Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I setup rtorrent to backup one of my folders....is there some sort of way to install a GUI onto this?
    Last edited by techjr; 03-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.

There isn't one Its meant to be used from command line with Byobu which is much easier (and safer) to use once you learn its commands.

If you want a GUI you will have to do the rest of the setup yourself which involves compiling rtorrent from source to enable xmlrpc.

Tuxlite.com Complete LAMP and LNMP script for Debian and Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    There isn't one Its meant to be used from command line with Byobu which is much easier (and safer) to use once you learn its commands.

If you want a GUI you will have to do the rest of the setup yourself which involves compiling rtorrent from source to enable xmlrpc.
    Thanks.. I ran torrentflux on my centos setup but for some reason running everything the same on the debian server, the downloads dont start. Click download, stays at 0%.

Just looked at rtorrent again and the extra overhead 24/7 is not to my liking so I am not sure what other program to try.

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Thanks.. I ran torrentflux on my centos setup but for some reason running everything the same on the debian server, the downloads dont start. Click download, stays at 0%.

Just looked at rtorrent again and the extra overhead 24/7 is not to my liking so I am not sure what other program to try.
    Are you referring to memory overheads? rtorrent is one of the lightest clients out there so you shouldn't even notice its running.

There is a slight learning curve to torrenting from command line, but it'll only take 10 minutes or so to master. PM me if you need guidance

I just got this installed, and I am surprised by the performance. It actually runs 1 second faster on page loads then my nginx server running the same thing. The only thing that I need to figure out now is how to update wordpress through the backend!

Thanks for this. I will probably be setting up manually on my production box, but it works like a charm.

Looks like you enabled Varnish so its not really fair to compare against nginx in terms of raw webserver performance.

As for wordpress, auto-update via the admin panel works just fine, unless you are referring to something else?

I've been preparing a different version of the script to have virtualhosts under /home/user rather than /srv/www. Turns out some people prefer it that way, especially those coming from cPanel/Directadmin.
    Also in the works is a script installer for commonly used scripts.
    Now I just need to get a site up to host em

If you need a VPS to host them on, I can help you out with that. It still is faster.

The updating didn't work for me. I guess that you are setting owner and group to www-data:www-data.

Yep, they have to be www-data:www-data. If you prefer username:username permissions then I can PM you the link to the new scripts.

Some nice folks have already given me a OpenVZ box to test the scripts on, so I'm good for the time being. Just procrastinating on setting up the site

Alright, I have a few buyvm vps that I would be willing to donate to the cause.

Can you send me the pm for the username scripts? Maybe I am wrong, but I thought that it was better to run them that way?

Its safer but less convenient to have the webserver serving sites as a seperate user (e.g www-data). That way, any vulnerabilities won't give access to a user's home directory.

Though with the new scripts, you can dedicate one user to serving webpages to achieve the similar security model.

I guess I thought making the directory owned by www-data:www-data was not safe. If it is not a big deal, I will just run them that way for now.

I will check out the other ones you sent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    Yep, they have to be www-data:www-data. If you prefer username:username permissions then I can PM you the link to the new scripts.

Some nice folks have already given me a OpenVZ box to test the scripts on, so I'm good for the time being. Just procrastinating on setting up the site
    That's actually one problem I ran in.

When I had Varnish enabled, it somehow broke the www-data thing. Apache didn't have any write permissions to /srv/www/*

When I disabled Varnish, everything worked again...

Do you have any idea how to fix this? I'm going to look into Varnish' config next but I'm scared it'll too complicated.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mixture View Post
    That's actually one problem I ran in.

When I had Varnish enabled, it somehow broke the www-data thing. Apache didn't have any write permissions to /srv/www/*

When I disabled Varnish, everything worked again...

Do you have any idea how to fix this? I'm going to look into Varnish' config next but I'm scared it'll too complicated.
    Without having a look it'll be hard to figure out whats going on, but I'm guessing you are using IP:80 in your virtualhost blocks instead of *:80 ?

Quote Originally Posted by yugongtian View Post
    Thanks.

No prob!
    Last edited by Scientist; 03-10-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Another nice feature would be to add mail server option such as Postfix with Dovecot IMAP/POP3 + Sasl Authentication. It would make a complete server for VPS.

I actually ran that for a while, but it was way too much work (and RAM) for something we take for granted everyday. I'd say leave your domain server as it is, and run a dedicated mail server with something like iredmail or zimbra.

I'd like to have 2-3 emails (admin@mydomain, support@mydomain) on my VPS server with POP3/IMAP and SMTP and be able to forward them to my gmail or hotmail account. What would you recommend such as iredmail, zimbra or postfix with sasl and dovcot?

Why not use google apps? It's free.

Quote Originally Posted by dclardy View Post
    Why not use google apps? It's free.
    What do you mean? I must be able to have my domain name at the end of email.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/gmail.html

It is free for up to 50 accounts. They host it for you, and it will be to admin@somedomain.com.

Quote Originally Posted by dclardy View Post
    That is awesome. It looks like it should have all the features like POP3/IMAP and no overhead on my server. Thank you.

Yeah it is a pretty cool service that they are just giving away. Plus, it allows you to get a smaller VPS or something so you can cut back on cost.

Yep, Google Apps is what I use as well. I might try out Zoho mail later on because Google Apps doesn't handle multiple domains very well unless you upgrade to the paid version.

I cleaned up the scripts a little bit to simplify the installation process. The wordpress installer much much more intuitive as well. Its now hosted on its own site, courtesy of rockstarvps. Check out http://tuxlite.com for the updated scripts

can't import database through phpmyadmin?

I can log in to phpmyadmin and create new database, but can't import database through phpmyadmin, and can only import database by SSH access to mysql. How to solve this?

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, admin@testbak.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast