Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many sites are hosted usually in shared hosting on a server?

When I checked sites hosted on my site's ip of my provider using a tool, it told me that 800 other sites are also hosted on it.

Does it mean that good Shared hosting provider will not host too many sites and that we can find those numbers?

Can not we then use it as a parameter for assessing the quality of our shared hosting ?

Also what is a optimum number of sites on a server?

Well, the amount of shared hosting users on a server can depend on what the server specs are, what sort of plans are on offer and how much revenue the host gets from it's clients.

Some hosts have a lot more than 800 sites on their servers, 800 sites doesn't have to mean 800 clients either.

There's no optimum number, because of the vast variety of server spec and varying client usage.

Regards

If those 800 sites are not high-traffic sites (especially only static sites, without database), that would be okay for the shared hosting server. Can't imagine if they are hi-traffic sites, and each sites are accessed by hundreds/thousands of visitors.
    I think for a normal shared hosting server, it should host around 400 sites in average (but again it depends on the server specs and the traffic of each sites).
    Web Hosting Business Guide Book - Getting & Managing Your First 1,000 Clients in Web Hosting
    Enter Your cPanel Login & We'll Back It Up, Every Day! - SiteAutoBackup.Com
    Got WHM instead? Enter your WHM login and we'll backup everything, everyday. It's simple.

Anywhere from 25 to 15,000 I would say, depending on the provider and the nature of the accounts.

You can look at it this way: 1 account could bring down a dual quad core shared hosting server where as 15,000 could hum along beautifully on the same hardware. It is all variable depending on what the accounts are actually doing

I don't know that you'd like the "average" if you were to hear it but in all honesty I wouldn't judge a provider by some metric like account numbers and would instead judge them based upon actual performance and reliability. I mean, who cares if it has 15,000 sites if your site is up 99.9%+ (or whatever the host is promising), your site loads fast and performs well, and you don't have major issues with email deliverability?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

When I checked sites hosted on my site's ip of my provider using a tool, it told me that 800 other sites are also hosted on it.
    Probably 800 other domains are hosted on the same IP, which is not the same than sites, since many people have domain just parked on the account not using any resources.

Besides of that, it does depend of the kind of hardware that the provider use, at the end, what it does matter is if your site works fine, loads fast and you are happy with the service.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

There is another factor that hasn't been mentioned. Reverse IP tools are usually culled from search engine results and other un-official sources. I have seen domains of mine that had expired years before still listed as "active" on a reverse IP search, so I know they aren't accurate.

It really depends on the specs on the server and the types of sites hosted on it - it is possible to host 800 sites on a server without any issues
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

It's normal. I you have any problem with your site, only than worry.

I you have any problem with your site, only than worry.
    That is wise. But as for the research, I think the service provider should have limits corresponding to the server resources. No one will host with the company giving not enough resources.

However, they sometimes give resource to one (who is more stable client, pays more, etc) taking them off from another who is just regular static site owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-GV View Post
    Well, the amount of shared hosting users on a server can depend on what the server specs are, what sort of plans are on offer and how much revenue the host gets from it's clients.

Some hosts have a lot more than 800 sites on their servers, 800 sites doesn't have to mean 800 clients either.

There's no optimum number, because of the vast variety of server spec and varying client usage.

Regards
    On what logic do hosting provider add accounts in Shared hosting? I mean if I add two sites in my shared hosting account with Godaddy which server will they eventually host them on? At least I think all my sites will be hosted on single server/ip.
    In that case they'd be keeping tab on resource usage on a server before allocating a new site to another server.

Quote Originally Posted by anandkumar View Post
    It's normal. I you have any problem with your site, only than worry.
    Is it really possible to completely avoid short burst of timeouts/bottlenecks in case of Shared hosting? It means problems will always be there, but how frequently it occurs -- this is important.
    In shared hosting it's always possible for a website to hijack the server momentarily. Isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by chandrabhan View Post

Does it mean that good Shared hosting provider will not host too many sites and that we can find those numbers?

Can not we then use it as a parameter for assessing the quality of our shared hosting ?

Also what is a optimum number of sites on a server?
    It really can't be a parameter...
    One server could hold 2000 accounts, while another holds 500, so it wouldn't be suitable to make a benchmark just from that really.

Load and your average speed are the best initial things to monitor.

As you see, the shared hosting plan is provided more and more cheaper. It's quite normal to increase customer accounts on hosting server. But that doesn't mean it's bad, as long as the server is powerful enough then it will be able to handle that amount accounts.

There is no harm in using these much websites under a shared ip. We can use from 800 - 15000 sites under a single ip , provided the hardware must be capable of handling these much of site. Regarding IP reputation, If any of these site are spammers then you may be in trouble. That is the only issue in using the shared ip.

If your web hosting provider is using cpanel, a good way to know if your host is overcrowding your server is by logging into your cpanel and checking the load of the server you are on. If the load is constantly over loaded (example: if the server has 4 cores and is constantly above 4 in regards to the server load), then your web host has over crowded the server.
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by suportatsp View Post
    There is no harm in using these much websites under a shared ip. We can use from 800 - 15000 sites under a single ip , provided the hardware must be capable of handling these much of site. Regarding IP reputation, If any of these site are spammers then you may be in trouble. That is the only issue in using the shared ip.

With that, the best thing to do is monitor everything.
    I have systems in place that check for those keywords that spammers love to use, even searches for variations to find those hiding.

But in reality, you have to use alot of trust and common sense as a host, and know the signs of a mailspammer.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    If your web hosting provider is using cpanel, a good way to know if your host is overcrowding your server is by logging into your cpanel and checking the load of the server you are on. If the load is constantly over loaded (example: if the server has 4 cores and is constantly above 4 in regards to the server load), then your web host has over crowded the server.
    Is it possible in Shared Hosting account ?

Is it really possible to completely avoid short burst of timeouts/bottlenecks in case of Shared hosting? It means problems will always be there, but how frequently it occurs -- this is important.
    In shared hosting it's always possible for a website to hijack the server momentarily. Isn't it?
    Very true! But 800 is not the thing one should worry. Its common many you may see some servers have hosted as many as 1500 sites.

I have seen a hosting business sale offer here at WHT where 13,000 clients were placed on a single server.
    So, probably any number we can think of is low.
    Numbers matter only for the hosts caring for the customers, who care of long term betterment of their customers and in turn for their own business.

Unbelievable to me 13,000. Are you joking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anandkumar View Post
    Unbelievable to me 13,000. Are you joking!!!
    Unfortunately not.
    Offer is up for grabs here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7434241

It is a good offer looking at number of customers one would get, but having all 13K of them on single server may prove to be a bit unmanageable.

Is it possible in Shared Hosting account ?
    yes, this option is also available in shared hosting. log into cpanel. next to service status click on Click to View

XXXVII. apayan

the number of sites hosting depends on the hosting company. generally, most sites have an average of 60 sites per server

13,000 sites on a single server? That has to be some kick ass hardware and account monitoring.
    Hosting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapeBoss View Post
    the number of sites hosting depends on the hosting company. generally, most sites have an average of 60 sites per server
    From where did you get this figure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast