Thumbs up move website to another account in same host???

Hi everybody!

I have 2 seperate websites (let’s call them A and B) with ONE hosting company. I have one email address each: info@A.com and info@B.com and I also I have everything backed up. I want to keep everything as simple as possible.

Today I was allowed to move B into the A account for awesome financial reasons.

However I have absolutely ZEEEROOO idea how to do that and I couldn’t find the right info online, probably because I have no idea what I should be looking for. I only found godaddy or namecheap tutorials which didn’t match my problem…

So, does that mean that B’s domain name will be migrated with A’s domain name? Meaning: is it going to be B.A.com? like a subdomain name? Or do the domain names remain exactly the same? (I would love them to be seperate)
    Will I also be able to keep both separate email addresses?
    And how do I actually move B into the A account?

As you can tell I don’t know how or what to do. I’d love to right-click and move the website, but I don’t think it works that way 😀

Thank you very, very much for any help in advance!

Anna

You can't merge domain names - they are completely separate and have their own "zones" in DNS settings. So I think you are trying to say you have two hosting accounts with a web site on each? Calling them a/c A and a/c B for now? And you need to pull both web sites into a single account, by moving one of them (site B) to the same account as the other (site A) is already in? You don't have to merge the web sites, just to get both onto the same chunk of "web space". Each will keep its domain name. You will have site A and site B both in a/c A. Not only will you be able to keep the same email accounts, it would be very silly to try to merge them.

OK, I think we've got it. Now we need to know if the two accounts have separate IP addresses. Both domains will need to point to the same IP in the A records of the DNS settings (possibly AAAA records too but let's keep it simple for now). There are email (MX and TXT records) questions too, but let's also leave those on one side for now.

Now we ned to know how the accounts are set up just now. Are these shared hosting accounts, VPSs, doubtful but I'll ask: dedicated servers? Does each account have its own control panel? If so, which flavour, e.g. cPanel, DirectAdmin, Virtualmin, or which of the many other possibilities?

First, take a backup of both sites and all email accounts then answer the above, please. Following that, tell us a little about the email accounts. Are they controlled buy your current control panel or something separate? Do you know if you are using POP3, IMAP or some proprietary system?

Now, if that sounds challenging, your host will be able to give you guidance on all of it. You may be pleasantly surprised at how helpful, willing and welcoming they are to do so.

It's not at all clear to me whether this is a technical merger or merely an administrative merger - i.e., a merger of the accounts rather than the web sites. Some hosting companies give you a discount if you have multiple domains in the same account. "In the same account", in those cases, merely means that they are billed together and managed from the same control panel.

So - we really need to know more.

In fact, ideally, we need to know who the hosting company is - then we'll be able to see what kind of accounts they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by dominame View Post
    OK, I think we've got it. Now we need to know if the two accounts have separate IP addresses. Both domains will need to point to the same IP in the A records of the DNS settings (possibly AAAA records too but let's keep it simple for now). There are email (MX and TXT records) questions too, but let's also leave those on one side for now.
    * yes, they do have separate ip addresses

Now we ned to know how the accounts are set up just now. Are these shared hosting accounts, VPSs, doubtful but I'll ask: dedicated servers? Does each account have its own control panel? If so, which flavour, e.g. cPanel, DirectAdmin, Virtualmin, or which of the many other possibilities?
    * yes they are shared hosting accounts
    * no vps
    * no dedicated servers
    * each does indeed have its own CPANEL

First, take a backup of both sites and all email accounts then answer the above, please. Following that, tell us a little about the email accounts. Are they controlled buy your current control panel or something separate? Do you know if you are using POP3, IMAP or some proprietary system?
    * everything is always backed up ;-)
    * emails are controlled by cpanel
    * the data in the cpanel says that there is a port for IMAP and one for POP3

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca View Post
    It's not at all clear to me whether this is a technical merger or merely an administrative merger - i.e., a merger of the accounts rather than the web sites. Some hosting companies give you a discount if you have multiple domains in the same account. "In the same account", in those cases, merely means that they are billed together and managed from the same control panel.
    So - we really need to know more.
    Yes, you're right, I'm probably not phrasing it well. So, website A's hosting account was upgraded from limited to regular hosting and I was allowed to move website B (still a limited acocunt for now) to the upgraded regular account of website A, so that both websits will have the regular status and all the upsides that come with it. Much to my regret that is about all I can tell you, really. Does my info make sense? I hope it is helpful for you, so you can hopefully help me move B to A.

Thank you both for now!!

I just looked through the knowledge base of my host company and found this:

"Add your domain to a DNS Zone

To put a domain into a DNS Zone you do as follows:
    → Log in to your cpanel
    → Click FreeDNS and choose DNS - Add Domain.
    → Where is says Domain, fill in the domain name (without www) .
    → Where is says IP address you usually do not need to fill in anything.
    → Click Create zone.

To view your DNS Zone:
    → Click FreeDNS again and choose DNS - Manage domains .
    → Click your domain name."

Is that it? Does that move everything including emails?

If you can see you web pages in your browser the domain is already in a Zone. You do need to add the IP address - that's the A record for IPv4, AAAA for IPv6, to get the zone pointing at the right place.

You should be able to move the web site to the right place using cPanel. I think you should speak to your host's helpdesk/support team to get exact details and instructions. They may well do it for you, as it is simply merging accounts internally without any change of client details. Using cPanel they (or you with a little learning) could do it with a few clicks.
    Last edited by dominame; 01-27-2021 at 01:01 PM.

I'm totally aware that I'll need to do something in cpanel, I just don't know what. I was hoping to do that "little learning" with you guys in this forum.

I'll ask for help elsewhere.

Sorry I bothered you.

Your hosts can point you to exactly what needs to be done and they can see the exact local situation to guide you. That really is the best advice you can get.

We cannot see where you at and need to keep asking you. For instance, you didn't mention cPanel and we neglected to ask. Having access to a control panel changes the question. This is something you have just learned about the information you can provide when asking for help. You weren't to know and we all started somewhere so we're not crowing.

Supplying cPanel or any quality control panel indicates you host offers at least some competent level of support. In which case they, or the cPanel documentation pages, really are the best places to find guidance now we have got this far.