Thread: DNS Authority

DNS Authority

Hi Devs/Mods!

A client wants to tranfer his domain away from a shared server I manage for myself and him.
    He has hired a rep to do the transfer. This is his rep's request:

I'd like to transfer the domain over to another hosting company in the long term, however given the short window here, I wondered if I can either get access to a control panel on YOUR HOST to update the DNS records for xxx.com to use the Sailing Club Manager servers for web hosting and / or change the DNS authority on the xxx.com to our Amazon Web Services DNS so I can quickly switch DNS destinations.

I'd then like to as a second phase migrate the domain to TSO Hosts over the next month or so.
    I understand that he may want to change the nameservers first but what the heck is he going on about with this DNS Authority Language. It sounds like he is making this more complicated than it needs to be. Can anyone elighten me please? Why does he need access to the server/billing account? Can he not just tell me where to point the nameservers?

Regards, Mart
    Last edited by certatek; 02-23-2021 at 01:29 PM.

He can change nameservers at his domain registrar. Are you using cpanel? directadmin? you can give him access to an account not the whole admin area.
    Martin R - HOSTATCOST.COM
    Web hosting near our cost price for those on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by certatek View Post
    A client wants to tranfer his domain away from a shared server I manage for myself and him.
    He has hired a rep to do the transfer. This is his rep's request:
    The rep doesn't own the domain, your client does. So the request should come from your client, not a potential hijacker.

It is a UKHOST4U shared Business server account. They are the domain registrar at the moment. For HIM to change the nameservers I would have to grant him access to the BILLING Account. I don't think it's possible to grant limited access to the billing account and did not know that was possible with cPanel.

What is he actually asking here? In layman's terms?

Quote Originally Posted by Postbox View Post
    The rep doesn't own the domain, your client does. So the request should come from your client, not a potential hijacker.
    Yep, I get that, but the client has introduced him as their contact via email. Still, sounds to me that he just wants to have a mooch around the account! I posted this cos I wanted to know what the right thing was to do. I think the right thing is to just ask him where he wants us to point the nameservers and refuse access to the server. Everyone agree?

is that account his own account or like your account with other domains and clients? If other domains and clients, then 100% a nope. If they want nameservers changed, they provide the new ones to you and you set them . If it is his own account, with no connections to your stuff or others, and the client allows the third party in, then provide that info with explicit info that they will have access to all information.

He is basically asking for one of two items: access to change DNS records and that would be done within cpanel or changing of nameservers (DNS authority) to AWS 53 . If the cpanel account only has their domain, then give access. Otherwise, suggest they change the nameservers (authority) to AWS so they can handle changes on their own or have them submit the DNS records to you and you do the changes.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Ahh ok, now I get it so he's asking for one or the other. Both the Billing Account and cPanel have mutiple domains so I can't give access. Ok, thanks for your advice everyone! And be safe!

Why asking for access if he can confirm what exact changes need to be done. It seems like he asked for access to change the nameservers for a necessary domain name so simply confirm what nameservers you need to set and do that on your own. Giving access to the system where you have plenty of other services is not a good idea. Moreover when it's simple DNS changing stuff.