APC PDU Reset Password

Hello,

I have tried resetting the password of the PDU I have here, I have a AP7951. I have tried holding the reset button in for 10 seconds, and then immediately pressing it again for another second but this doesn't seem to set the login to apc:apc, am I possibly doing this wrong? Or am I using the wrong method? Or do you have any other suggestions that could help?

Thanks for the time
    Marcus
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by msh100 View Post
    Hello,

I have tried resetting the password of the PDU I have here, I have a AP7951. I have tried holding the reset button in for 10 seconds, and then immediately pressing it again for another second but this doesn't seem to set the login to apc:apc, am I possibly doing this wrong? Or am I using the wrong method? Or do you have any other suggestions that could help?

Thanks for the time
    Marcus
    If your connected via console cable then you would press the reset button, and as soon as the status light starts flashing green/orange you want to press the reset button again.

Doing this will allow you to login using the apc/apc username/password.

If you don't have console access then you might be out of luck.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    If your connected via console cable then you would press the reset button, and as soon as the status light starts flashing green/orange you want to press the reset button again.

Doing this will allow you to login using the apc/apc username/password.

If you don't have console access then you might be out of luck.
    You say connected via console, how about if I just put something in the port, would that help?

I don't own a serial cable unfortunately
      0 Not allowed!

You say connected via console, how about if I just put something in the port, would that help?

I don't own a serial cable unfortunately
    Looks like its time to buy (Or create) a serial cable then as the APC PDU's can only be reset through local console access. (I just went through this with a pair of AP7932's I bought).
      0 Not allowed!

Looks like its time to buy (Or create) a serial cable then as the APC PDU's can only be reset through local console access. (I just went through this with a pair of AP7932's I bought).
    I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, thanks for your help, are these two okay by the way? :

Amazon : B0051FKFXQ and B000BSHJDW
    Couldn't post URLs, sorry
      0 Not allowed!

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, thanks for your help, are these two okay by the way? :

Amazon : B0051FKFXQ and B000BSHJDW
    Couldn't post URLs, sorry
    I didn't make my own so I can't say...I went with this cable here (You should check the manual to ensure it is the cable you need)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140644407081
      0 Not allowed!

I didn't make my own so I can't say...I went with this cable here (You should check the manual to ensure it is the cable you need)
    Can't find them anywhere in the UK.

I will just order as I posted, I can't see any other way to be honest. Thanks for your help!
      0 Not allowed!

FWIW, yesterday we tried to reset an APC twice using that method, and it didn't reset the login.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by JTY View Post
    FWIW, yesterday we tried to reset an APC twice using that method, and it didn't reset the login.
    Yeh we have 2 of these and both didn't work, tried on the one I have here about 100 times ^^ thanks again
      0 Not allowed!

That method has worked fine for me on AP7930, AP7932, and AP7941... but ONLY when connected via console/serial
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management
      0 Not allowed!

If you are in the UK and still need a serial cable, drop me a PM and I will stick one in the post for you as we have loads spare.

I still find them a nightmare to reset even when you have the serial cable! I think the trick is once you have pushed the button for the second time to keep hitting enter on the keyboard until a login prompt comes up, if you just sit there and wait it will just basically timeout.
      0 Not allowed!

you must have the console cable, once you get that, you press reset for about 5 sec,release and immediately press for 5 sec, release and press for 30 sec this time, that will help
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by guille13 View Post
    you must have the console cable, once you get that, you press reset for about 5 sec,release and immediately press for 5 sec, release and press for 30 sec this time, that will help
    This always worked for me.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters
      0 Not allowed!

you might get lucy and get in via the default apc username and password,

u: apc
    p: apc

otherwise you may be out of luck unless you have one of their proprietary serial cables. I was also shocked when I found out the pdu couldn't be completely reset with the pin in hole method.

best of luck
      0 Not allowed!