Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JG View Post
    boo. What does "Three bars for life" mean?
    SoftLayers logo is three parallel bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host View Post
    The Inner layer that soflayer is famous for is the middle bar in the logo, I heard.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Crucial Web Host View Post
    Haha, I've been their customer since 07 and this didn't occur to me.

I'm not a fan of this and don't find these emails "exciting" nor even necessary. I'd rather hear nothing than "we don't have all the answers."

When I ordered my first server from Softlayer they were much smaller, and that is the kind of company I prefer to work with.

I'll likely be moving my last server still there to Net Depot.

Net Depot looks good so far, i will have to look into it a lot more. Might be my new home shortly.

SL really is top in the offerings it has. Who compares? Net Depot looks good but I cant seem to find any information that leads me to believe they offer IPSec VPN connectivity to the backend network. this is a big thing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by hansenc View Post
    SL really is top in the offerings it has. Who compares? Net Depot looks good but I cant seem to find any information that leads me to believe they offer IPSec VPN connectivity to the backend network. this is a big thing for us.
    i can smell a sailor 'sails' pitch coming up
    AS395558

* Softlayer and ThePlanet Q4 Merger News

This is nothing new but this is the most recent news on the pending Merger between the Best of Breed DC's in the hosting industry.

We can only hope that Mr. Lance will be the best choice to lead the new company.

We have servers in SoftLayer and use The Planet Advanced Support group for admin support so it should be interesting.

*** Start Quote

SoftLayer And The Planet In Discussions To Merge [08/05/2010]
    Date: Thursday, August 5, 2010 (08/05/2010)
    Start time (GMT+00:00): 02:00 AM
    End time (GMT+00:00): 02:05 AM
    Services affected: N/A
    Duration: 5 minutes

Greetings again, from all of us at SoftLayer.

Once more, I have some exciting news to share with you.

It's been a busy time for us with the creation of our new capital structure, through which our management team and GI Partners has acquired all equity in the company.

For those who are not aware, GI also owns a large stake in The Planet, and I now have the pleasure of telling you that we are in discussions to merge The Planet with SoftLayer. The goal is for the transaction to be complete in the fourth quarter of this year.

I know you have a lot of questions. To be perfectly honest, we are at the beginning of this and don't have all the answers. Teams at both companies have just begun discussing how to integrate our organizations, and their work will yield the details we don't yet know.

For customers, nothing is changing in the near term. Both companies still operate independently, and your products, services, support, and contacts are the same today as they were yesterday. For now, each company continues to be led by its current management team. Pending completion of the merger, I will have the privilege of becoming CEO of the merged company.

As I hope you have seen in recent days, we will provide as much information as possible as our discussions with The Planet progress. But for now, I want to share some of the most important information: the reason why.

SoftLayer and The Planet have a lot in common: solid customer bases, broad product and service lines, a high level of commitment to the cloud, and more. We also have different strengths - The Planet provides different services, such as collocation, on a large scale, and SoftLayer leverages automation expertise to deliver innovative solutions. Together, we can provide customers greater value through a wider continuum of services and the most scalable, automated, and cost-effective global infrastructure.

On a very personal note, there is nothing in my life I'm more proud of than SoftLayer. We might be all about automation, but my friends and I have built this company, quite literally, by hand. It's our life, not just our livelihoods. And we've been in this industry quite a while and have seen a lot of changes. We wouldn't pursue this opportunity if we had anything but confidence in its success and a clear vision for bringing its advantages to customers and stakeholders. If you have any questions or concerns, I invite you to talk to your individual SoftLayer contact or directly to George Karidis, our Chief Strategy Officer, at gkaridis@softlayer.com.

Three bars for life,
    Lance Crosby

*** End Quote

Cool!

So no changes just yet..
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    wasn't that what this entire thread was created for?

Yup, but still interesting.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

No wonder Lance knew so much about what was going to happen when this was first posted, he's going to be CEO.
    Triton Hosting
    Connecting the World...
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 24x7 Personal Support | cPanel | Instant Setup

What I want SL to make very clear is exactly who is going to be in control after they merge.

They must have an idea already, is TP being merged into SL or the other way around

If they dont get this information out quickly I suspect I and many others will be leaving before it becomes TP
    Damien

This is interesting, I have always loved Softlayer. Hope they stay the same if not better.

I think the post mentioned that the SL ceo will be the ceo of the combined entity. Sure sounds like SL + TP = SL
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Softlayer is much more advanced and much better quality in everything than ThePlanet

specially SoftLayer customer panel its perfect i wish it stays like this

Flash News: GI will acquire and merge all datacenters.

Then, I will acquire GI and pay thru Paypal
    Don't worry, I will give you free Chupa-Chups for every purchase of dedicated server.

Hehehe (joke, joke, joke) chill-out people, some of you are panicking already.

I guess all the provider offers back-up then why not apply in the real world. Backup Plan.
    Last edited by Yujin; 08-05-2010 at 06:03 AM.

OK, I think we all know that the merger has been finalized and Lance will be the CEO of the combined company. In 2005, Lance left TP to create SL. As a CEO, he has made two great companies - TP and SL.

I was a TP customer until I got a few servers with SL in 2005.

In 2006, GI bought TP and we all know what happened after that. I eventually migrated all my servers to SL by the end of 2006 due to the horrible service from TP. I have never looked back since.

This merger has made me very worried as well. I built my business on reliability and used SL as a selling point. I have been in constant contact with the SL staff and they assure me nothing will change, at least in the short term. What will happen in the long term, well your guess is as good as mine. Not even Lance knows what will happen since both the TP and SL teams are working on merger details.

But I do know this; if the level of service goes down, SL will be in trouble and Lance as a CEO will no longer have the credibility he has now. I am sure he will try to do everything in his power to prevent that from happening. Once the level of service goes down, that will be end of the line for SL and I am sure they also realize that.

This world is run on faith and I still have enough faith left in me to trust SL, at least for now.
    Quality Web Hosting at its Best!
    100% Satisfaction Guaranteed | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Hosting Solutions
    www.QualityHostOnline.com - Proudly Serving Thousands of Customers Since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    Send me a pm with what you want to do on it and if its viable we will do it. That is pretty inexpensive to do. i am all about improvements.
    We have a winner !!!

Does anyone else find it to be a little bit odd that they sent the "announcements" 2 days apart ?
    Last edited by RitmoIT; 08-05-2010 at 09:04 AM.

I hope this won't affect the clients....! if the pricing for server drops clients will be happy with the merger
    SUPPORT FACILITY | 24/7 TECH SUPPORT
    SERVER MANAGEMENT | WEB HOSTING SUPPORT | WP EXPERTS

Just received this from Mr. Erwin , CEO The Planet

*** Start Quote

Customer Announcement
    In Discussions with Softlayer

Dear Customer,

It’s no surprise to you that the hosting market has grown substantially over the past few years, coming into its own. With the industry growth, coupled with the downturn in the economy, you’ve seen a number of equity investors enter the market. They are armed with cash and ready to participate in the next big wave of opportunity by supporting companies with their growth plans. At the same time, we’ve seen a number of consolidations in business, of which there are two kinds: those designed to protect a shrinking industry; or others, as you’ve seen in our industry, which represent opportunities for scale and growth. It’s a far cry from the days after the dotcom bubble, when investors became disillusioned with lost assets. Today, we’re seeing financial stability in hosting companies, and investors are again ready to put their money into new investments and support improved product and service offerings.

It’s for this reason I’m writing to share some great news about our business. GI Partners, the private equity firm that owns The Planet, has made a number of investments in our industry, including The Telx Group and ViaWest. They have announced their purchase of SoftLayer, and in turn we have entered into discussions to join forces with SoftLayer to create a new company.

