hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Would you work for a company for free for starters and paid later?

Forum Jump

Would you work for a company for free for starters and paid later?

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarney1987 View Post
Well I've been in business Since Dec. So I haven't been doing that bad. But yes I already planned a couple months for a first Dedicated Sale. But before I do anything I just need to make sure I invest into advertising in a solid manner so I can see ROI Fast.
You are misusing the word ROI, which is not encouraging. You probably mean "break even" or "profit". ROI is the amount of return on your investment, not a goal/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarney1987 View Post
I just know in selling nothing but Shared and Reseller plans there is no real money in it.
That is simply untrue.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Junior Guru

I would by no means work for free but make an investment.

Instead of investing money into a company to pay for things, I would be investing my time. Of course, beforehand the terms would be lay out, and like any other company it's a risk you need to take to become successful. Depending on what I was doing I would expect a higher up spot once the company took off with pay, etc.

Your time is always an investment which is good as any other material matters.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Web Hosting Guru

if I had a long term relationship with you before hand I might be able to work with something like this. I am not in tech support so I, myself, would not be the best person but as far as the relationship that is needed for something like this I would be asking your friends more so than the WHT pop.

Good luck!

Best Price Every Time

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Why not? I would do it if the prospects were promising.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:06 PM
WHT Addict

If you have the budget to buy 4-5 dedicated, VPS and whatelse, i'm pretty sure you also have the budget to get ONE high-end VPS with all the licenses, and hire one of the companies which provide support for clients. They can be paid for each support ticket or even with some flat rates (i remember i've seen a reliable one offering an unlimited support for $100/mo, but not sure).

Consider one high-end VPS, if well configured, can also handle 1-2 hundreds of "normal" websites, and when you'll fill it, it would mean you will have 60-80 paying clients, and then would be time to upgrade to a dedicated (or maybe buy another VPS and start putting there new clients).

Don't start with 4-5 dedicated servers, employers, stock options and what else. It's not like opening a cafè, it's a WAY different business.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdomn View Post
If you have the budget to buy 4-5 dedicated, VPS and whatelse, i'm pretty sure you also have the budget to get ONE high-end VPS with all the licenses, and hire one of the companies which provide support for clients. They can be paid for each support ticket or even with some flat rates (i remember i've seen a reliable one offering an unlimited support for $100/mo, but not sure).

Consider one high-end VPS, if well configured, can also handle 1-2 hundreds of "normal" websites, and when you'll fill it, it would mean you will have 60-80 paying clients, and then would be time to upgrade to a dedicated (or maybe buy another VPS and start putting there new clients).

Don't start with 4-5 dedicated servers, employers, stock options and what else. It's not like opening a cafè, it's a WAY different business.
Well I already got my servers picked out and soon will be here. I'm actually still talking with data centers trying to figure out where I want to co-locate. I had my heart set on The Planet aka softlayer but they no longer offer co-location.

Anyways back to point I am going to check out some management desks. I was just think that a couple nights ago. Maybe I can get a good contract on a per ticket basis till tickets increase.

2 Years in Business

Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Would I work for free for a startup and get paid later? Yes, but only if the owner is taking considerable personal risks and works twice as hard, for that same startup, as I do.

If the owner is safely working elsewhere and simply pushing a few dollars to some hardware that he can sell with minimum loss if things fail? No, never.

I need to believe in the founder/owner. In this case I can't say that I do.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdomn View Post
Cafè? He's starting with internationally franchised drive-throughs ;-)

Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
Cafè? He's starting with internationally franchised drive-throughs ;-)
Ahahha yes, "cafè" was just an example to simplify

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

No No No No No No No. I couldn't say No enough, despite how much the owner 'believed' in the future profitability in their company. If they can't find the funds to pay you up front, they obviously can't get any financial backers to believe in them, so why should you?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Web Hosting Master

I value my time more than money. And people with enough self-respect are the same in this regard.

So, if a person is willing to spend his time for your company, he'll naturally expecting something in return, not just promises or "job offer in future". That something should either be immediate cash or equity or both (since you are a start-up).

These days, you'd be better off investing in people rather than in hardware. Remember that a loyal employee is sometimes worth more than all of your assets. And you, as an employer, has to be accomodating in order to gain the trust and loyalty.

And, the answer to your question: No. (based on all your replies)