Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canaca.com STAY AWAY

Hello, let me give you a sample of my horror story with canaca.com, one of the worst hosts ever.
    It all started a couple months ago, when I decided to build my own website from scratch, www.eggloaf.com, something I hadn't done before. It was going to be a website for a few friends to come and talk and play games, nothing too serious. But I didn't have any experience with webhosting, and I made a deadly error. Because of their unbelievably low pricing ($3.95 per month for 40 gb bandwidth, 5 gb disk space) and high bandwidth (which for some reason I thought I needed, eh, newbie mistake) I decided to go with canaca.com, even though their reviews were less than stellar.
    So they set up my account fairly quickly, and I look at the charge. I was shocked to find that it wasn't $3.95 per month, but $6.95 per month because I only ordered three months. At that point I was fairly annoyed, mostly at myself for not catching that minor detail. The next day, after I finish uploading the normal files, and fixing some errors, and I go to set up phpbb and what do I find? They don't offer any mysql databases with the bronze package! Very aggravated, I go back and check, and I see blended in ever so cleverly, that it was true! At this point I was both furious and anxious. I didn't know what to do, a vital part of my website was missing. So I emailed them, asking if I could buy a mysql database. They responded with something to the effect of
    "no, you can't, but you get a mysql database if you upgrade to our silver plan."
    Great. So I can have a friggen mysql database if I want to spend $14.95 per month on a site that only uses 800 megabytes of bandwidth per month ("but its only $7.95 if you sign up for a two-year contract!"). Being 13, I barely make $14.95 per month . So after some careful consideration, I decided to utilize their 30 day money-back guarantee and switch to a more reputable host. I chose hostony.com, very good host, I reccomend them. Now I request my money back very politely, and I get a response like,
    "we cannot give you your money back at this time, as we do not have confirmation that you are the owner. Please give your name, reason for canceling, and the last four digits of your credit card number for confirmation."
    First of all, it was pretty obvious that it was me, as I had my name and domain in the response, and I hadchanged DNS like 5 days earlier. But I respond with the requested information. No response. About four or five days, and eight or so messages later, I lose the last of my patience and decided to call them up.
    I felt kind of bad about yelling at the person on the phone about their service, he was obviously just a poor exploited indian, working there because he was lucky enough to find a job anywhere. But after putting me on hold for 20 minutes, he tells me to send them the message again. Oh goody. This time they respond, their wonderful, caring customer service who only respond when someone might buy in the future, or when someone is considering legal action. Now I open up my inbox to find this message:
    "hello

we cannot offer a refund for the reason your have provided , the 30 day money back gurantee is not a trial is a gurantee of the services that we provide ,and only aplies to "services that we promised but did not provide "

thank you
    Best Regards,
    Canaca-Com Inc. Staff
    1-800-327-9181"
    What the hell? I would consider sneaky pricing, lack of features, and an unbelievable number ofIE 500 errors reason for my money back.

At this point I have decided on instead of trying to get my money back from this sneaky company, that survives by contract loopholes, thata I will try to spread the word about them. I just hope that at by writing this, I help persuade at least one person to run far away from this place, and find hosting elsewhere.

Dan Sigurdson

By the way, 200 gb badwidth for $8.00 per month? can you say "overselling?"
    Last edited by insanegoaliedude; 10-18-2004 at 03:50 PM.

Sorry to hear about your experience but a quick search of this forum covers all that stuff that happen to you. Remember you get what you pay for in most cases.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

I love Canaca. For some reason I keep getting their customers.

How do you do that? I'd love to join you >:p

Such is the way that webhostingtalk works.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Dear Dan Sigurdson ,

I am sorry to hear about your problems with Canaca, but unfortunately I do have to disagree with your assessment. Mysql has never been offered with the Bronze plan and it's clearly stated on our site. Our 30 day money back guarantee only applies to services that we promised but did not provide. Once again this is clearly stated within Canaca.com's web site.

I do take offense that you accuse us of exploiting Indian workers. The first questions I have is how do you know the representative was Indian? Do you have any proof that we are exploiting any of our staff members? In the future be really careful of who you accuse of exploiting works, because not everyone is as tolerant as we are to these types of statements.

This is cut and paste from the canaca site:

If you will become unsatisfied with our services within the first 30 days of your account activation, Canaca.com will refund your hosting fee.

He is unsatisfied.

Re: Canaca.com STAY AWAY

Originally posted by insanegoaliedude

Great. So I can have a friggen mysql database if I want to spend $14.95 per month on a site that only uses 800 megabytes of bandwidth per month ("but its only $7.95 if you sign up for a two-year contract!").
    If you knew you were going to use 800MB of monthly bandwidth, then why would you choose a plan that offer 100GB of just $4 a month? Why not choose something reasonable?

Originally posted by insanegoaliedude
    By the way, 200 gb badwidth for $8.00 per month? can you say "overselling?"
    Then why did you sign up in the first place?

Originally posted by alogic
    This is cut and paste from the canaca site:

If you will become unsatisfied with our services within the first 30 days of your account activation, Canaca.com will refund your hosting fee.

He is unsatisfied.
    I would say that pretty much says it all and directly conflicts with what the Canaca representative is saying. And that the consumer is correct in this. Or the flip side is Canaca is advertising one thing and having the consumer agree to something different that what it advertised. Kind of a slippery slope thing I think...

On a lighter note: What is pretty funny...I don't know if the "will" part is just predicting the likely outcome in a freudian way or just a typo. I would personally stay away from any webhost that has obvious spelling and grammar errors on their site.

If they offer a refund guarantee and do not honor it, then you should:

1) Submit a complaint to the better business bureau in their area.

2) Tell them you will submit a chargeback to your credit card company (your parents can help you with this) unless they process the refund.

I believe a chargeback is the absolute LAST resolution, and you should first try to exhaus ALL other attempts to get your money back.

I don't usually tell people to do a chargeback, but since services were not delivered, then it is deserved in this case. (You paid for a refund gaurantee if you are unsatisfied, and obviously you are not satisified for whatever reason.)
    We are eNom PLATINUM PLUS resellers!
    Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account with lowest possible pricing.
    * We provide support and service to over 4275 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Dan,
    I think it's all you fault.
    Canaca has stated clearly 'NO' under the MySql item for the plan that you bought.
    So you've bought a plan without MySql, then ask them to provide that. Is it fair?
    And, if mysql is so important to you, why don't you read carefully before you sign up?

Originally posted by KomsBomb
    Dan,
    I think it's all you fault.
    Canaca has stated clearly 'NO' under the MySql item for the plan that you bought.
    So you've bought a plan without MySql, then ask them to provide that. Is it fair?
    And, if mysql is so important to you, why don't you read carefully before you sign up?
    That isn't the point.

He was unsatisifed with his hosting and therefore wants a refund just like the host says they will provide one.

Yep, I don't think there's any question he's unsatisfied

What canaca.com should have done is just refunded his money, then he would have left as a semi-pissed off but better educated customer, rather than an extremely pissed of customer who will go and do something like this post.

It's $6.95 for god sake!
    laslo.ca
    Quality Canadian Web Hosting

Originally posted by robdavy
    Yep, I don't think there's any question he's unsatisfied

What canaca.com should have done is just refunded his money, then he would have left as a semi-pissed off but better educated customer, rather than an extremely pissed of customer who will go and do something like this post.

It's $6.95 for god sake!
    I also hope Dan can get the refund, but he should also have big impression with this lesson.

canaca.com clearly states no mysql for bronze web plan
    so its insanegoaliedude's mistake to choose that plan if he really needs mysql

i like the offers of canaca.com only thing i don't like them is they don't accept paypal!
    hope they start accepting it soon!

an unbelievable number ofIE 500 errors reason for my money back.
    Maybe this could be considered a valid reason for not being satisfied....

Originally posted by www1
    canaca.com clearly states no mysql for bronze web plan
    so its insanegoaliedude's mistake to choose that plan if he really needs mysql

i like the offers of canaca.com only thing i don't like them is they don't accept paypal!
    hope they start accepting it soon!
    what an ignorant mistake. I had the same thinking before purchasing a plan. I wrote this to try to tell you NOT to be persuaded by their huge bandwidth and low prices- you get what you pay for. Period. Unless of course its free, but thats another story . It's not my descision, if you want to go with canaca, fine, but I think you are just being suckered in by the low prices.

Ok, time for my 2 cents.

This to me says it all..

Being 13
    1) The OP has to take the bulk of the responsibility here. He FAILED to read the TOS and what was offered with the package and the pricing. All of which is on canaca's website. It's YOUR fault for NOT understanding what you were buying.

2) He comes off as bigoted by the "Indian" remark as if they are ignorant people who have to beg for menial jobs. Let me say I know many people of Indian (and I don't mean Native Americans) and Pakistan heritage and they are all very bright, motivated people that have successful lives. Just because someone has an accent does not make them desperate for work.

3) I find some inconsistencies in the original post. First he claims that he' NEVER built a website before, but then KNOW just how much bandwidth he needed to run his forum. Hmmmm. How does one know how much bandwidth it's going to use unless you've actually ran it before.

4) Canaca should just give him his money back because, well, it's easier then having to deal with a kid and the fact that children are NOT legally bound by contracts, thus any agreement they made with the OP is null and void anyway.

5) As for the dispute over the statements made by the canaca rep, and the other poster that they only offer refunds for services that they promise and don't deliver and what is on their website, well, that is pitiful...truely. What's on the website is what should be held up, even if the only reason the client was not satisfied was because of his own lack of reading ability.

Sometime you just have to learn from your mistakes and move on. I know being young that the money is important to you but I would just keep doing what you are doing and hope that next time you make sure you read the plans and look everywhere for info.

So, did you ever get a refund?

I think I bought a domain from them before...

i had plans to order a big hosting with them, but now NO thank :-(

Originally posted by ArtieFishill
    Ok, time for my 2 cents.

This to me says it all..

1) The OP has to take the bulk of the responsibility here. He FAILED to read the TOS and what was offered with the package and the pricing. All of which is on canaca's website. It's YOUR fault for NOT understanding what you were buying.

2) He comes off as bigoted by the "Indian" remark as if they are ignorant people who have to beg for menial jobs. Let me say I know many people of Indian (and I don't mean Native Americans) and Pakistan heritage and they are all very bright, motivated people that have successful lives. Just because someone has an accent does not make them desperate for work.

3) I find some inconsistencies in the original post. First he claims that he' NEVER built a website before, but then KNOW just how much bandwidth he needed to run his forum. Hmmmm. How does one know how much bandwidth it's going to use unless you've actually ran it before.

4) Canaca should just give him his money back because, well, it's easier then having to deal with a kid and the fact that children are NOT legally bound by contracts, thus any agreement they made with the OP is null and void anyway.

5) As for the dispute over the statements made by the canaca rep, and the other poster that they only offer refunds for services that they promise and don't deliver and what is on their website, well, that is pitiful...truely. What's on the website is what should be held up, even if the only reason the client was not satisfied was because of his own lack of reading ability.
    Give him a break. He's a 13 year old kid, for goodness sakes! Trashing 15 year old kiddie hosts should be easy enough for us.

As for the perceived bigotry, he/his parents are probably just against outsourcing like most Americans, he has absolutely nothing against people of any race like most Americans, and he's just being a tactless 13 year old kid about it.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

I have canaca hosting also... I have "an unbelievable number of IE 500 errors" too lol, but for some reason they try to say those errors are caused by me.... :\ I think canaca is trying to avoid problems they know of and just pawning it off on their customers and I have the silver package... yet strangely enough they had my storage and bandwidth limited to alot more less than what it should of been for that package, it didn't get adjusted til I notified them.

Anyways if I keep having problems with their hosting i'm just gonna cancel my account and move on to a hosting company with less problems and probly wind up running an anti-canaca site so it can help spread the word about canaca & host's similar.
    Last edited by [ f34r ]; 12-15-2004 at 02:34 PM.

lmao ironically soon after I post that my website is down... coincidence? or hint from the company?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast