Why should I use Litespeed on my webserver?

Is it really that great? Is it necessary?

On a dedicated server with cpanel/whm and 50-200 different websites hosted on it. (standard business sites - no gaming, radio, streaming etc)

Why should we add Litespeed?
    Maurice W. Evans, Best-selling author & Marketing Consultant
    Powernality™ Certified Master Trainer | Meta Certified Community Manager
    Certified Guerrilla Marketing Coach (Jay Conrad Levinson) | Certified John C. Maxwell Leadership Team

It is great? Yes. But it is not necessary to everyone.

LiteSpeed is performance with peace of mind. Because it delivers performance out of the box.

A stock LiteSpeed installation is going to be many times faster than a stock Apache or Nginx.

In most cases, you just need to install it and forget, no additional configuration is required. No configuration required for HTTP/3. But it can be fine tuned. Due to the lack of requirements of additional configuration, version upgrades do not break anything. Which in turn makes it more stable, and easier to use and maintain.

It is also apache compatible, so you get all the benefits of .htaccess.

I must note that Apache and Nginx can also be tweaked to achieve similar performance with heavy tweaking. But this tweaking can become an issue during version upgrades.

Another advantage of LiteSpeed is LSCache. It is a full page cache where websites are cached on the server. When cached content is delivered, PHP isn't even touched. This reduces resource consumption and helps dealing with large traffic and sudden traffic spikes. It is also easy to use, and there is a plugin for WordPress. Recently they have integrated QUICK.cloud which is a CDN.
    █||||[ MechanicWeb.com - Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | KVM VPS | Dedicated Server ]
    █||||[ NVMe SSD | cPanel | DirectAdmin | LiteSpeed | CloudLinux | MailChannels | Since 2008 ]

Sure LiteSpeed can be super quick. However if you’re hosting standard business sites, they should usually perform extremely well with decent caching. You could use a CDN like CloudFlare on top and you’ll probably get better global performance than LiteSpeed w/ no CDN, that is of course if you have your caching rules setup correctly.

If you have some sites with HTTP/MySQL issues due to very high-traffic (or the server is quite low-spec) then LiteSpeed can be a great fix for that.

If your sites don't have such issues and your sites are quite low traffic then you won't really benefit from using LiteSpeed. That said, it isn't too expensive and if it isn't used/needed to handle high-traffic type sites, then it's still worth it as it can reduce the overall loading time for pages, which of course helps with better CTR/sales, etc.

I hope that helps.

The bottom line is that it does indeed help with performance which is noticeable to the viewers of your websites. Is that worth the price of admission? In my mind, yes, but the choice is yours.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Also looking for this.

OpenLiteSpeed or LiteSpeed Enterprise
    Enterprise is free for <2GB and 1 domain.

What would you choose for blogs and websites?

Quote Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz View Post
    Is it really that great? Is it necessary?

On a dedicated server with cpanel/whm and 50-200 different websites hosted on it. (standard business sites - no gaming, radio, streaming etc)

Why should we add Litespeed?
    As others have mentioned, it's almost in your hands on whether you think its needed or not.

For instance you mentioned standard business sites...gives us a bit more details. Famous fast food restaurants can have a simple standard business website with thousands of visits per hours, or a local baker may sell home-made baked goods with a standard business website with less than 100 visits per hour. The resource usage makes a difference, and determines whats needed for the job.

Then, within the 200, are they all local shops with low traffic, but maybe 20 of them are slowing everything down, and within those 20, one of them should be moved off the server? Those factors also determine what's needed.

How long have you had the server and how has the performance been? Are any clients complaining about speed? Are you associated to the websites in terms of the designs or content...or are they just regular clients who needed hosting? Do you feel the website are taking long to load?
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

if your server load is high then use it.
    and it good for shared hosting.
    good for high traffic websites

No, you do not need it.

Apache is great when it is fully optimized and there is Nginx for high traffic

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by Tomvb View Post
    Also looking for this.

OpenLiteSpeed or LiteSpeed Enterprise
    Enterprise is free for <2GB and 1 domain.

What would you choose for blogs and websites?
    One of the most important differences for me, is that while both support htaccess, OLS will only pick up new htaccess rules when you restart, whereas enterprise will pick them up immediately.

If you aren't using htaccess, or are just hosting one or two sites on a server that's not an issue at all, but if you are hosting multiple clients sites, you don't really want to have to restart OLS each time one of them changes their WordPress permalink structure or something similar.
    Co-founder at S4. We are passionate about Sustainable, Speedy, Secure & Stable Hosting.
    Ethical and affordable web and mail hosting, made easy with managed setup, monitoring, backups and more.
    Find out more at s-4.host & s-4.host/sustainability.

Apache can be well optimized and offer similar performance to LS when coupled with Nginx etc - I would say that LS is well optimized out of the box and is a drop in replacement for Apache and therefore requires very little changes in reality, when you also consider things like LSCache that come in really handy for improving WP performance, i'd say it's a no brainer if you can justify the cost.

However, if you already use Apache, don't see high loads and it performs well, there's probably little point paying the extra for LS as it stands.

It's all down to how many visitors/websites you want your server to be able to handle - A lot of hosting companies will go with less larger servers, rather than more smaller servers - In this case those larger servers are probably handling say 4x the amount of traffic and websites and therefore something like LS is going to be an absolute god send.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

Litespeed provides much better performance to memory ratio.

I often see VPS with limited ram ( < 2GB) goes OOM with apache running a handful of sites. After switching to Litespeed, no more OOM.
    VimHost >> 30 Days Backup | cPanel + LiteSpeed + JetBackup | DMCA FREE!
    20 Years in business ~ Premium Hosting in Toronto, Canada ~ 151 Front Street (Canadian owned and operated)