Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Adaptec 5405 Issues

I was wondering if anyone on here had similar issues with the adaptec 5405 card and SATA hard drives.

Brand new setup I'm putting together. I'm able to get into the Adaptec BIOS gui and create a raid10 array, but when I reboot I get the error in the attached image. I can't get back into the bios gui again until I remove the drives.

No matter how many times I re-create the array, or what settings I choose, I continue to get the exact same error once it's rebooted.

If I try to setup CentOS, anaconda will see the array, but rebooting after the CentOS installation also results in the same error (first attached pic).

It is a Supermicro 6017R-TDF
    Motherboard is Supermicro X9DRD-iF

It's connected to a PCI-E 3.0 x16 Full-height, Full-length slot with riser card.

There are 4 WD 500GB RE4 drives connected.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails raid.jpg   raid2.jpg  
    █ Pentester & IT Security Consultant

Server BIOS up to date? Along with the RAID controller BIOS up to date?

Looks like some kind of incompatibility between the card and the mainboard. Either that or you've got a bad card. I would start by trying another PCI slot, update mainboard BIOS, then RAID firmware. In that order, testing each time.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

do you have two E5 CPUs installed? the slot#4 (PCIe 3.0 16-lane) on X9DRD board is controlled by CPU#2 per design. without CPU in socket#2, the PCIe slot#4/#5 won't function properly.

the BIOS on your adaptec 5405 (18252) is way too old. the newest firmware (18937) is here:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/r...b18937_exe.htm
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    Server BIOS up to date? Along with the RAID controller BIOS up to date?
    I will look into that first thing tomorrow. I've set it aside for now.

Will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    do you have two E5 CPUs installed? the slot#4 (PCIe 3.0 16-lane) on X9DRD board is controlled by CPU#2 per design. without CPU in socket#2, the PCIe slot#4/#5 won't function properly.

the BIOS on your adaptec 5405 (18252) is way too old. the newest firmware (18937) is here:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/speed/r...b18937_exe.htm
    Yep, there are two E5-2620

Thanks for pointing out the BIOS issue... I'm going to update it and see what happens.

Nice to have a second set of eyes

Updated the firmware on the card... Same issue:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails raid3.jpg  

So here's what happens.

If I disconnect SATA cable from the raid card, I can get into the GUI.

If I remove all partitions from the hard drives, I can get into the GUI and create an Array. The array that I've created is a RAID10 array with the 4 drives. I can initialize them, and see the array fully before exiting the GUI.

As soon as I reboot after an array is created, screenshot in my last post is what I see.

Firmware on the card is up to date.

Maybe it's the new mobo? Has anyone used one of these cards on a dual proc E5 yet?

Thanks!

Yes, i had the same problem with both 5404 and 5805 together with four SAS 15K -drives they have on their compat. list.

After contact with Adaptec support they released a new firmware that they told me to try, but i never did that..
    This was somewhere around version 17899 i think..

Motherboard was X38 and X48 -based.
    Please do the needful..

Hello Media Hosts,

It sounds as if you may have a faulty controller. Have you tried any other level RAID array? Try creating a RAID 0 just to see if it hangs with any RAID array or only with a RAID 10.

The controller BIOS is the latest release, but you should verify the motherboard BIOS and try another slot if available.

If you are unable to resolve the issue please contact Adaptec for further assistance. You can open a case online at http://ask.adaptec.com or call at 408-934-7274

Thanks,
    Liz
    Adaptec by PMC

Quote Originally Posted by Adaptec View Post
    Hello Media Hosts,

It sounds as if you may have a faulty controller. Have you tried any other level RAID array? Try creating a RAID 0 just to see if it hangs with any RAID array or only with a RAID 10.

The controller BIOS is the latest release, but you should verify the motherboard BIOS and try another slot if available.

If you are unable to resolve the issue please contact Adaptec for further assistance. You can open a case online at http://ask.adaptec.com or call at 408-934-7274

Thanks,
    Liz
    Adaptec by PMC
    we ran into this exact incident before with some adaptec 5805 raid cards. replacing old card with brand new one with latest f/w twice didn't get it resolved, and it just kept showing f/w panic.

it turned out to be hard drives related. using different set of hard drives did resolve the issue.

what exactly is "error code: C9" from the screen shot posted?

media-hosts_com:
    1. remove the slot bracket temperately so that you can experiment different PCI-E slots without PCIe Riser
    2. if available, use just 2 new untouched drives and do a experimental RAID1 to test out. if no new drives available, remove all WD RE4 drives and connect them to other workstation so that you can use WD's DLGDIAG utility to do a quick write zero, then you can use them as "new".
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

C9 means the firmware is in a unknown loop state and cannot continue without a reset. The RE4 drives generally work well with Series 5 controllers so it may be a faulty drive. To determine if one of the drives is causing the issue you could create a RAID 0 with 2 drives and if that works 3 drives etc until you see the error.

