.

Whatever Linux family you're most-familiar with (I personally would use AlmaLinux), plus Virtualmin if you need a GUI.