From where I sit, this looks like an incredible opportunity for our customers with even better resources and financial viability. It would double the size of our already powerful network. We would have geographically dispersed data centers with operations not only in Texas, but also in Seattle, Washington and London. With additional capital, we would have opportunities to create an expanded international footprint for our data centers and operations. The automation capabilities would make it even easier for you to do business with us. In short, there’s unparalleled opportunity.

We know your greatest concern is what this means for you. I can assure you that we are committed to providing you with great service. Over the next three months, we will be working together with SoftLayer on integration plans. Our focus is all about you and how we will deliver more value, better service and ultimately move closer to delivering a new standard of customer service for this industry. Our consolidation is about growth and the value we’ll be able to deliver to you and your business.

SoftLayer CEO Lance Crosby would lead the new company. He has done a great job in his leadership role with SoftLayer and comes from this industry. Lance and I are working side-by-side during these discussions, and he knows and understands what our customers need.

We will keep you updated on our plans as they progress. Our goal would be to close the transaction during the fourth quarter. In the meantime, you have my commitment that we’ll continue to provide the same products and services you’ve always counted on from The Planet. We appreciate your confidence and continued support.

Sincerely,
    Douglas J. Erwin
    Chairman and CEO

*** End Quote

Dave

Announcement from The Planet...

Dear Customer,

It’s no surprise to you that the hosting market has grown substantially over the past few years, coming into its own. With the industry growth, coupled with the downturn in the economy, you’ve seen a number of equity investors enter the market. They are armed with cash and ready to participate in the next big wave of opportunity by supporting companies with their growth plans. At the same time, we’ve seen a number of consolidations in business, of which there are two kinds: those designed to protect a shrinking industry; or others, as you’ve seen in our industry, which represent opportunities for scale and growth. It’s a far cry from the days after the dotcom bubble, when investors became disillusioned with lost assets. Today, we’re seeing financial stability in hosting companies, and investors are again ready to put their money into new investments and support improved product and service offerings.
    It’s for this reason I’m writing to share some great news about our business. GI Partners, the private equity firm that owns The Planet, has made a number of investments in our industry, including The Telx Group and ViaWest. They have announced their purchase of SoftLayer, and in turn we have entered into discussions to join forces with SoftLayer to create a new company.

From where I sit, this looks like an incredible opportunity for our customers with even better resources and financial viability. It would double the size of our already powerful network. We would have geographically dispersed data centers with operations not only in Texas, but also in Seattle, Washington and London. With additional capital, we would have opportunities to create an expanded international footprint for our data centers and operations. The automation capabilities would make it even easier for you to do business with us. In short, there’s unparalleled opportunity.

We know your greatest concern is what this means for you. I can assure you that we are committed to providing you with great service. Over the next three months, we will be working together with SoftLayer on integration plans. Our focus is all about you and how we will deliver more value, better service and ultimately move closer to delivering a new standard of customer service for this industry. Our consolidation is about growth and the value we’ll be able to deliver to you and your business.

SoftLayer CEO Lance Crosby would lead the new company. He has done a great job in his leadership role with SoftLayer and comes from this industry. Lance and I are working side-by-side during these discussions, and he knows and understands what our customers need.

We will keep you updated on our plans as they progress. Our goal would be to close the transaction during the fourth quarter. In the meantime, you have my commitment that we’ll continue to provide the same products and services you’ve always counted on from The Planet. We appreciate your confidence and continued support.

Sincerely,

Douglas J. Erwin
    Chairman and CEO
    Last edited by netomatic; 08-05-2010 at 10:24 AM.

This doesn't sound like a normal exit strategy for Doug Erwin to just be merged? His normal exits usually are in huge sellouts?
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Looks like they are going to migrate ThePlanet servers to the Softlayer portal.

The merging of the two vast/complex networks isn't going to be pretty IMO...

Bets on the new company name? PlanetLayer? SoftPlanet? TheLayer? LOL
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Usually (if not always), a fusion leave the worst attributes of both companies, in this case SL will turn into a TP.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast