Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Thats odd. The centmin script was running about 70mb ram but was also nginx and included mysql.

It is now using 329 memory after running the optimizer. Although the memory usage is higher then it should be for some odd reason I must say pages load AMAZINGLY FAST, compared to most scripts or guides found online. I ran a test site and websites loaded over 35% faster using the identical script and server vs a standard lamp install. Reverting back to a centos install using centmin or the lowend box actually had about a 45% slower load speed then this lamp setup script for me.
    The optimizer is meant to set a modest config for a small VPS, so its not going to break any low-memory records. Also, because of the way Apache works, it won't be able to compete memory wise with nginx on a OpenVZ VPS without crippling the config to something stupidly minimal.

Though, I'm surprised that your pages are loading faster. Perhaps its something to do with the Centmin config but I'll need to take a look at the source code later on to be sure.

Tuxlite.com Complete LAMP and LNMP script for Debian and Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    The optimizer is meant to set a modest config for a small VPS, so its not going to break any low-memory records. Also, because of the way Apache works, it won't be able to compete memory wise with nginx on a OpenVZ VPS without crippling the config to something stupidly minimal.

Though, I'm surprised that your pages are loading faster. Perhaps its something to do with the Centmin config but I'll need to take a look at the source code later on to be sure.
    It may just be apache is better at serving the specific files used in the site. I am just happy the site seems instant now

In all honesty, if you developed this more and had some kind of feature that would take care of all administration needs and tons of script installers with it (Pretty much already does) and provide an option to see the commands used for learning while it is executing, I would purchase it in a heart beat!

Seems like something unmanaged VPS providers could easily give to there new clients so they are up and running, lowering support costs.

It may just be apache is better at serving the specific files used in the site. I am just happy the site seems instant now

In all honesty, if you developed this more and had some kind of feature that would take care of all administration needs and tons of script installers with it (Pretty much already does) and provide an option to see the commands used for learning while it is executing, I would purchase it in a heart beat!

Seems like something unmanaged VPS providers could easily give to there new clients so they are up and running, lowering support costs.
    Are you testing it with the site on your sig ? Would love to see how it loads on my end as well.

Its pretty complete as it is if both the scripts are used together. The only thing left to do is to have a backup procedure in place. You can always check out the code if you want to find out what its doing.

Though if you need something 100% automated, ISPconfig 3 looks like a very nice & free choice

p.s Do not use the Varnish cache function if you're on OpenVZ. Your VPS will not be happy.

Are you testing it with the site on your sig ? Would love to see how it loads on my end as well.

p.s Do not use the Varnish cache function if you're on OpenVZ. Your VPS will not be happy.
    Varnish is one of the reasons I tried it. Have not enabled it yet but I will try anyways. I do know I could restart it once it eats up all of my openvz memory which it is prone to do. So after 200mb of usage have it restart. Although that is not a great method to use. (If only buyvm had xen )

The site in the sig was not the one tested since it is not owned by me. I just own the domain which is pointed to a friends setup. But I could try importing the whole thing into wordpress and then testing it also.

Since the majority of the posts are from me Thanks again for what seems to be the only reliable debian Lamp setup.

Varnish is one of the reasons I tried it. Have not enabled it yet but I will try anyways. I do know I could restart it once it eats up all of my openvz memory which it is prone to do. So after 200mb of usage have it restart. Although that is not a great method to use. (If only buyvm had xen )
    You could get the vmware machines at BuyVM/Frantech. That shouldn't have the problem either.

Since the majority of the posts are from me Thanks again for what seems to be the only reliable debian Lamp setup.
    There, now you can continue posting.

Quote Originally Posted by tchen View Post
    You could get the vmware machines at BuyVM/Frantech. That shouldn't have the problem either.

There, now you can continue posting.
    I'm guessing techjr is on the affordable buyvm VPS so the frantech plans will be a huge increase in price.

Hi Scientist
    Thx for your great script first.

I just install lampworker mode, and also download the domain script to add domains, but I cant access others' "https:/xxx.com/p" , either "xxx.com"

I set the hostname samed as the domain I add by the domain script, is that the reason ?

If your A records are already pointing to your server, and your http links are working, it means that the ssl certs are missing. Use optimizelamp function to generate them.

Thx it works

Hey Scientist, want to request getting this moved over to VPS tutorials? I had a hard time digging this up again

Yeah why not. Now I just need to figure out how do I go about requesting the move

The first post needs updating as well as the scripts have changed quite a bit since I first started the topic.

What about the same for NGINX or LIGHTTPD?

Its fairly easy to setup Nginx + PHP-FPM on Debian 6. The problem is when trying to include phpmyadmin, its won't be as "clean" as far as standard configs go. Of course this is speaking in terms of using 100% official Debian packages so that even the non sysadmin can keep their setup updated and secure.

