Animal Shelter, best domain extension .org or .com?

Is this the lounge the right place to make this post?

I know the NGO extension is available but we are brand new and havent registered in the state yet. I was trying to determine which would be the best option.

So it will be an animal shelter, but it will also be a hostel. The hostel will be totally non profit, its goal is to encourage visitors and help support the shelter. Both buildings will be on the same property.

The name of the non profit for example would be RescueHostel or something similar. Personally i feel most people just use .com for everything, but for donations and credibility, i feel a .org is useful. Since it will be a hostel as well, it will be registered on booking sites such as expedia,hotels etc;.

I suppose i could get both and redirect the .com to the .org or vice versa. Which would be best? For SEO purposes i am a bit confused as to how that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by AceMalik View Post
    Is this the lounge the right place to make this post?
    I moved it to a more suitable place

It is easier to find an .org domain available, while the same .com domain would not be available. So go that way, choose the name you like and grab the extension that is available.
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

A .org would be more appropriate for a non-profit.
    SimpleSonic - We Make Fast... Easy!
    US/UK/MY - 100% Uptime - Shared - Reseller - cPanel - DirectAdmin - WHMCS Included!
    Blazing Fast NVMe SSD - CloudLinux - Imunify360 - LiteSpeed - MailChannels - JetBackup

I agree a .ORG would be more appropriate for a non-profit although registering the .COM, .NET, and .ORG would be ideal to prevent confusion. You can redirect the other two to the one you decide to make as your primary. This may also have SEO benefits as well when you have multiple domains pointed to the same site along with a longer registration period to instill confidence in the Google gods.

I decided to go with .org and .com, i may let the latter go but for now ill keep it. I didnt think a net extension was necessary as a regular internet user i feel org and coms are the only 2 that really matter.

to be honest it really makes no difference if you are just trying to rank the site. Now if you are going to set it up as a non profit then I would go with the .org
    THG - Ingenuity Cloud Services

50+ Data Centers - 35Tbps+ Network Capacity - 130,000+ Customers Worldwide

Which one makes a big difference to some donors and to funding organisations, which are extremely important considerations as the organisation grows. Regardless of ranking considerations.

Put the shelter/sanctuary site on the .org. No question. The hostel could go on the .com or both could go on the .org.

The benefit of separating the two would be that it becomes clear that there is a separation in roles. It can be pointed out on the hostel site that it is there as a funding aid to the shelter, with a link to the shelter site. It can be made clear on the shelter site that it relies for part of its funding on the hostel with a link to it.

But that benefit is hardly likely to be huge, especially in the early days.