Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The report function must clearly be broken.
      0 Not allowed!

Can only report once every 60 second, some have now been removed (that was relatively fast this time). I think it is important to journal that this is chronic problem, and reporting isnt a long term solution imho, on other sites these posts would be downvoted by first viewers into oblivion but that idea isnt too welcome here, instead several hours and hundreds of views later on WHT it is eventually reported and dealt with. In the absence of downvoting, perhaps some user moderation, i.e. for a new user <10 posts, 5 memebrs with >100 posts can vote to delete/move a post (when reached 5 its gone) and user is temporarily suspended until moderators can review and/or take-futher-action
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Can only report once every 60 second, some have now been removed (that was relatively fast this time).
    I'd been deleting them as he posted, then got busy elsewhere which is why you saw some
      0 Not allowed!

WHT isn't Digg, nor is WHT Reddit.

Giving users power to moderate here would be an absolute disaster. You obviously don't understand quite what it takes to run a forum the size of WHT, when most of the staff are volunteers. There is user moderation, by using the report function, because where users can be anywhere at any given time, a sole moderator cannot.

Perhaps you should create a constructive thread outlining what you think could be done better, rather than continuously coming back to this single thread to call out everyone that you personally think should be banned because you don't approve of how they post.

Sure, some people are legitimately spammers, however some such as top_hosting that you're absolutely sure is here to do nothing more than spam and get their signature around, seems just like a language barrier to me personally, and I'm sorry that you have an issue with how everyone else posts.

If I typed in broken English would you assume I'm a spammer too?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Obvious View Post
    Yes, if the response was a generic one-liner.

0 Not allowed!

Top_hosting zero-value* posts are not the result of a language barrier, *the final two posts (14th) granted show some research which is completely out-of-character thus I suspect is the result of mod warning. I witness plenty of language barrier issues on StackOverflow etc.. and pretty obvious what consistutes a language barrier issue vs post fluff for eventual/current SEO gain.

Perhaps you should create a constructive thread outlining what you think could be done better,
    I continue to offer many constructive ways to tackle this (or rather throw out ideas, granted some not so well formed), no need for me to open another thread on this forum, as the frequency of occurences increase having a singular thread to journal this might help in forming an eventual solution acceptable to all - and *all* it still comes back to the benefit of a signature advertising (coupled with perceived no-follow benfits) which is creating the attraction.
    Last edited by MattF; 08-22-2012 at 03:17 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

You obviously don't understand quite what it takes to run a forum the size of WHT, when most of the staff are volunteers. There is user moderation, by using the report function, because where users can be anywhere at any given time, a sole moderator cannot.
    The moderators do a great job, but whilst they are responding to 'reports' these polluting posts can linger for several hours and because a lot of member such as yourself are comfortable with low-value/fluff posts they often dont get reported until thread has been viewed in some instances 100s of times, the fact that report requires an explanation and 60 second delay between doesnt help. User moderation has been successfully implemented on stackoverflow, unix.stackexchange.com, superuser.com etc.. so whilst it comes with caveats and may not map directly to WHT it is certainly possibly, I rarely see any crap on those sites unless Im one of the first visitors to the thread (< 60 secs)

You obviously don't understand quite what it takes to run a forum the size of WHT, when most of the staff are volunteers.
    Of course not..
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    as the frequency of occurences increase having a singular thread to journal this might help in forming an eventual solution acceptable to all
    The frequency isn't increasing, it's been the same for years and will continue for years to come.

There is no need for a "journal", the report button works fine. You don't need to report each post by a member, a simple "check all his/her posts" in a single report will suffice
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123