Is Domain Parking Worth It For The Returns? Any Other Benefits?

As in the title.

I have a couple of domains doing nothing. One is for sale, the other(s) I want to keep but are not being used for sites, mail or anything else just now.

I have a domain reseller account and it keeps telling me about domain parking. OK, sounds feasible but how do they get the visitors in the first place and how do they in turn provide income, if any?

Can income be achieved by run of the mill domains which have interest only to their own specific audiences, and then only after they have a web site to announce? And are the adverts on them specifically targeted towards **that** domain's likely audience or are they general?

Quote Originally Posted by dominame View Post
    how do they get the visitors in the first place and how do they in turn provide income, if any?
    Type in traffic, mostly. Basically, someone thinks of a domain, they look to see if it's registered, and then visit to see what sort of site it is. There is no advertising (that I'm aware of) to attract someone to look at your name. The income is from ads placed on the landing page.
    Can income be achieved by run of the mill domains which have interest only to their own specific audiences, and then only after they have a web site to announce? And are the adverts on them specifically targeted towards **that** domain's likely audience or are they general?
    Income, for the most part, will be small. Really good domains might fetch more per click.
    As for "targeting"? What I've seen is it's based on the name, and might not reflect what you think is the audience. As an example, I have one that includes the word "nail", bought for a construction company. It had ads for nail salons/products, and before I set it not to, adult ads (as in "nailing" someone, like conquest?).
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Thanks, bear. That's useful to know. Much appreciated. Probably best to just put up one pagers on my own server with my own adverts, then. :-) Unlikely to attract many visits but at least it keeps the domains "active" which may slightly help future SEO. Very slightly!