Migrating many large cPanel accounts from old server to new server.

Hi all

I currently have a shared hosting server with +-600 cPanel accounts and +-600Gb of data, which I am trying to migrate to a new server.

I have tried using the Transfer Tool. The accounts transfer across quite quickly, but the restore takes aaaages. It seems to restore at a speed of about 1MB per second. It would likely take several days for the entire migration to complete, after which time I would be able to change the nameservers to point to the new server and my clients would have lost a bunch of emails in the process.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and efficient process to transfer this many accounts across to the new server, without all of my clients losing many emails due to a slow migration?

Thanks very much!

Let me tell how I do:

- Server have incremental backup (no compressed);

- 2 or 3 days before migration, I run rsync from old server to new server, sync backup to new server;

- Everyday I run the sync again, to sync new files from backup

- Migration day, all backup is synced on new server - just restore all accounts

- If your /home/ directory on new server is HDD, this will take a lot of time

- If your /backup/ directory is a HDD, this will take more time

Half time wasted to restore accounts is because cpanel copy the backup, to a stage directory, before restore... if you have 600Gb of data, cpanel will copy these 600Gb of data to a stage directory, account-by-account, before restore to final place. This is done even if your backup is not compressed.

But if your backup is compressed, this will take much more time to transfer and restore.

Quote Originally Posted by companheiro View Post
    Let me tell how I do:

- Server have incremental backup (no compressed);

- 2 or 3 days before migration, I run rsync from old server to new server, sync backup to new server;

- Everyday I run the sync again, to sync new files from backup

- Migration day, all backup is synced on new server - just restore all accounts

- If your /home/ directory on new server is HDD, this will take a lot of time

- If your /backup/ directory is a HDD, this will take more time

Half time wasted to restore accounts is because cpanel copy the backup, to a stage directory, before restore... if you have 600Gb of data, cpanel will copy these 600Gb of data to a stage directory, account-by-account, before restore to final place. This is done even if your backup is not compressed.

But if your backup is compressed, this will take much more time to transfer and restore.
    Thank you for the response!

Just to be clear, you're keeping incremental backups of all the cPanel accounts on the same server?
    Unfortunately my server is +-900Gb and the accounts are 600Gb, so don't have sufficient space to store backups.
    The new server is the same size.

When you say HDD, I assume you mean SATA? Both the new and old servers are Raid-1 SSD.

Anyone tried using JetBackup for migrations?

We utilize Jetbackup but have yet to use migration tool. You'd be better off reaching out to them directly and asking your question their support is fairly responsive.

Do keep in mind it's the holiday season so expect some delays.

In regards to your migration, if the IP's are changing you can transfer a few accounts at a time to the new server.
    TrentaHost INC. || Fully Managed DDoS Protected Services Globally (NA - EU - Asia)
    Reseller Hosting- Pure SSD | Litespeed | Imunify360 | CloudLinux | 24x7 Support | Mailchannels
    Linux & Windows DDoS Protected SSD VPS - cPanel / WHM | DDoS Protection | Let's Encrypt | Pure-SSD
    DDoS Protected Locations : Portland, OR (North America) | Amsterdam, NL (Europe) | Singapore (Asia)

Quote Originally Posted by TrentaHost View Post
    In regards to your migration, if the IP's are changing you can transfer a few accounts at a time to the new server.
    Only way to do this that I'm aware of, is to use Express Transfer, except that it currently overwrites all custom records too, so it's a no-go.
    Otherwise I would need to go through every single DNS zone and manually update the IP address each time.

Quote Originally Posted by chopsky View Post
    Hi all

I currently have a shared hosting server with +-600 cPanel accounts and +-600Gb of data, which I am trying to migrate to a new server.

I have tried using the Transfer Tool. The accounts transfer across quite quickly, but the restore takes aaaages. It seems to restore at a speed of about 1MB per second. It would likely take several days for the entire migration to complete, after which time I would be able to change the nameservers to point to the new server and my clients would have lost a bunch of emails in the process.

Can anyone recommend a reliable and efficient process to transfer this many accounts across to the new server, without all of my clients losing many emails due to a slow migration?

Thanks very much!
    some tips discussed at https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1787376 as well
    Last edited by eva2000; 12-25-2019 at 02:22 AM.
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Hi all

Thanks very much!
    Hence after the transfer you have to manually run Rsync to ensure data integrity.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Server Management View Post
    Hence after the transfer you have to manually run Rsync to ensure data integrity.
    Thanks so much for the reply. How exactly would I rsync all my cpanel accounts from the old server to the new?
    Last edited by chopsky; 12-30-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks so much for the reply. How exactly would I rsync all my cpanel accounts from the old server to the new?
    You can check: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...ories-on-a-vps

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

If your clients are using your nameservers, you can consider using Express Transfer to perform the migration which would automatically direct traffic to the new server. So when the first 10 accounts are transferred, they would automatically be pointed to the new server, while the remaining 590 accounts will still be pointed to your original server. And this gradually shifts until all accounts are migrated to the new server.

Alternatively, you may also want to look into why the transfer rate is so slow. Maybe a less-than-optimal network routing between your new and old server? Maybe there are a lot of cache files on your clients' accounts? If so you can consider deleting those cache files to speed up the migration process.

I think a combination of the above would help migrate the accounts across in a less disruptive manner to your clients.
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | JetBackup | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, Quebec, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Singapore and Sydney