Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    Who is Gabe? I could probably determine that if people used a signature as a signature...

FunkyWizard.
      0 Not allowed!

Valuable

I use signatures to look up and research the person posting for both context and credibility.
    I have placed my signature for others to do the same.
    I feel the majority of the people on this forum are in the hosting business or looking to get into it, so hoping that a signature will get you oodles of new customers seems futile.
      0 Not allowed!

Ah I see now, part of an email of ioflood..
    I got four eyes for a Reason

--Roel.
      0 Not allowed!

So whats wrong, with:

{size -1/black/non-bold}
    Your actual name
    NameOfHostingCompany - Url
    {/size -1}

Are people now relying with hideous signatures just to wind me up?

I think I'll just build a Chrome and FF extension called SaneWHT... Presuming I can tackle the biggest problems with a few simple regexs.
      0 Not allowed!

So whats wrong, with:

{size -1/black/non-bold}
    Your actual name
    NameOfHostingCompany - Url
    {/size -1}

Are people now relying with hideous signatures just to wind me up?

I think I'll just build a Chrome and FF extension called SaneWHT... Presuming I can tackle the biggest problems with a few simple regexs.

My signature doesn't look that hideous, Or does it?

--Roel.
      0 Not allowed!

MattF,
    You would not believe how many times I have posted 4 times in a thread helping a person with their problem and they post thanks, can you suggest where to get hosting, domain names.... So as obnoxious as the signatures are, they seem to not get noticed so much.
      0 Not allowed!

The filth has returned,reported several times, and still not banned?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...duser&u=416893

Recent highlights of last few days, there are absolute gems of jibberish if you want to browse the last month, is this post count contribution that WHT intends to protect or cleanup on a daily basis without no suspension/banning? Do anyone really believe this is the actions of an innocent non-english contributor with good intentions.. please?

My recommendation for you if you have game site and need stable and good performance, you can add some hardware, uch as RAM and hard disk.
    To avoid spam email, you can buy email applications that integrated with spam filter. Based on my experience, spam email can blocked by spam filter. This email is paid version. You can choose email applications that integrated with complete features inside.
    For above purpose, you can use some live chat application that integrated with multiple features so you can use this features as you want, such as offline message.
    Yes sure, you can integrated wordpress host with windows server. But for different applications, especially if you have wordpress with specific features, you must be add some application inside.
    Last edited by MattF; 08-18-2012 at 03:49 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Those posts made me lough hard

--Roel.
      0 Not allowed!

I like the DDOS performance one the best

I think to increase your DDos performance, you can upgrade your packages, especially for speed, bandwidth, and capacity. Of course, you should be increase your monthly budget for this purpose.
    Or the special application, use the force luke..

Various way to calculate for you if you want to do. You can ask directly to your hosting provider, or you can use the special applications for that.
    The stability of speed.

To get maximum performance, you can use the high speed of RAM. Especially if you need stability of speed. For some kind of RAM, usually have been integrated with latest technology.

Most of these have been reported of course in the last 2 weeks...
    Last edited by MattF; 08-18-2012 at 04:02 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Just so we can quit being mad about everything we don't like now, you are aware you can turn signatures off, correct?

http://screencast.com/t/UGU1yTLNT0 Uncheck the signature box, scroll down and hit submit, so we can be done with this thread.

Edit: Quite honestly, looking at a few of the users posts, they for the most part relate to the thread they post in, it just seems that English clearly isn't their first language, I don't think they should be penalized for that.
      0 Not allowed!

I looked through some of his replies, and though he's not a very clear writer, I don't see anything malicious or wrong about what he's saying. It looks like he's genuinely trying to be helpful, and in some cases offering specific and useful advice, and in other cases somewhat generic advice, but aside from the obvious language barrier, it looks no worse in quality than what a lot of people say on the forum. Just because someone isn't amazing doesn't mean they should get banned.
      0 Not allowed!

Edit: Quite honestly, looking at a few of the users posts, they for the most part relate to the thread they post in, it just seems that English clearly isn't their first language, I don't think they should be penalized for that.
    this isnt the case. It is either a summarizing bot, or a really really low-paid SEO guy (suspecting IP resolves to Philippines). If you review the profile it is a clear cut that it is all fluff posting to expose signature, true most of sentences pull words from thread starter or replies, but meaningless jibberish. I give up if this is allowed (or merely attributed to someone who doesnt speak english as first language).
      0 Not allowed!

this isnt the case. It is either a summarizing bot, or a really really low-paid SEO guy (suspecting IP resolves to Philippines). If you review the profile it is a clear cut that it is all fluff posting to expose signature, true most of sentences pull words from thread starter or replies, but meaningless jibberish. I give up if this is allowed (or merely attributed to someone who doesnt speak english as first language).
    This really isn't the case. For example if you look when people are asking for free billing solutions, he lists a half a dozen programs for that, but then recommends using a paid solution if you plan to run a real business. That's not a useless post, and it really doesn't matter why you think he decided to post it, if he had some nefarious purpose behind posting useful information, the fact is that the quality of his posts, aside from the obvious language barrier, is no worse than many reasonably active legitimate users.
      0 Not allowed!

So, this is your second thread proclaiming your personal hatred for one user of WHT?

Either disable signatures, or ignore the user so you don't see their posts.

Also, not really seeing where you're getting that particular users IP Address from?
      0 Not allowed!

You guys are missing the intent, I dont personally hate said user, I dont know him/her/it, I dislike WHT being expolited as an SEO marketing tool in fashion it currently is (where youtube comments are more logical). Yes I have mentioned this in another thread, however I use it here again to further illustrate the point that signatures are causing more harm than good.

I dont have access to WHT user's IPs, however people familiar with SEO will understand the relation.

Of course, it makes much easier for fluffy posters to use Top_Hosting as the lowest-case demoniator for what qualifies as acceptable, so I understand the support he/she/it is receiving.

@ioflood, regarding the billing post, granted that has me thrown a bit, he/she may of been warned by mods as does seem out of character with normal repeated jibberish offered, interesting..
    Last edited by MattF; 08-18-2012 at 04:37 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

@MrObvious, I didnt realise I could hide signatures, thats very handy, just needs 'Hides fluffy posts'
    'Hides jibberish'
    'Collapsed <1 sentence posts into comments'
      0 Not allowed!

@MrObvious, I didnt realise I could hide signatures . . .
    Yes, that feature has only been around for like a decade or more.
      0 Not allowed!

Can use a module to do not show signature if reply is shorter then 10 character or use this words "thanks for sharing", etc?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DewlanceHosting View Post
    Can use a module to do not show signature if reply is shorter then 10 character or use this words "thanks for sharing", etc?
    Not a problem worth solving in my opinion. Report a post works fine if someone has broken a rule, otherwise, who cares?
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you Matt,its good to NOT BE AFRAID TO SPEAK THE TRUTH

0 Not allowed!

I put several users on my ignore list, when reporting them didn't turn into a suspension. All I see is a notice that they've been ignored. It works perfectly on some of the off-topic conspiracy kooks, and all of the SEO nonsense. See attached image.

The SEO/SEM forum has been almost entirely overrun by nonsense posts.

Disabling all signatures -- be it by the user, or forum-wide -- is not really an answer. That disables value-added information on who the person is. That's one reason I don't use the WHT iPad theme, because I lost context of who's who. In a way, WHT sigs are a replacement for avatars. I can often scan a page, and see who has replied without even reading the words.

Even the gaudy signatures make a statement about the person -- namely that they couldn't design a box with a 90-degree ruler. There is a direct correlation between professionalism and design. It also provides insight into things such as (1) their willingness to invest in their own business, or (2) their attention to detail.

I mostly come to WHT to monitor hosts I use.

(I'd also point out that I was sig-less for the first 5 years I was a member. The only reason I have a sig now is because WHT members started to ask my advice on who to use, and I didn't want to keep retyping or copy/pasting my answers. I actually did that for 2-3 years before finally making an external page and marking it up with lots of notations.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails web hosting billing - Web Hosting Talk - Mozilla Firefox_2012-08-19_10-36-20.jpg  
    Last edited by kpmedia; 08-19-2012 at 11:54 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree about the mobile theme, it's default for me as I'm always out and about and need to save RAM on my mobile devices but I commonly switch back to the standard web template, just to see signatures sometimes.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I put several users on my ignore list, when reporting them didn't turn into a suspension. All I see is a notice that they've been ignored. It works perfectly on some of the off-topic conspiracy kooks, and all of the SEO nonsense. See attached image.

The SEO/SEM forum has been almost entirely overrun by nonsense posts.

Disabling all signatures -- be it by the user, or forum-wide -- is not really an answer. That disables value-added information on who the person is. That's one reason I don't use the WHT iPad theme, because I lost context of who's who. In a way, WHT sigs are a replacement for avatars. I can often scan a page, and see who has replied without even reading the words.

Even the gaudy signatures make a statement about the person -- namely that they couldn't design a box with a 90-degree ruler. There is a direct correlation between professionalism and design. It also provides insight into things such as (1) their willingness to invest in their own business, or (2) their attention to detail.

I mostly come to WHT to monitor hosts I use.

(I'd also point out that I was sig-less for the first 5 years I was a member. The only reason I have a sig now is because WHT members started to ask my advice on who to use, and I didn't want to keep retyping or copy/pasting my answers. I actually did that for 2-3 years before finally making an external page and marking it up with lots of notations.)

I hope I am not on that special List of Ignored ones

--Roel.
      0 Not allowed!

The only people I ignore are the ones who:
    - have 100% gibberish posts
    - are sitting in mom's basement, wearing tinfoil hats, writing about _____ (insert bat$hit here)

I don't suggest ignoring somebody simply because you don't like them, or don't agree with them. Even people I detest can post useful gems of information, and thus their non-ignored status is vindicated.

It's the pure crap posts that I want filter out of range from my eyeballs. Those posts are distractions that take away valuable time when I could be doing something else. I don't want to read those any more than I want to browse my spam filter message by message (reading the body contents).

You just joined, and I don't even know you, so you're certainly not ignored.

And yes, red bolded text is obnoxious. Are you trying to tell me something, or blind me?

--
    Last edited by kpmedia; 08-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

We have another truck load of SEO crap incoming. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...duser&u=427995

Of course this is just me on personal hatred mission for reasons unknown against new-comers... The bully that I am..

This one has been taught well, did Top_hosting open a school?

Here to hoping some action is taken before reaching 314 posts
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast