We are announcing that we are forming a new ad hoc group to handle policy issues arising in regards to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and other related intermediary liability concerns.

In March, the U.S. Senate formally passed the “Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act of 2017.” Our full statement on the matter is here. During consideration of this legislation, the i2Coalition expressed concerns about the impact on section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. Due to this concern, and a desire to work with advocates of the legislation who seek to minimize its impact on section 230, the i2Coalition has created an ad-hoc working group to focus on intermediary liability issues in general, and Section 230 in particular.

Section 230 has created the environment for Internet business to succeed. It makes it possible for websites and service providers to partner with others in the industry, advocacy groups, and law enforcement to bad activities on the Internet. Small to medium-sized Internet businesses have relied on Section 230 to ensure that those responsible for content are liable for their actions. Our ad hoc group is charged with ensuring that Congress’ original allocation of liability is maintained, charting a course forward, and working with those who supported the legislation to ensure that their goals are met in a way that does not damage the Internet we all helped to create.

Interested in joining the ad-hoc group? i2Coalition working groups and committees are made up of i2Coalition members working on the biggest policy issues facing the Internet today. Join the i2Coalition and add your voice to the ad hoc group. We now also have memberships tailored to small businesses.

This post originally appeared on the i2Coalition site here. If you’re an i2Coalition member interested in joining the Section 230 ad hoc group get in touch with our team using the form on that page.