* Why, when I search on billing software, do i get a ton of threads on hosting offers

and none on billing software?

Please don't tell me about your offers. I want to find threads about billing software.

It's all in the title. Honestly. That's all I want to know. Not about search engines, I understand what they can and can't do. That's DB sql. I want to know why I reach a bulletin board with a title and its search engine can't find it.

Most likely because the term billing software is included in the content or title within the thread - A lot of hosting offers include free billing software, for example, so will be a keyword in the threads content. You'll have to use advanced search if you want a more precise result.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

They may well do, @Criot but I would only expect them to turn up when hosting offers are included in the search terms. I wouldn't expect such loose interpretation in a specific query, even in a general search. Smacks of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by dominame View Post
    They may well do, @Criot but I would only expect them to turn up when hosting offers are included in the search terms. I wouldn't expect such loose interpretation in a specific query, even in a general search. Smacks of desperation.
    Thats just how the forum software is designed - By searching, it's searching the whole forum for a key word, theres no desperation about it at all as WHT don't benefit in any way from showing the offers. The best way to find specifically what you're looking for is to do an advanced search.
    Clouveo - SSD/NVMe Cloud VPS & Web Hosting
    Cloud VPS Servers | DDoS Protected | Snapshots | Auto Backups | One Click Apps | Custom ISOs
    clouveo.com | Locations: [UK] London, [NL] Amsterdam, [US] Los Angeles

Lol OK @Criot. Not that big a deal, just mentioned in passing. I understand how it works, the suggestion being that it's dated. Nothing more. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dominame View Post
    I reach a bulletin board with a title and its search engine can't find it.
    We actually used an advanced search engine here, not the standard out-of-the-box version that comes with the forum software, and it can be quite accurate with search results once you learn how to filter. It's much faster than the default version too.

Try this: Start off at Advanced Search

In the "Search for Posts(s):" section put "billing software" (without the quotes) in the Keyword(s) box.

Next, scroll down to the "Additional Options" section and scroll down the "Search in Forum(s):" list.

Highlight 3 sections when you get to them (just hold shift and click): Hosting Software and Control Panels, Running a Web Hosting Business, Ecommerce Hosting & Discussion (those are the 3 sections where you're most likely to find threads related to billing software).

Then click "Search Now".

That should get you a decent list of threads about billing software, with no ads/offers.

Play around with it a bit - I'm sure you'll soon find out how to narrow the list down to what you need.

Yeay! Worked a treat. Thanks, @Postbox, very much appreciated.