Will do... I won't have a chance this afternoon, but I should have the results posted by tomorrow.

I'll ensure the mobo bios is up to date, and I will try it with 2 drives with either raid 1 or raid 0 and see what happens.

I'll also try without the BBU.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I'll be able to narrow it down.

My pleasure. If you call in or open a case online just ask for Liz and they'll pass you through to me. Let me know how it works out!

Knowledgeable replies by Adaptec...nice.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by Adaptec View Post
    My pleasure. If you call in or open a case online just ask for Liz and they'll pass you through to me. Let me know how it works out!
    I actually opened a ticket last friday on the ask.adaptec.com website.

#120427-000012

One of the responses was to disable the UEFI booting options, which I've done. And there's no difference.

After further troubleshooting today, the error seems to only appear when there is more than 2 drives connected, after an array is created.

If I put in 4 blank drives, they all show up in the GUI to be initialized. Once I create a RAID10 array and reboot, I get the error message above.

If I remove 2 of the 4 drives, the card will boot and allow me to access the GUI. as soon as I put in 3 or more, I get the same error again until I clear the 4 drives and put them in blank.

If I unplug 2 of the 4 drives, and boot into the GUI, I can re-insert two of the drives, and they show up in the gui when I "rescan" and the card probes the topology.

Now, here's the kicker, I deleted all of the arrays. And created a RAID1 with drives 0,1 and a RAID0 with drives 2,3.

I rebooted and it works fine.. see attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2arrays.jpg  

I just created a 4 disk RAID5EE array, and when I reboot it picks up all 4 disks.

Seems only the RAID10 array causes the error, which is the kind of array I want to use on this server...

Quote Originally Posted by media-hosts_com View Post
    I actually opened a ticket last friday on the ask.adaptec.com website.

#120427-000012

One of the responses was to disable the UEFI booting options, which I've done. And there's no difference.

After further troubleshooting today, the error seems to only appear when there is more than 2 drives connected, after an array is created.

If I put in 4 blank drives, they all show up in the GUI to be initialized. Once I create a RAID10 array and reboot, I get the error message above.

If I remove 2 of the 4 drives, the card will boot and allow me to access the GUI. as soon as I put in 3 or more, I get the same error again until I clear the 4 drives and put them in blank.

If I unplug 2 of the 4 drives, and boot into the GUI, I can re-insert two of the drives, and they show up in the gui when I "rescan" and the card probes the topology.

Now, here's the kicker, I deleted all of the arrays. And created a RAID1 with drives 0,1 and a RAID0 with drives 2,3.

I rebooted and it works fine.. see attached.
    Deja Vu.. I just gave up and created a RAID5 instead and moved on to other drives.
    Please do the needful..

Quote Originally Posted by dubdub View Post
    Deja Vu.. I just gave up and created a RAID5 instead and moved on to other drives.
    Wow... at least I'm not the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by media-hosts_com View Post
    Wow... at least I'm not the only one!
    No.. except maybe for the UEFI -part, that sure seems like a new longshot to me.
    Please do the needful..

Just ran into the same problem with a brand new dual E5 system, Adaptec 5805 and six Seagate Constellation ES.2 hardrives.

Quote Originally Posted by CNSERVERS View Post
    Just ran into the same problem with a brand new dual E5 system, Adaptec 5805 and six Seagate Constellation ES.2 hardrives.
    That doesn't sound promising... Adaptec sent me an RMA #. So we'll see what happens when I get it back.

RAID 10, RAID50 both got C9 error. RAID 1EE works. Will be getting a 2805 see how it goes...

So here's an update.

I shipped in the card to Adaptec with the RMA number they provided.

They shipped back a new card. And I'm having the exact same issue.

I guess they didn't even decide to look into the problem, and assumed the card was faulty.

Now I'm starting to get agitated...

I used a 2805 card and worked fine, so I just gone with the 2805 for this machine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast