Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

let us expose hosting-reviews-exposed.com

I guess you guys have already watched this video, youtube.com/watch?v=V8PidNJLrek

This video got 160,171 views. under video you can see a link that goes to uploader's website.

This guy is making money by exposing web hosting scams. I think this guy is not serious and just running his blog to make his own living by befooling average users.

1. he is a hypocrite. According to him affiliate marketing is evil but himself making money with adsense and affiliate marketing. you can see banners at his website.
    2. He is making his living by bashing others. I am not a regular member of his blog so can't say how accurate his finding are.

What do yo guys think. Please correct me if i am wrong.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    I am not sure he is a hypocrite. He is putting ads on his site, as well as having a news letter to most likely sell other things to his visitors, but I don't see the same hidden agenda.

I am a web host, and have been for about 12 years now. I used to advertise on those sites, until I realized what they were doing... this was back when it was cheap to advertise hosting.
    I found that if you paid for buttons or banners on their sites, your listing suddenly went towards the top of the list. I found other sites that only listed 10 to 20 sites... all paid positions.

Yes, it is fraud, in every sense of the word. They tell you their are top host, but in reality, they are only top PAYING hosts.

it is nothing new. It came out many years ago. I am glad though that someone finally put up a site against it. Hopefully, he is making good ad revenue from his site, to support the bandwidth he is probably using.

As for the youtube page... that just confuses me. Why do all those people that watched his video think that the governments should be paying for them to have a website. Why do they think it should be free ?? has me completely baffled..

Hosting is like renting a house. You pay a monthly fee, and you get space. Should you get a house for free too? Why should you pay to eat when there is food all over the planet..
    Look,, now I am ranting on the ranters... it must be contagious. LOL

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for sharing your experience and views. i am new to web hosting business.

but i still think he is a hypocrite and main purpose of running this website is making money.

you can see in his video he is calling affiliate marketing an evil but doing himself?
      0 Not allowed!

I'm with superiorhost on this one. He's making money from his website by exposing web hosts/web hosting review sites but he's not doing the same as them. Most websites online exist to make money and he's do just that.

I find it refreshing to see such a site
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Web Hosting Templates for WHMCS Templates | WordPress | HTML | Blesta | Clientexec
    █ Professional WHMCS Services | Installation | Configuration | Integration | Upgrades
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by superiorhost View Post
    As for the youtube page... that just confuses me. Why do all those people that watched his video think that the governments should be paying for them to have a website. Why do they think it should be free ?? has me completely baffled..

I also found that very funny
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Web Hosting Templates for WHMCS Templates | WordPress | HTML | Blesta | Clientexec
    █ Professional WHMCS Services | Installation | Configuration | Integration | Upgrades
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by superiorhost View Post

Hosting is like renting a house. You pay a monthly fee, and you get space. Should you get a house for free too? Why should you pay to eat when there is food all over the planet..
    Look,, now I am ranting on the ranters... it must be contagious. LOL

Tim L
    Yep, it is a freeloading society, they have already found that the government will pay for housing and food... Now they want hosting and domains... It is time to stop the insanity.

The OP's noted video and site would appear to be a waste of space and time. The information is already well known. Just more of the current drivel on the 'Net.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for sharing the video/link. For me it makes sense. I also visited his site and I don't see anything wrong there. Anyway, we have different point of views.
      0 Not allowed!

I like the fact that he points that stuff out. So many new users to web hosting don't know anything but what is on a review site and the top slots are the winner in most cases. I am a web host as well and don't really like the fact that so many hosts buy their top slots on sites that are supposed to be review sites for the consumer. But, that is how it is and although it doesn't always work, it is still feeding consumers false information.

Having ads on his site to pay himself and his bills if fine. Isn't that the way of the internet? I will say that it seems a bit questionable that he is bashing hosts while having affiliate or ad banners to other hosts on his site. I don't see a review on the hosts he is advertising. It doesn't really mean much though. He hasn't said anything about the hosts that he did review that can't be found by an average user and Google.
      0 Not allowed!

I see his site non hypercritical, because he is not saying hey, these are the best ones I could find... he is just selling ad space and ad space as such is not wrong in any way.

Now these alleged top 10 and such sites, that list the highest bidder at the top,,, those are the fraud sites. I salute him for helping inform new comers and hopes he keeps it going.

TiM L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by webhostingrvw View Post
    1. he is a hypocrite. According to him affiliate marketing is evil but himself making money with adsense and affiliate marketing. you can see banners at his website.
    The system is evil and bad for all of us, UNLESS I own the system and the I must say that is perfect and no changes are needed.

Lot's of people making money selling fear and conspirations. You just have to skip over them as you will get nothing out of it.
    Coupon Site Script - Turnkey Affiliate Moneymaking Business

Code Coupon Discount - Coupon Site Script in Action
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with Superiorhost ... the comments on the YouTube page are pretty stunning. The only thing I can figure is the author has not paid taxes yet, and doesn't realize that nothing is really free. The emotional age of "@reviewsexposed" seems to be about 14.

His site is an exercise in snark, cynical and over-the-top, but not hypocritical per se. I assume since he thinks everything should be free he is donating all proceeds to the EFF or sending it immediately to the FTC so they can apply it toward an open internet initiative. Or maybe he is just a tiny bit hypocritical, but he has to be, because the evil corporations are still charging dirty money for iPhones.
      0 Not allowed!

@ fshagan

i guess you misunderstood. These are jimmimak's views not reviewsexposed.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello Everyone,

I am Benjamin from hosting-reviews-exposed.com

Just to be clear on a few things:

1. I am not against affiliate programs, I am against review sites that tell people that a company is good all because they get a high pay out from affiliate programs (i.e. so called top 10 sites). I ran 4 hosting companies myself 3 of which had their own affiliate programs. Admittedly I am not happy with the high payouts which in some cases is as much as a initial hosting payment, but thats my opinion. You might note I actually do have some affiliate programs linked to my site, granted none of them are related to hosting.

2. In regards to the comments on my video. It was not me that wants a hand out from the government. It was someone that was commenting on my video (A video that is getting on 4 years old). I regret approving his first few comments, and soon stopped because clearly he was going to turn my video into a debate on why everything should be free. Though in hind site comments do help increase traffic. I was actually trying to explain to jimmimak why I am not for his free domain idea. My comment to him was:

“If domain was the only thing I had to worry about I would be a very rich man. How do you propose we have the satellites, the copper wires, and other parts of service paid for if those things you wished were free?”

Comments that start with @reviewsexposed are directed to me, not by me.

The last two posters did a better job of a counter argument with jimmimak then I did.

Having been a hosting provider for 11 years I am not too keen on the idea of my taxes paying for free websites especially when having ran free trial programs that still makes me want to tear my hair out. Can anyone tell me ten successful sites that use free hosting and domains? I believe if you pay for your hosting and domains you have a greater motivation to get things going.

3. This month I am making just short of $100 on Google adsense. Nothing on any of the other ads. Not to mention it was not until I believe October 2010 that site actually started paying for its own hosting. Keep in mind the site was started in November 2007, and I started the blog May 2010. If I need technical expertise that usually comes out of my own pockets. So basically I make enough money to pay the hosting and not much else beyond that. Perhaps in time that will change, but I am not going bet the farm on that.

4. If you read my blog you will see I was never the technical or marketing side of things, I was the administration / paper pusher. I am more of a graphics person (hence what is paying for the roof over my head after selling off my shares in those hosting companies I mentioned). While I do have a pop up and a area on the side of my blog I have yet to actually do a mail out. Partly because I have no idea how to run the software that I paid someone to install, another is I am not sure what to say. It was a friend's idea that I install that to collect emails to tell people every time I do a post. 129 blog posts later I have yet to do a single mass mail out.

5. Its not just review sites like webhostingstuff.com and the sites that use them that I am after. Its also hosts that spam, other companies that spam like a seo company that harvested my email by using my contact form to spam me, or scams like the mail spam company Domain Registry of America (droa.com). After all who likes spam?

After a year of looking for the weak links in the armor of hosts that appeared on webhostingstuff.com, your going to start seeing where I start actually working with hosts to improve their weak links. I was never out to destroy anyone, I was looking for reform.

Regards,

Benjamin
      0 Not allowed!

I think what he's doing is completely legitimate.

Yes, he's driving traffic to his site, where he has ads, affil links, etc. So what. It's not just an empty page with blinking ads - he has a lot of posts. I actually read his web site a couple months ago, long before I was aware of this YT video.

I think he aims to be something like Ripoff Reports for web hosting. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it looks to me like he's put some legit effort into it.

The video is nicely produced, BTW. That 3:32 is probably a couple days' editing work if he's experienced - much more if he's not. But it needs some sound.

BTW, ReviewsExposed, I love ElegantThemes WP themes, too :-)
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ReviewsExposed View Post
    Comments that start with @reviewsexposed are directed to me, not by me.
    Sorry, Benjamin! I did mistake those for your comments, and not those of a YouTube visitor. I take back all the nasty things I said about you!
      0 Not allowed!

@raindog308 Thanks normally I go with a custom theme.

I am not sure the point is to become like ripoffreport, after all they have a paid for service to clean things up. Most of what I post a host can resolve on their own (and some have). I suppose I could offer a paid for service on how to deal with customers, but the deal is off if I had to meet in person because I don't wear suits.

@fshagan No worries glad to set the record straight :-)
      0 Not allowed!

That was one of the most ridiculous videos I have seen in a while. If the owner had anything to do with the content of that video he is clueless to how the webhosting industry works and therefore should stop trying to review it.

What I think is more realistic is that he is an oridnary guy who has been ripped off by a few fly by night hosts in the past and wants to eliminate or exploit poor service providers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by webguyjmo View Post
    That was one of the most ridiculous videos I have seen in a while. If the owner had anything to do with the content of that video he is clueless to how the webhosting industry works and therefore should stop trying to review it.

What I think is more realistic is that he is an oridnary guy who has been ripped off by a few fly by night hosts in the past and wants to eliminate or exploit poor service providers.
    Your welcome to your opinion on my video, and on me. But to set the record straight I was never ripped off by fly by night hosts.

Also a lot of the hosts I reviewed were not poor service providers.
    Last edited by ReviewsExposed; 04-29-2011 at 03:33 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I rather like the site, it's refreshing to see somebody doing something contrary to the norm (i.e. shilling / fake reviews). My only feedback is that the red "Exposed" in large form at the top of the site does appear a bit blurry/disturbs my eyes but in the small form it looks great.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by webguyjmo View Post
    Are you saying that "top ten web hosting" review sites are factual sources of information?
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor
      0 Not allowed!

I just watched the video and read through the site, and I actually quite liked it.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers
      0 Not allowed!

Wow I feel like a complete donkey for not reading this whole post before responding. I clearly missed a lot of what was actually going on and I approve of your site and the idea behind it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by webhostingrvw View Post
    What do yo guys think. Please correct me if i am wrong.
    Lol angry just because somebody is exposing how you make money? It's was hardly surprising to see the link in your signature.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HocusPocus View Post
    Lol angry just because somebody is exposing how you make money? It's was hardly surprising to see the link in your signature.
    My site is only a few months old and it has not produced any revenue yet.

People want review sites that is why they are searching for top 10 web hosting or compare web hosting.

And review sites like mine research, find and then list the best top 10 hosting providers. That way they save their time and able to find the best suitable host.

I guess some Small/mid size hosts do not like review sites because they don't see their site in the top 10 list.

Yes if there are black sheep, they should be exposed.
      0 Not allowed!

@webhostingrvw

I have to ask then where is your research? All I see is a few details from 10 companies that have huge payouts. Most hosting review sites give out more details then you have, even hostaz.com (which not terrible great at giving out details). Not to mention there is no customer feed back on your site.

As far as I can tell without fueling up on coffee, your hosted with XTRAORBIT.COM, which is not any of the companies you list. They have a large payout program themselves of up to $126. So I have to ask why are you not promoting them or hosting with one of the sites you list?

I really do not think people want top 10 sites, it might appear that way because these top ten sites pay for key words like "Hosting Reviews", "recommended hosting", "best host", and so on......... I think they want honest reviews. Rarely if ever do people ask me for a top list, but I do get emails every day asking me who I recommend.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast