Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why WHT die?

You are right, I haven't started any new threads.

In my defence, I don't have many problems that can be solved by a forum. But I do like to offer advice, so most of my posts are replies and not new threads.

PS:
    The last thread I opened did not have any impact, no relies whatsoever:
    https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1719900
    My posts are better, because I'm not selling anything

- Not Cool - No Services Offered - Do Not Follow Instructions -
      0 Not allowed!

No need to defend yourself.
    I'm the same way, but have started a few here and there more recently. Not all see replies.
    The point was that most folks that say it's dying cite the same reason; that there's few interesting threads to read. Far fewer that say they made a thread and didn't see much participation or discussion in it.

The trend, as I see it, is for people to drop a tweet and run, perhaps join a discord channel (until that dies like usenet/IRC that came before it), or something to otherwise get in and out fast, instant reactions (usually) and move on. It's created shorter attention spans, and with it an unwillingness to invest the time it takes to post, wait and reply, which is how forums work. Add to that the generally uncensored nature of "quick platforms" vs moderated forums, and more go there lately. They still get trolled and spammed at, but it seems to be more tolerated by the user there for some reason.

Through it all, here we are. Providers still gain business, enough they keep returning and advertising. Lack of interesting discussion hasn't dampened the consumer interest in the offers here.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization
      0 Not allowed!

I think you are right, this forum acts as a google search result, boosting adverts/SEO, and provides no real content and no original posts. Thus, old users depart and new users are mostly here to place even more adverts.

I understand the owners of this forum, they see more revenue and don't really care to make any changes. No wonder WHT uses such an old forum template.

PS:
    At the bottom of this post, I see the "Similar Threads" box, showing two threads from 2004 and one from 2005... sad.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Through it all, here we are. Providers still gain business, enough they keep returning and advertising. Lack of interesting discussion hasn't dampened the consumer interest in the offers here.
    My posts are better, because I'm not selling anything

- Not Cool - No Services Offered - Do Not Follow Instructions -
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostedInEarth View Post
    I understand the owners of this forum, they see more revenue and don't really care to make any changes. No wonder WHT uses such an old forum template.
    Those of us that know the real reason know that assumption is very wrong.
    At the bottom of this post, I see the "Similar Threads" box, showing two threads from 2004 and one from 2005... sad.
    Is it sad that even back then the forum was "dying", and it just won't do what's predicted? Damn us.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by EthernetServers View Post
    You can help to solve that problem yourself by creating them You haven't created any.
    I think we are giving opinions, if someone comes and gives an opinion, the answer is discussion.

The say, well but do something you. closes the debate with nothing to contribute.

I still believe that WHT is a forum that has an incredible history, there are even Providers that are still here from its beginnings.
      0 Not allowed!

I do think a good point is made here, something I've seen on a couple ocassions now from different people, regarding the New Posts link including ads.

I think it would make sense to adjust that link to exclude the advertising category.

The way I see it is that it won't harm advertisers, as I strongly doubt that people looking for something to buy use the "New Posts" link, but rather, they navigate straight to the advertising category.

If not, perhaps it can be converted to a dropdown. New Posts -> "All posts" and "All posts (exclude advertising forums)" or something similar.

I must say that I have something of this nature set up on my side, a bookmark which only shows me posts in all forums but the advertising category.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!
      0 Not allowed!

It be die like 2 year ago when they starting add alot rules, no update forums and company get bought that what I be see on couple forum talk about

Here more information maybe why is die https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1829656
    Last edited by citytecks; 08-25-2021 at 02:49 PM.
    WHMCS Services / City Tecks
    WHMCS Development | Blesta / WISECP Developer
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by citytecks View Post
    It be die like 2 year ago when they starting add alot rules
    You're mistaken. There have been no major changes to the rules in a long time.
      0 Not allowed!

I would say most forums have been "dying" for some time.

This is probably due to the rise of newer social media platforms like reddit pretty much taking over most forums.

Why register for 50 forums on different topics when you could have 1 reddit account and subscribe to 50 subreddits ?

You get a mobile app, a much better UI ( More streamlined, appeals to younger audience ) etc..

Forums are just the big thing of the past, it doesn't mean it's dead.

The MMORPG genre has been struggling for years now and peaked in the mid 2000s, but is still running strong. So forums like WHT can continue running albeit with a lower userbase than previously.
    HostKoala - cPanel & DirectAdmin Hosting provider in over THIRTEEN locations
    - Las Vegas, New York, Atlanta, London,North Carolina, Los Angeles, Luxembourg, Netherlands, France, Germany, Canada, Australia & Singapore
    - LiteSpeed, LSCache, NVMe SSDs, Uptime Guarantee & 45 Day Money Back Guarantee
      0 Not allowed!

If it was WHT-s fault then there would be some other hosting forum that would have gotten really popular instead of WHT. But the other hosting forums are even smaller.
    Which makes it obvious people simply don't like the forum styled communication anymore.
    ▌▌HostDive.com ▌▌ - Dive into the World of Web Hosting! ≋≋≋
    Shared Web Hosting(Link) | CMS Web Hosting(Link) | cPanel Hosting | VPS Hosting
    Features: Unlimited Bandwidth, SSL (Let’s Encrypt), Script Installers, SSD Storage Space
    LiteSpeed, Backups, SpamAssassin, DDoS Protection, cPanel/DirectAdmin, -> Locations: NA | EU | SG
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostDive View Post
    If it was WHT-s fault then there would be some other hosting forum that would have gotten really popular instead of WHT. But the other hosting forums are even smaller.
    Which makes it obvious people simply don't like the forum styled communication anymore.
    Where do you have this information that other forums are smaller than WHT?

WHT is still a very good forum, but it is no longer the best and biggest.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostDive View Post
    If it was WHT-s fault then there would be some other hosting forum that would have gotten really popular instead of WHT.
    LET is far more active than WHT is and seems to be continuing to grow. Jon has been investing a lot of time and effort into it lately.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ReliableSite View Post
    LET is far more active than WHT
    Lawless forums tend to attract the finest members.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Lawless forums tend to attract the finest members.
    Maybe, maybe not. LET is not the forum it was years back, that's for sure.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.
      0 Not allowed!

While users on LET are more active on WHT there are way more users.
    At least that's my experience.
    ▌▌HostDive.com ▌▌ - Dive into the World of Web Hosting! ≋≋≋
    Shared Web Hosting(Link) | CMS Web Hosting(Link) | cPanel Hosting | VPS Hosting
    Features: Unlimited Bandwidth, SSL (Let’s Encrypt), Script Installers, SSD Storage Space
    LiteSpeed, Backups, SpamAssassin, DDoS Protection, cPanel/DirectAdmin, -> Locations: NA | EU | SG
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123