Personally, I don't see the point of using nginx except for very high traffic sites because for most cases the memory savings are negligible if you use Apache + mpm-worker. Nonetheless, my test VPS is sitting idle now so I may just give the ready-to-go nginx setup another go.

p.s Do people still use lighttpd ?

p.s Do people still use lighttpd ?
    Depends on how many people
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

Quote Originally Posted by dyna! View Post
    Depends on how many people
    Oh wow, still a good million users or so. Figured it'd be less because nginx performs just as well minus the memory leaks.

I'm new to VPS and I'm about to start playing with Mware and Debian 6. I'd like to know do I need to install apache, php5, mysql before running this script or script would install everything for me? Thank you in advance.

It installs everything for you so a fresh OS is actually recommended.

For some reason I got plenty of errors on a fresh installed Debian 6. Do I have to install packages manually?

Code:
    root@testingpc:/home/user1/Desktop# ./serversetup.sh lampworker optimizelamp

Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libapache2-mod-fcgid"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "apache2-mpm-worker"
    No candidate version found for php5-cgi
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-suhosin"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php-apc"
    No candidate version found for php5-mysql
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-dev"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-curl"
    No candidate version found for php5-gd
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-imagick"
    No candidate version found for php5-mcrypt
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-memcache"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-mhash"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-pspell"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-snmp"
    No candidate version found for php5-sqlite
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-xmlrpc"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-xsl"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "libapache2-mod-fcgid"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "apache2-mpm-worker"
    No candidate version found for php5-cgi
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-suhosin"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php-apc"
    No candidate version found for php5-mysql
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-dev"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-curl"
    No candidate version found for php5-gd
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-imagick"
    No candidate version found for php5-mcrypt
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-memcache"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-mhash"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-pspell"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-snmp"
    No candidate version found for php5-sqlite
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-xmlrpc"
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "php5-xsl"
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "awstats"
    No candidate version found for imagemagick
    Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "awstats"
    No candidate version found for imagemagick
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

./serversetup.sh: line 145: a2dismod: command not found
    ./serversetup.sh: line 146: a2dismod: command not found
    ./serversetup.sh: line 147: a2dismod: command not found
    ./serversetup.sh: line 148: a2enmod: command not found
    ./serversetup.sh: line 149: a2enmod: command not found
    ./serversetup.sh: line 150: a2enmod: command not found
    ./serversetup.sh: line 151: a2enmod: command not found
    ./serversetup.sh: line 154: /etc/apache2/mods-available/fcgid.conf: No such file or directory
    ./serversetup.sh: line 176: /etc/apache2/conf.d/php-fcgid.conf: No such file or directory

That looks like a broken OS template to me. Can you paste the output of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Also, you should only execute 1 function at a time, and not combine them. E.g.
    ./serversetup.sh lampworker
    ./serversetup.sh optimizelamp

Thank you for your quick response and the output is in the attachment.

That looks like a broken OS template to me. Can you paste the output of

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: txt s.txt (564 Bytes, 71 views)

Ah... your sources.list isn't configured properly so to speak. I assume this is a local install and not on a VPS? The full Debian DVD is A LOT more than just 1 DVD so you're going to lose out a lot of packages if you don't include all of them.

Execute "./serversetup apt" to reconfigure your sources.list then run the lampworker function again.

First of all I just want to say a big thank you. Your script worked like a charm.

I wish to get VPS server very soon and now I'm just practicing how to get everything working with Mware Debian 6 (virual os) on my local Windows PC. I've been using wampserver on my Windows7 PC but using Debian is not the same. I wish to run Joomla cms on my future VPS and I'd like to know what should I know about VPS besides setting up apache, mysql? Should I just setup ftp server for www folder? Thanks again
    Last edited by startera; 03-03-2011 at 07:01 PM.

The best place to start is Linode library or Slicehost articles. Spend a day or two reading up and test out as much possible. No harm tinkering and breaking things because you can reload the OS in a matter of minutes from the VPS control panel. Might be even better for learning if you setup things manually instead of using my scripts.

Avoid using FTP unless you really need it. You should instead use SFTP (with filezilla, winscp etc) to upload files to your www folder. That way you don't have to install a FTP daemon which some might consider as a security risk

awesome, sftp would even require less ram than running as a server and it is more secure. I'll be working and modifying your script to get what I need. I just noticed it installed the latest version of PHP5 but I'd prefer to use php 5.2.11 so should I use 'aptitude' command or just apt-get and php5.2.11 package and the same for apache? I don't think the latest apache works well with older php version.

I think the compatibility concerns you're talking about is with regards to PHP5.3 and CMS scripts like drupal, joomla etc. AFAIK, those are all now resolved if you use updated versions of the scripts. Apache has no issues at all working with PHP5.3.

There isn't a apt-get php5.2.11 or anything like the sort. If you need PHP 5.2, stick to Debian 5 for the time being. Otherwise it'll take some work to get it working with Debian 6. You'll either have to pin the LAMP packages to the Lenny repo, or compile PHP from source.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast