Why should I use CloudLinux on my webserver?

Is it really that great? Is it necessary?

On a dedicated server with cpanel/whm and 50-200 different websites hosted on it. (standard business sites - no gaming, radio, streaming etc)

Why should we add CloudLinux?
    Maurice W. Evans, Best-selling author & Marketing Consultant
    Powernality™ Certified Master Trainer | Meta Certified Community Manager
    Certified Guerrilla Marketing Coach (Jay Conrad Levinson) | Certified John C. Maxwell Leadership Team

The major benefits of CloudLinux are CageFS and LVE.

CageFS is what separates each user from one another. One a typical linux server, if one account gets infected, that account can infect other accounts on the server. Or, one account can consume all the available server resources. CloudLinux isolates each account using CageFS and limits resource usage using LVE so the infection does not spread into another account or that single account cannot use up all the server resources.

I have simplified the benefits. You can read more about them here:

There are other benefits, too. Such as hardened PHP, PHP Selector, Ruby and Python selector. With these, you can select a different PHP/Ruby/Python version for different cPanel accounts.

CloudLinux has a nice overview which you might want to read. They are not exaggerating their features. They do exactly as they are advertised here:

█||||[ MechanicWeb.com - Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Server ]
    █||||[ NVMe SSD | cPanel | DirectAdmin | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux | MailChannels | Since 2008 ]

Before cloudlinux, there always used to be one of the customer consuming more resources than they should and bogging up the server but ever since cloudlinux is introduced this issue is resolved. Apart from this, cloudlinux since separate each user from other which eliminates possibility of entire server being hacked after one of the account gets hacked. You might remember symlink vulnerability few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-shoss View Post
    The major benefits of CloudLinux are CageFS and LVE.

CageFS is what separates each user from one another. One a typical linux server, if one account gets infected, that account can infect other accounts on the server. Or, one account can consume all the available server resources. CloudLinux isolates each account using CageFS and limits resource usage using LVE so the infection does not spread into another account or that single account cannot use up all the server resources.

I have simplified the benefits. You can read more about them here:

There are other benefits, too. Such as hardened PHP, PHP Selector, Ruby and Python selector. With these, you can select a different PHP/Ruby/Python version for different cPanel accounts.

CloudLinux has a nice overview which you might want to read. They are not exaggerating their features. They do exactly as they are advertised here:

Can't I isolate/cap resource usage with when? Or is this more?

How is that different from multi php?

Quote Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz View Post
    Can't I isolate/cap resource usage with when? Or is this more?
    CageFS creates a virtual filesystem to isolate accounts into their own lightweight virtual environment (LVE), much like a VPS. And it does it well. I am yet to see something similar.

You can limit resource usage easily using the LVE Manager. It's a matter of tying the numbers on a form.

How is that different from multi php?
    PHP Selector is much different from Multi-PHP. Enabling/disabling extensions are easier, with check boxes. It uses hardened PHP. You can also install mod_lsapi which makes PHP a bit faster.

There are a lot of advantages if you take into account the smaller bits.

But providers usually use CloudLinux because of CageFS. It helps run a stable server which would otherwise require many admin hours and human errors.
    █||||[ MechanicWeb.com - Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Server ]
    █||||[ NVMe SSD | cPanel | DirectAdmin | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux | MailChannels | Since 2008 ]

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-shoss View Post
    But providers usually use CloudLinux because of CageFS. It helps run a stable server which would otherwise require many admin hours and human errors.
    So technically, someone can pay for cloudlinux and not have to worry about getting a management team as one site will not break the entire server ? I wonder if they have snapshots features like a VM does, so one can simply restore a snapshot if a site gets breached.

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    So technically, someone can pay for cloudlinux and not have to worry about getting a management team as one site will not break the entire server ?
    I guess you and I both know that is not the case with CloudLinux.

It helps maintain a stable server and reduces the admin hours needed to maintain a stable server. Theoretically, everything CloudLinux does can be done manually. But if you do it manually, you have to pay someone to do so, and your selling price will go up. Then when that person is not on the terminal and something happens, like an infection or spike in resource consumption, there will be nothing to prevent an unstable server.

I wonder if they have snapshots features like a VM does, so one can simply restore a snapshot if a site gets breached.
    They don't. But JetBAckup has, thought we haven't used that feature yet.

That's interesting that they can do sandboxing like that, and even allocate resources huh ? So the system can assign XYZ amount of ram usage per site, and same for CPU usage and actually have hard limits on disk storage?

CloudLinux is pretty powerful if configured properly. You can limit some aspects of the customer account out of the box, such as max memory per process etc.. and you could technically setup cgroups to snag the customer processes and setup CPU, RAM, IO limits etc.. that way.

CloudLinux also has LVE which essentially creates name spaces per user id. Similar concept, if you’ve ever used Docker or Linux Containers, they both use namespaces to separate particular tasks from seeing anything else.

The cost for CloudLinux is much less expensive than trying to hire a kernel developer that knows the cPanel ecosystem. cPanel is the part that makes it difficult. I'd recommend CloudLinux, it's a good value for what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Create View Post
    CloudLinux is pretty powerful if configured properly. You can limit some aspects of the customer account out of the box, such as max memory per process etc.. and you could technically setup cgroups to snag the customer processes and setup CPU, RAM, IO limits etc.. that way.

CloudLinux also has LVE which essentially creates name spaces per user id. Similar concept, if you’ve ever used Docker or Linux Containers, they both use namespaces to separate particular tasks from seeing anything else.

The cost for CloudLinux is much less expensive than trying to hire a kernel developer that knows the cPanel ecosystem. cPanel is the part that makes it difficult. I'd recommend CloudLinux, it's a good value for what it does.
    Is cloud linux being used in lieu of cpanel or along side?

I am not married to cpanel, I'm just familiar with it to do basic server management and easy web site hosting setup.

I am asking, can this replace the need for whm or is cpanel still needed for web hosts

I am asking, can this replace the need for whm or is cpanel still needed for web hosts
    Technically, you do not even need a fancy linux system if you are hands on and can actually provide web hosting by doing manual setup of accounts etc. all these control panels are nice to have, save on time but .. technically you do not need any Control Panel whatsoever for doing hosting.
    It all depends on how much spare time you have to spend on tasks that can be easily done by a good control panel.

Is cloud linux being used in lieu of cpanel or along side?

I am not married to cpanel, I'm just familiar with it to do basic server management and easy web site hosting setup.

CloudLinux is a Linux distro (a bit more), just like RHEL or CentOS is. cPanel is the control panel for your customers and helps with basic server management. You wouldn't use CloudLinux in lieu of cPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Create View Post
    CloudLinux is a Linux distro (a bit more), just like RHEL or CentOS is. cPanel is the control panel for your customers and helps with basic server management. You wouldn't use CloudLinux in lieu of cPanel.
    Ok... If it is replacement for my centos, that makes so much more sense!!!

Thank you