hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : RAID Cards with physical damage... Repair?

Forum Jump

RAID Cards with physical damage... Repair?

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 03:25 PM

RAID Cards with physical damage... Repair?

I have a ton of raid cards with physical damage, mainly the SAS connector is broken off.. My problem is LSI/3ware will not accept them as as an RMA, which I understand, but they also do not offer a service to fix them at a cost either... My question is, has anyone heard of a company that fixes these things? I have searched high and low on the net and have come up with nothing so far, its shame since most of them are still under warranty...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Junior Guru

I would suggest looking for a look shop that offers computer repair services it could be as simply as just soldering back on the connectors.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar-HostPort View Post
I would suggest looking for a look shop that offers computer repair services it could be as simply as just soldering back on the connectors.
This is the only option I can think of.

Are you being really rough with these things? I have seen connectors break off but usually it is from mis handling or a simple issue with the card but never seen a "ton" of cards with this issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 PM

What is your location? I know a guy who can do it, but is located in Europe.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Web Hosting Master

Yes, you may refer computer repairing shop in the nearby location.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Owner of the net for a day

What is a 'ton'?

I have dealt with 100s of RAID cards and had exactly one with a problem in the connector and it was a 3ware 9650SE 2LP with the two SATA connectors, one of the SATA connectors broke off internally on install, and seemed to have a crack in the plastic there. That is all I have ever had, and 3ware replaced it overnight express at their cost.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
What is a 'ton'?

I have dealt with 100s of RAID cards and had exactly one with a problem in the connector and it was a 3ware 9650SE 2LP with the two SATA connectors, one of the SATA connectors broke off internally on install, and seemed to have a crack in the plastic there. That is all I have ever had, and 3ware replaced it overnight express at their cost.
I have about ten sitting here, all with the same issue. There was a bad batch somewhere along the line a while back in between when 3ware and LSI were merging (or so i was told). I have never broken one personally, I just need a source to repair them otherwise im tossing them, I have about ten like this at the moment. A couple 9650's and some others, the leads are really too small to solder back together.