Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 58 of 58
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,507
    @MrObvious, I didnt realise I could hide signatures, thats very handy, just needs 'Hides fluffy posts'
    'Hides jibberish'
    'Collapsed <1 sentence posts into comments'
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    24,009
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    @MrObvious, I didnt realise I could hide signatures . . .
    Yes, that feature has only been around for like a decade or more.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kshatriya
    Posts
    2,619
    Can use a module to do not show signature if reply is shorter then 10 character or use this words "thanks for sharing", etc?
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceHosting View Post
    Can use a module to do not show signature if reply is shorter then 10 character or use this words "thanks for sharing", etc?
    Not a problem worth solving in my opinion. Report a post works fine if someone has broken a rule, otherwise, who cares?
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    13,277
    Thank you Matt,its good to NOT BE AFRAID TO SPEAK THE TRUTH




      0 Not allowed!

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,774
    I put several users on my ignore list, when reporting them didn't turn into a suspension. All I see is a notice that they've been ignored. It works perfectly on some of the off-topic conspiracy kooks, and all of the SEO nonsense. See attached image.

    The SEO/SEM forum has been almost entirely overrun by nonsense posts.

    Disabling all signatures -- be it by the user, or forum-wide -- is not really an answer. That disables value-added information on who the person is. That's one reason I don't use the WHT iPad theme, because I lost context of who's who. In a way, WHT sigs are a replacement for avatars. I can often scan a page, and see who has replied without even reading the words.

    Even the gaudy signatures make a statement about the person -- namely that they couldn't design a box with a 90-degree ruler. There is a direct correlation between professionalism and design. It also provides insight into things such as (1) their willingness to invest in their own business, or (2) their attention to detail.

    I mostly come to WHT to monitor hosts I use.

    (I'd also point out that I was sig-less for the first 5 years I was a member. The only reason I have a sig now is because WHT members started to ask my advice on who to use, and I didn't want to keep retyping or copy/pasting my answers. I actually did that for 2-3 years before finally making an external page and marking it up with lots of notations.)


    .
    .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails web hosting billing - Web Hosting Talk - Mozilla Firefox_2012-08-19_10-36-20.jpg  
    Last edited by kpmedia; 08-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    1,628
    I agree about the mobile theme, it's default for me as I'm always out and about and need to save RAM on my mobile devices but I commonly switch back to the standard web template, just to see signatures sometimes.
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    941
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I put several users on my ignore list, when reporting them didn't turn into a suspension. All I see is a notice that they've been ignored. It works perfectly on some of the off-topic conspiracy kooks, and all of the SEO nonsense. See attached image.

    The SEO/SEM forum has been almost entirely overrun by nonsense posts.

    Disabling all signatures -- be it by the user, or forum-wide -- is not really an answer. That disables value-added information on who the person is. That's one reason I don't use the WHT iPad theme, because I lost context of who's who. In a way, WHT sigs are a replacement for avatars. I can often scan a page, and see who has replied without even reading the words.

    Even the gaudy signatures make a statement about the person -- namely that they couldn't design a box with a 90-degree ruler. There is a direct correlation between professionalism and design. It also provides insight into things such as (1) their willingness to invest in their own business, or (2) their attention to detail.

    I mostly come to WHT to monitor hosts I use.

    (I'd also point out that I was sig-less for the first 5 years I was a member. The only reason I have a sig now is because WHT members started to ask my advice on who to use, and I didn't want to keep retyping or copy/pasting my answers. I actually did that for 2-3 years before finally making an external page and marking it up with lots of notations.)


    .
    .
    I hope I am not on that special List of Ignored ones

    --Roel.
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,774
    The only people I ignore are the ones who:
    - have 100% gibberish posts
    - are sitting in mom's basement, wearing tinfoil hats, writing about _____ (insert bat$hit here)

    I don't suggest ignoring somebody simply because you don't like them, or don't agree with them. Even people I detest can post useful gems of information, and thus their non-ignored status is vindicated.

    It's the pure crap posts that I want filter out of range from my eyeballs. Those posts are distractions that take away valuable time when I could be doing something else. I don't want to read those any more than I want to browse my spam filter message by message (reading the body contents).

    You just joined, and I don't even know you, so you're certainly not ignored.

    And yes, red bolded text is obnoxious. Are you trying to tell me something, or blind me?

    --
    Last edited by kpmedia; 08-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,507
    We have another truck load of SEO crap incoming. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...duser&u=427995

    Of course this is just me on personal hatred mission for reasons unknown against new-comers... The bully that I am..

    This one has been taught well, did Top_hosting open a school?

    Here to hoping some action is taken before reaching 314 posts
      0 Not allowed!

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Scottsbluff, NE
    Posts
    1,965
    The report function must clearly be broken.
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,507
    Can only report once every 60 second, some have now been removed (that was relatively fast this time). I think it is important to journal that this is chronic problem, and reporting isnt a long term solution imho, on other sites these posts would be downvoted by first viewers into oblivion but that idea isnt too welcome here, instead several hours and hundreds of views later on WHT it is eventually reported and dealt with. In the absence of downvoting, perhaps some user moderation, i.e. for a new user <10 posts, 5 memebrs with >100 posts can vote to delete/move a post (when reached 5 its gone) and user is temporarily suspended until moderators can review and/or take-futher-action
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,659
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Can only report once every 60 second, some have now been removed (that was relatively fast this time).
    I'd been deleting them as he posted, then got busy elsewhere which is why you saw some
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Scottsbluff, NE
    Posts
    1,965
    WHT isn't Digg, nor is WHT Reddit.

    Giving users power to moderate here would be an absolute disaster. You obviously don't understand quite what it takes to run a forum the size of WHT, when most of the staff are volunteers. There is user moderation, by using the report function, because where users can be anywhere at any given time, a sole moderator cannot.

    Perhaps you should create a constructive thread outlining what you think could be done better, rather than continuously coming back to this single thread to call out everyone that you personally think should be banned because you don't approve of how they post.

    Sure, some people are legitimately spammers, however some such as top_hosting that you're absolutely sure is here to do nothing more than spam and get their signature around, seems just like a language barrier to me personally, and I'm sorry that you have an issue with how everyone else posts.

    If I typed in broken English would you assume I'm a spammer too?
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kepler 62f
    Posts
    14,774
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    If I typed in broken English would you assume I'm a spammer too?
    Yes, if the response was a generic one-liner.

    .
    .
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,507
    If I typed in broken English would you assume I'm a spammer too?
    Top_hosting zero-value* posts are not the result of a language barrier, *the final two posts (14th) granted show some research which is completely out-of-character thus I suspect is the result of mod warning. I witness plenty of language barrier issues on StackOverflow etc.. and pretty obvious what consistutes a language barrier issue vs post fluff for eventual/current SEO gain.

    Perhaps you should create a constructive thread outlining what you think could be done better,
    I continue to offer many constructive ways to tackle this (or rather throw out ideas, granted some not so well formed), no need for me to open another thread on this forum, as the frequency of occurences increase having a singular thread to journal this might help in forming an eventual solution acceptable to all - and *all* it still comes back to the benefit of a signature advertising (coupled with perceived no-follow benfits) which is creating the attraction.
    Last edited by MattF; 08-22-2012 at 03:17 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,507
    You obviously don't understand quite what it takes to run a forum the size of WHT, when most of the staff are volunteers. There is user moderation, by using the report function, because where users can be anywhere at any given time, a sole moderator cannot.
    The moderators do a great job, but whilst they are responding to 'reports' these polluting posts can linger for several hours and because a lot of member such as yourself are comfortable with low-value/fluff posts they often dont get reported until thread has been viewed in some instances 100s of times, the fact that report requires an explanation and 60 second delay between doesnt help. User moderation has been successfully implemented on stackoverflow, unix.stackexchange.com, superuser.com etc.. so whilst it comes with caveats and may not map directly to WHT it is certainly possibly, I rarely see any crap on those sites unless Im one of the first visitors to the thread (< 60 secs)

    You obviously don't understand quite what it takes to run a forum the size of WHT, when most of the staff are volunteers.
    Of course not..
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    34,659
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    as the frequency of occurences increase having a singular thread to journal this might help in forming an eventual solution acceptable to all
    The frequency isn't increasing, it's been the same for years and will continue for years to come.

    There is no need for a "journal", the report button works fine. You don't need to report each post by a member, a simple "check all his/her posts" in a single report will suffice
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Crap Crap Crap.....
    By Outlaw Web Master in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM
  2. Vbulletin Revenue sharing, Link sharing?
    By lavander in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 09:28 AM
  3. !@#$ crap!!
    By kunal in forum Web Hosting Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-28-2002, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •