Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to change nameservers for a Yahoo Domain

Just had a heck of a time doing this for a customer so thought it might be handy for people with domains registered at Yahoo and are trying to point them at another web host.

Go to:
    http://console.domains.yahoo.com/
    Select 'Manage My Domains' from the top left of screen
    then 'View Registry Key' towards the center of screen.

At the bottom of the resulting screen you'll fine the following:
    INWW Registry Key: ********

This code (though Yahoo doesn't tell their customers), is a registry key for Internet Names Worldwide.

http://www.melbourneit.com.au/maintenance/index.php
    is where you edit the nameservers themselves. Log in using the domain name itself and that registry key listed above.

Once inside the control panel, select 'Delegation Details', and then update the Primary and Secondary Nameservers (Hostnames) as required.

Hit the 'Submit' button and you're done.
    Last edited by Akash; 03-27-2004 at 07:17 PM.

Ahh. Very useful.

Hey, what if I dont have a yahoo domain.

I've registered mine about a week ago at melbourneit, and delegated the nameservers for my domain.

However, my delegation has not been done yet, and melbourneit have not responded to my 2 emails i sent them.

However, only one zone check has found my domain: warcraftstar.com

You can see the results here h**p://aun.uninett.no:8083/dns/zc.html

I did find a lame delegation error message, and i was wondering if that would stop the propagation... Any help on what i've done wrong?

Thank you so much for posting this! You just saved me a lot of time. Funny how Yahoo doesn't make any mention of this in their help file about how to change the name server

Can someone help? I'm stuck with a client and we both can't figure out how to transfer Yahoo domain name to a different web host.

I log into Yahoo Small Business.

I click "Manage My Domains"

I don't see the View Registry Key. All I see is this:

-------------------------------------
    Domain Control Panel
    Maintenance Tools:
    Domain Record Manager - Create, edit or delete your domain records.

Domain Name Information:
    View/Edit Whois Info - Update contact information posted in the public domain database(WHOIS) for your SBC Yahoo! domain name.
    Search for another Domain Name:
    Enter a domain name:
    (Search Box)
    (e.g., widgetdesigns.com)
    Related Tools
    Marketing Tools
    Search Engine Submission

I've spent literally hours searching throughout Yahoo and can't seem to find the answer. Anyone know what the problem may be. Thanks in advance.

same problem

yea, I have the same problem. It doesn't show registry key anywhere, and i can't find anyway to get it. I see the same options you do. Anyone know whats up with that?

seems they changed their style, try contacting support, someone was complaining about yahoo domains and access key too at domain name discussion
    Last edited by Bashar; 06-21-2004 at 02:59 PM.

Had this issue recently. Called MelbourneIT, they told me to contact reseller (yahoo!). Here is a reply from yahoo:

====================================
    Thank you for contacting us.

Yahoo! Domains department does not provide the registry key. If you wish to close your account with Yahoo!, and manage your domain name directly through Melbourne IT, then please follow the process below:

To close your Yahoo! Domains account, please go through the following
    steps:
    =======================================

Called Melburne IT again, got registry key within minutes.

(But still have an issue, cannot delete nameservers)

im still havin probs

Call directly to Melbourne IT and explain your problem.

Wow, we learn something everyday! thanks!

Now it is easy to change their nameservers.
    Today I find a "Change namesevers" botton in Yahoo!'s domain control panel, and changes them to my host's.

Thanks, akashik. It's too late for this to be directly useful to me, but it is interesting to learn that there could have been a straightforward solution to problems, instead of the runaround Yahoo support gave me last June.
    Yahoo was the inspiration for my nickname.
    I currently use Godadddy.

now you can change DNS on domain yahoo, it's very easy without melbourneit

Can I register a name server?
    pAsia.com

That is the WORST THING ever! I had a real problem with yahoo when I wanted all my stuff changed and transfered to my reseller. They gave me the worst support. I tried a million times. Finally after reading these posts I figured out how to do that

Great info. Thanks
    :: Unlimited Reseller Hosting :: Host UNLIMITED DOMAINS resell web hosting services at your own price and brand. Complete transparency in every aspect...
    Special Windows Reseller plans Now Available
    :: R-e-s-e-l-l-e-r-H-o-s-t-i-n-g-S-i-t-e-.c-o-m ::

WWW.RESELLERHOSTINGSITE.COM

that method mentioned in the first page don't work anymore. at first I'm able to change nameservers, but now it seems to have disabled the function and my domain was set as pending. I registered it on 05 Jan 05.

johncc,

I have few domains for few months "pending"

i don't have small buisness, i have pro, so this isn't working for me .. help??

I got like 12 domains :|

First of all you have to unlock your Domain Name, then only the Chance Name Server button is active. But I am still and confuse, because yahoo help says "
    Yahoo!'s name servers must be listed as Primary and Secondary in order for Yahoo! to host your domain services properly. If you add to or replace Yahoo!'s default nameservers, you will disrupt the services that Yahoo! provides. "

Yahoo!'s name servers must be listed as Primary and Secondary in order for Yahoo! to host your domain services properly. If you add to or replace Yahoo!'s default nameservers, you will disrupt the services that Yahoo! provides. "
    Then how can we configured our Yahoo Domain for WebHosting at diffrent server than yahoo. What parameter need changed. Please guide step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by Askme
    Then how can we configured our Yahoo Domain for WebHosting at diffrent server than yahoo. What parameter need changed. Please guide step by step.
    at the advanced manage DNS settings u can change the nameservers there
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I can't find the "change name server" button. Have this been removed. I see "Manage Advanced DNS settings" but I'm not sure how to use it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast