Hybrid View

External Hard Drives

I was looking for an external hard drive to start backing up some of the data on my iMac and saw some varying prices between products.

For computing purposes I have an iPad & iMac and will be upgraded my blackberry to an iPhone as soon as my upgrade is eligible. However, I currently am not fully utilizing time machine because my external hard drive stopped working. I am looking for a replacement and noticed Apple offers the Time Capsule 2TB for $299.99 which utilizes wireless technology (which I like).

However, if I visit bestbuy.com I can get a 2TB external drive starting at 89.99 up to 3TB for $299.99.

How do you choose which is best and why benefits are added to the different models?
    Doug
    Finance, Operations, and Business Executive

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    I was looking for an external hard drive to start backing up some of the data on my iMac and saw some varying prices between products.

For computing purposes I have an iPad & iMac and will be upgraded my blackberry to an iPhone as soon as my upgrade is eligible. However, I currently am not fully utilizing time machine because my external hard drive stopped working. I am looking for a replacement and noticed Apple offers the Time Capsule 2TB for $299.99 which utilizes wireless technology (which I like).

However, if I visit bestbuy.com I can get a 2TB external drive starting at 89.99 up to 3TB for $299.99.

How do you choose which is best and why benefits are added to the different models?

Hard drives are extremely cheap nowadays,

You just need to look at what you need and how much you want to spend. Look at the specs of the External Hard Drives, some will have a faster write / read speed over others and obviously quality will be a deciding factor on price. I always found Western Digital or Maxtor to be very good drives for both cost and performance.

Remember via USB 2.0 you are limited to a transfer rate of 480 mbits per second (60MB)

The wireless on the Apple drive does seem like a nice feature both speed wise and obviously no wires but at the end of the day, if you can back up and dont mind plugging in a cable for lets say $89, is it worth spending the extra for wireless which could just end up being a gimmick?

Remember with the brand name Apple behind it, its bound to be expensive.
    Choose your web host wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Etheos View Post
    Remember via USB 2.0 you are limited to a transfer rate of 480 mbits per second (60MB)

The wireless on the Apple drive does seem like a nice feature both speed wise and obviously no wires but at the end of the day, if you can back up and dont mind plugging in a cable for lets say $89, is it worth spending the extra for wireless which could just end up being a gimmick?

Remember with the brand name Apple behind it, its bound to be expensive.
    Yes, if it is $89 vs $299 I'd prefer $89. I just wanted to see the added benefit.
    Doug

The best thing to do is buy 2 hard disk enclosures for $30 and then by 2 2TB hard drives $70-80 a piece and then you have 4TB of space without some bs software that you can download for free on the internet.

The math:
    Samsung 2TB HD $79
    ENCLOSURE $15
    Brad T. Burns - CEO - brad.burns(@)zioinc.com
    Zio, Inc. - Shared. Reseller. VPS. Dedicated. Gaming. Cloud.
    AIM: ZioEspeed Skype: ZioBrad Steam: ZioBrad
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by ZioEspeed View Post
    The best thing to do is buy 2 hard disk enclosures for $30 and then by 2 2TB hard drives $70-80 a piece and then you have 4TB of space without some bs software that you can download for free on the internet.

The math:
    Samsung 2TB HD $79
    ENCLOSURE $15
    I don't think I need 4TBs though! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    get seagate. most reliable in the market.

the 80 gb seagate i just took out of this case was working for what like 7-8 years nonstop. and i took it out only because i upgraded to a ssd. not that it was failing or giving any issues.
    This is true except for a few of their 2TB models that have a 50% fail rate. I would highly recommend Samsung over Western Digital, Hitachi or Seagate though.

Thank you for the info.
    Doug

the 80 gb seagate i just took out of this case was working for what like 7-8 years nonstop. and i took it out only because i upgraded to a ssd. not that it was failing or giving any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    This is true except for a few of their 2TB models that have a 50% fail rate. I would highly recommend Samsung over Western Digital, Hitachi or Seagate though.

Website

yes i heard about the 2tb drive issues. but these are new drives just in at the market. it is rather normal for first generation of major tech changes to have problems. the problems will go away probably in firmware revisions higher than 1.0. its not too different from mainboards actually. see, for example asus's new crosshair v amd 900 chipset mainboard is having appalling rma rate, in places like newegg. a $300 priced board.

I was wondering about the Crosshair V Thunderbolt. I was thinking about buying it. I knew the RMA was bad for the Crosshair IV.
    Website

crosshair v is getting rmas like there's no tomorrow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131735

way too much.

do a google too. its similar in a lot of other places.

i advise GIGABYTE 990FXA-D3 , GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3, GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD5, or GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7

d3 is just 150 bucks, can run 2 cards in crossfire in 16x mode, and add 2 other cards in 4x modes. (why would one crossfire 4 cards beats me at this point tho).

the only problem is the second 16x pcie slot for crossfire blocks the only pci (legacy) slot.

other than that its a very well set new generation amd chipsed board with real bulldozer support. (black socket).
    Last edited by unity100; 08-08-2011 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will definitely take these boards into consideration when purchasing a 990FX
    Website

Just trying to get you the best bang for your buck.
    Website

Just trying to get you the best bang for your buck.
    Mmmm true. Thanks!
    Doug

get one of the ones with sata 3. sata 3 mobos are getting common now.

get yourself either an enclosure, or something like this. I recommend the latter, picked it up about a year and a half ago, and have had zero issues. From there, you can grab whatever drive you need. I keep a stock on hand myself, rotate drives in there.

Not the fastest sucker, but it'll do most anything you need it to, except maybe play games, which I wouldn't do off a USB (or external) drive anyways.

The product linked also has the advantage of 2 USB ports and various sized memory card readers.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    get yourself either an enclosure, or something like this. I recommend the latter, picked it up about a year and a half ago, and have had zero issues. From there, you can grab whatever drive you need. I keep a stock on hand myself, rotate drives in there.

Not the fastest sucker, but it'll do most anything you need it to, except maybe play games, which I wouldn't do off a USB (or external) drive anyways.

The product linked also has the advantage of 2 USB ports and various sized memory card readers.
    Interesting i've never heard of Plugable Storage Dock - External USB 2.0 to SATA 2.5 and 3.5 inch, All-in-one Memory Card Reader, and USB Hub
    Doug

I've sworn by mine the past year and a half. It's done everything from charge my iPhone to rip camera data to it's main purpose, which is to provide an additional HD spot so that I can store iTunes backups. Best $30 I ever spent.

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    I've sworn by mine the past year and a half. It's done everything from charge my iPhone to rip camera data to it's main purpose, which is to provide an additional HD spot so that I can store iTunes backups. Best $30 I ever spent.
    Is it as big and clunky as it looks?
    Doug

I wouldn't call it 'big', but I can see how some might. In this picture it sits on top of a blockbuster mailer and pretty much covers it all up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plugable.jpg  

Ah not that bad. Thanks.
    Doug

This has two harddisk bays and looks sleeker but not sure about its quality.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CBUQ8wIwAA

The WD Green has become very cheap nowadays. I cant imagine a better solution than this but you want it even cheaper just extend the power cable and pull out the sata cable from the internal interface
    Last edited by RajanUrs; 08-09-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RajanUrs View Post
    This has two harddisk bays and looks sleeker but not sure about its quality.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CBUQ8wIwAA

The WD Green has become very cheap nowadays. I cant imagine a better solution than this but you want it even cheaper just extend the power cable and pull out the sata cable from the internal interface
    You suggest two WD Green internal hard drives?
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Techy View Post
    You suggest two WD Green internal hard drives?

Depends on your requirement. I suppose if you use the two bays docking station you will be pulling them out less frequently.

I was researching external hard drives for personal use not so long ago and got an impression that the most reliable ones were HP, Toshiba and WD. My search criteria were: portable, reliable, plug&play with no backup software.
    I got Toshiba Basics 500G (they come in larger capacities as well) and very happy with it. It's small, quiet, and relatively fast. I would have opted in for USB 3.0, but don't have it on my PC anyway.

Here's nice little adapter which can connect externally

http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html