Oneprovider blames me for their made up rules and their broken interface?

So i buy a server and select Ubuntu 16.04 and No-Raid to install.
    It says i should wait 40-60 mins, i wait hours and the message is still there.
    So i send a support ticket. This is the answer:

It is clearly stated in the reinstall page that Ubuntu 16.04 + NO RAID won't work, as a result the server crashed and a physical intervention will be required.
    Please explain the reason you decided to ignore our warnings.

At this point i'm like, what the "f* are you talking about?!?"
    A) I did not see any warning.
    B) Why was the option selectable if it would break the server.
    C) How on earth was i supposed to guess choosing not to use RAID would break a server? Why would it?
    D) Why are you treating me like a school boy risking detention? Ofc i didn't do it on purpose! Why would i? It's me who needs the server asap!

What is going on here? I never seen a provider so unprofessional.
    I had to get this off my chest this people can't go on working like this.
    I'm Interested in this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertBelgrade View Post
    I had to get this off my chest this people can't go on working like this.
    You did buy one of the cheapest possible services and they probably don't like having to spend the man hours to resolve this if it was easily avoidable. Was there a warning on the reinstall page anywhere?
    ~Tyler Morrison~

"I like vending machines, because snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at the store, oftentimes I will drop it so that is achieves its maximum flavor potential." ~ Mitch Hedberg

How on earth was i supposed to guess choosing not to use RAID would break a server? Why would it?
    Who knows what their setup is like. I don't think they would lie about it being broken just to prevent people from using it. But you're right, it shouldn't be selectable if it doesn't work, that's probably a mistake on their part.

Their answer was a bit rude since the issue was "clearly" on their part. Nothing justifies a rude or arrogant response from a tech support agent.

Also, I'm interested in knowing how this ended, were they able to get this resolved for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Imthatguyhere View Post
    You did buy one of the cheapest possible services and they probably don't like having to spend the man hours to resolve this if it was easily avoidable. Was there a warning on the reinstall page anywhere?
    1) You haven't got the slightest idea what i bought or how much i spent.
    2) If they don't like having a guy manually fix it, don't make it an option.
    This is the page in question. I totally ignored the text that mentions it.
    https://imgur.com/a/0oeEtmk

(when they say "upgrade from" i think they mean "downgrade to" i guess they aren't familiar with the industry lingo or the English language in general)

Quote Originally Posted by wurpe View Post
    Who knows what their setup is like. I don't think they would lie about it being broken just to prevent people from using it. But you're right, it shouldn't be selectable if it doesn't work, that's probably a mistake on their part.

Their answer was a bit rude since the issue was "clearly" on their part. Nothing justifies a rude or arrogant response from a tech support agent.

Also, I'm interested in knowing how this ended, were they able to get this resolved for you?
    I replied i shouldn't be blamed for their lacking interface. And they yet did not reply back.
    the server sits on "RAID CHANGE IN PROGRESS".
    So i guess i'm waiting for their guy to physically walk over there and fix it.
    I'm Interested in this.

1) You haven't got the slightest idea what i bought or how much i spent.
    2) If they don't like having a guy manually fix it, don't make it an option.
    This is the page in question. I totally ignored the text that mentions it.
    https://imgur.com/a/0oeEtmk

(when they say "upgrade from" i think they mean "downgrade to" i guess they aren't familiar with the industry lingo or the English language in general)
    1. I was referring to the company not the specific service. (I've used them before). At the price-point they offer, I would expect a few issues and I'm surprised they got back to you quickly on this.

2. Thanks for the screenshot. That warning should be much bigger and in red or something. It should also say explicitly that doing so will break the server and require manual intervention. The way it is written, I would guess it would install and not boot or just time out.
    ~Tyler Morrison~

"I like vending machines, because snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at the store, oftentimes I will drop it so that is achieves its maximum flavor potential." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I replied i shouldn't be blamed for their lacking interface.
    From experience, trying to blame them for the issue (even though it is their fault) is not the best route. When dealing with an arrogant tech, the best option if you want to get things done is to apologize and ask nicely to have the issue resolved (despite them not deserving an apology).

Dear OP,
    Wow. Thank you for the warning. Any updates would be appreciated.
    Have you checked their Terms and Conditions, and SLA to make sure they're in violation, or that they don't have some crazy clause absolving them from support in your circumstance?
    Regards!
    WANSEC- When security is paramount - Dedicated & VPS, Network Monitoring. 15 locations in America | Asia | Europe
    Visit our site or sales@wansec.com for a custom quote.
    24/7 NOC 213.785.7800 Twitter: @WANSECinc

Oneprovider is a reseller for OVH, online.net, and others... different providers in different countries, so not sure how much tech support they provide or how much is pass through.

Can't you login to ipmi/kvm and fix the issue manually? If your server doesn't have ipmi/kvm switch to a provider that includes it, you'll need it for various SHTF situations (bad kernels etc).

It sounds like they've been quite rude and I agree with OP that they shouldn't blame him for what happened. Even if he chose the wrong option or whatever by mistake, why in fact is that option available if it can cause problems?

My guess is they mean install 14.04 with no raid. Then update Ubuntu 14.04 to the required version.

Quote Originally Posted by BeZazz View Post
    My guess is they mean install 14.04 with no raid. Then update Ubuntu 14.04 to the required version.
    That would be my interpretation as well, but it's poorly worded, so I can see where this could lead to confusion.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Unless there was something clearly stated like what the tech wrote, not sure how the customer would be accountable for the issue that occurred. As another poster mentioned it should not have been a option if it would cause such a catastrophic issue. The way it is stated on the image posted by the customer. It says it MAY not install properly. How does the written statement give the customer any idea that something so bad could occur?

Maybe you can call them and directly explain what happened.
    + 1 (800) 380-5112
    Head Office: +1 514 286-0253
    WANSEC- When security is paramount - Dedicated & VPS, Network Monitoring. 15 locations in America | Asia | Europe
    Visit our site or sales@wansec.com for a custom quote.
    24/7 NOC 213.785.7800 Twitter: @WANSECinc

From experience, trying to blame them for the issue (even though it is their fault) is not the best route. When dealing with an arrogant tech, the best option if you want to get things done is to apologize and ask nicely to have the issue resolved (despite them not deserving an apology).
    Do you want him to kneel too?

No way. Provider should know that their customer is not familiar with the interface, etc...they created. They should be patient in explaining things and not to be rude.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Do you want him to kneel too?

No way. Provider should know that their customer is not familiar with the interface, etc...they created. They should be patient in explaining things and not to be rude.
    I never said that it was OP's fault. I agree it's 100% the hosts fault. I'm just saying that from experience, being rude back to an arrogant tech only makes the situation worse (especially if you want them to fix the issue for you). The best option is to open a ticket and ask to be escalated to management or someone high up you can complain to about the tech.

I never said that it was OP's fault. I agree it's 100% the hosts fault. I'm just saying that from experience, being rude back to an arrogant tech only makes the situation worse (especially if you want them to fix the issue for you). The best option is to open a ticket and ask to be escalated to management or someone high up you can complain to about the tech.
    Your advise is actually pretty sound and the OP and others reading it should note it. Everyone can agree the tech responding to him clearly has attitude problems and should not be responding to customers in that manner, especially when the very thing he's annoyed about is not even clear in any way however there is no point arguing with them. Simply ignore his attitude, avoid the blame game, be nice and try to work towards a solution. You can then create a separate ticket for management to complain at a later date once you've got your issue solved.

For this particular issue quite clearly this is not a user error, the "clear warning" they have is not clear in the slightest and they should not even make the user able to select that option if it doesn't work.
    Server Management - AdminGeekZ.com
    Infrastructure Management, Web Application Performance, mySQL DBA. System Automation.
    WordPress/Magento Performance, Apache to Nginx Conversion, Varnish Implimentation, DDoS Protection, Custom Nginx Modules
    Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Oneprovider is a reseller for OVH, online.net, and others... different providers in different countries, so not sure how much tech support they provide or how much is pass through.
    Having worked for a company they resell through (budgetVM) I can tell you Oneprovider do not have any technical skill what so ever. They generally pass most stuff off to whatever DC they use for whatever the service is.

Hell some of the support they demand is borderline full management and they pay for unmanaged servers. *shrug*.

The fact they don't support OS installs without raid for some specific OS's is very bizarre and I'd probably run a mile.
    Last edited by Dyrus; 08-16-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyrus View Post
    Having worked for a company they resell through (budgetVM) I can tell you Oneprovider do not have any technical skill what so ever. They generally pass most stuff off to whatever DC they use for whatever the service is.

Hell some of the support they demand is borderline full management and they pay for unmanaged servers. *shrug*.

The fact they don't support OS installs without raid for some specific OS's is very bizarre and I'd probably run a mile.
    OP, seems the best advice might be to find a different provider. Rude and inept is not a recipe for success.
    Steve Eschweiler - Hivelocity.net - Since 2002
    The Bare Metal Cloud Co.
    Instantly Deploy Dedicated Servers in 30 Data Centers on 4 Continents
    24/7/365 World Class Phone, Chat and Ticket Technical Support

i also used oneprovider there servers usually limited speed but they mentioned on their siteorder page unmetered which is not good.its better purchase directly from FR online official.last time i purchases around 7 or 8 servers in bulk cheap FR servers but all limited due to BW usage anyways i try to contact them but they says i have to pay for upgrade and i don't want to pay any extra so i just leave provider

its just my review that set guys!

Regards,