Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FYI: Namecheap support is in Ukraine (2022)

About 90% of Namecheap support is in Ukraine.
    https://www.namecheap.com/careers/ukraine

At least 2 of the 3 cities are overrun by the invading Russian forces right now.

I'm guessing they're now down to barebones support, the few that are non-Ukraine.
    https://www.namecheap.com/careers/ (Our Places)

That's the real reason behind this:
    https://www.namecheap.com/status-updates/archives/67019

Live Chat is offline.
    Tickets are probably backing up.

This really sucks for them. Richard (CEO) is probably losing a lot of sleep right now. I hope they can recover from this.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Godspeed & hope them the best.

Hopefully this conflict comes to an end quickly. This does suck for NameCheap but not nearly as much as this sucks for Ukraine and its people.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Not only namecheap, quite a few other companies also have staff in Ukraine
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Thats really sad everything going on in Ukraine 🇺🇦. I really hope it all ends and Ukraine keeps their land to themselves.

Do they have servers in Ukraine too?
    LinuxFox < Linux is in our name!
    Managed SSD VPS • KVM • Dedicated Resources
    Proactive Monitoring • cPanel/WHM
    Lightning Fast Managed VPS with Performance Guarantee!

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFox View Post
    Do they have servers in Ukraine too?
    No, I don't think so. Just support that I'm aware.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetVM View Post
    Not only namecheap, quite a few other companies also have staff in Ukraine
    I think many folks are oblivious to the fact that Ukraine is a customer support type of country, an alternative to India. And unlike India, in general, Ukrainians tend to have a very good mastery of both English speaking and writing, which is why the location has grown in the past decade or so. Just watch CNN interviews of Ukrainians on the street. (Conspiracy theorists think the war is fake because they speak good English, "paid actors". ). On CNBC, for example, you hear too many economic pundits claiming that "Ukraine doesn't really affect us". Well, no, dumbass. False. It affects more than you seem to be aware. Lots of companies rely on Ukraine these days.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

it's kindda sad to hear what's happening in Ukraine... Stay strong Ukranians, hopefully this nightmare ends soon. Good luck to all the companies with support out of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    No, I don't think so. Just support that I'm aware.

I think many folks are oblivious to the fact that Ukraine is a customer support type of country, an alternative to India. And unlike India, in general, Ukrainians tend to have a very good mastery of both English speaking and writing, which is why the location has grown in the past decade or so. Just watch CNN interviews of Ukrainians on the street. (Conspiracy theorists think the war is fake because they speak good English, "paid actors". ). On CNBC, for example, you hear too many economic pundits claiming that "Ukraine doesn't really affect us". Well, no, dumbass. False. It affects more than you seem to be aware. Lots of companies rely on Ukraine these days.
    I won't get into other aspects but in India - generally English is like 3rd language for most - which is why you see a thick accent. First comes their mother tongue - hardly less than 10-15% of people have Hindi (unofficially - official language) as it, then next comes mostly Hindi (North-East & few South states excluding), then comes English. For instance, I will state an example in the state of Karnataka (the state of Bangalore) - around Mysore region - people mostly speak "Tulu", state's official language is "Kannada" - so people who are born around in this region, need to know these 2 languages. Then comes Hindi, later comes English.

People are choosing Philippines too other than India for cost cutting but they have an accent as well, I have spoken to few Filipinos over the phone of an large US company. I haven't spoken to anyone from Ukraine - that I know of but yeah from my first hand experience - their written language is pretty good.

I didn't know NameCheap used remote tech support from Ukraine.

I did think I may be CloudLinux used remote tech support from Ukraine.

I hope the issue is resolved sooner rather than later.

It should not be happening in 2022.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    I didn't know NameCheap used remote tech support from Ukraine.
    Practically every chat op I encountered was named Olga, Vlad or something rather similar sounding, so it made sense to me it was sourced there.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Practically every chat op I encountered was named Olga, Vlad or something rather similar sounding, so it made sense to me it was sourced there.
    I never had service with NameCheap, but checking their site many times over the years and them being a large USA provider, I thought they would have in-house techs or use support from India as the majority do.

I did not know ANY providers who use support from Ukraine. I thought they were USA/India. All outsourcing helpdesk/server management providers I checked was always from India. I will have to look into the Ukraine side.

As I said, I know CloudLinux is from US, but they have Ukraine/Russian sounding names. They have great support there.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Ukrainians have been in the web hosting industry for 20+ years now, it's nothing new.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetVM View Post
    Ukrainians have been in the web hosting industry for 20+ years now, it's nothing new.
    I mean offering remote support, not where they work at Ukraine based web hosting businesses.

If so common and "nothing new", care to share some outsourcing companies that have Ukrainian techs? I do not know of any, but I know there are plenty of Indian ones, and some known USA ones.

If so common and "nothing new", care to share some outsourcing companies that have Ukrainian techs?
    These 400 do? https://clutch.co/it-services/ukraine

Wait till you get to the big "More Service Providers in Ukraine" selection near the bottom.

You're welcome.

I did not know ANY providers who use support from Ukraine.
    https://www.namecheap.com/careers/customer-support/
    "Olga Biletskaya" and "Orest Gorishniy".
    Where do they work?
    Ukraine and India, but both those names don't seem terribly Indian sounding.

Namecheap isn't outsourcing. Those are (not)employees, though with the standard "international shell company" sort of setup. So while Zone3000 is a separate company, Namecheap is their only client that I'm aware of. (Maybe still WebhostingBuzz, a sort-of sibling company years ago, now separate. I think they still rely on them, at least in part.)

This is common. It's not really "outsourcing" to a random company that services lots of companies.

If anything, lots of USA based support is purely outsourced, multiple clients. Customers call the 1-800 number for "AB" and the answer "AB tech support", because that was the number called. Customers call "CD", and get "CD tech support", because CD was called. But the same person "works" for AB, CD, EF, GH, etc. No loyalty to a brand, the company.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

They aren't? While it may not be the typical "round robin" of numerous companies in one call center common in years past, it's not as far as I know a satellite of the parent company. Its a company hired to do support, rather than doing it in house at Namecheap, which is registered in the US (Phoenix AZ).

I never had service with NameCheap, but checking their site many times over the years and them being a large USA provider, I thought they would have in-house techs or use support from India as the majority do.

I did not know ANY providers who use support from Ukraine. I thought they were USA/India. All outsourcing helpdesk/server management providers I checked was always from India. I will have to look into the Ukraine side.

As I said, I know CloudLinux is from US, but they have Ukraine/Russian sounding names. They have great support there.
    One thing to keep in mind is that just because a support staff member is not in the same country as the company does not mean they are 'outsourced'. They could be direct hires / working in a facility operated by the company / etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it often makes sense to have support staff in multiple locations. While it's night in the USA it is day in other parts of the world, for example.

Beyond all of that it really doesn't matter where they are based so long as you receive the service and support you expect. Personally, for example, I have no issues with working with Indian support reps, Malaysian support reps, Ukrainian support reps, etc so long as they're able to do their job effectively - including communicating effectively.

A little secret that most people seem not to know about is that you can get terrible support from US-based staff - being in the US does not automatically make a worker competent or skilled .
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

They aren't? While it may not be the typical "round robin" of numerous companies in one call center common in years past, it's not as far as I know a satellite of the parent company. Its a company hired to do support, rather than doing it in house at Namecheap, which is registered in the US (Phoenix AZ).
    What about US-based staff that are contractors? They're not actually employees of the company although nobody seems to have any issues with this.

There are many different ways to organize your work-force and when you're crossing international borders it may make more sense to spin up a subsidiary or secondary company to handle that work force.

One example that comes to mind is a UK-based provider I'm very familiar with. They're spinning up a US-based presence and rather than dealing with US employees being paid and managed directly by a UK company - they spun up a US-based arm for it. From a paperwork / taxes / etc / etc / etc standpoint it made sense to do it this way for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that it often makes sense to have support staff in multiple locations. While it's night in the USA it is day in other parts of the world, for example.
    And yet, daytime in the US, all I got were those people with names that looked Ukranian. It felt like all support (just for domains, as that's all I had there) was done though the Ukraine, at least chat support. Generally used chat because tickets were far slower.
    A little secret that most people seem not to know about is that you can get terrible support from US-based staff - being in the US does not automatically make a worker competent or skilled .
    Not a secret.
    Interesting counterpoint is that the support from them was also often "less than stellar" and took exceptionally long times, even if the issue was simple. Likely overworked, possibly needing to look up how to handle things.

And yet, daytime in the US, all I got were those people with names that looked Ukranian. It felt like all support (just for domains, as that's all I had there) was done though the Ukraine, at least chat support. Generally used chat because tickets were far slower.

Not a secret.
    Interesting counterpoint is that the support from them was also often "less than stellar" and took exceptionally long times, even if the issue was simple. Likely overworked, possibly needing to look up how to handle things.
    I am, of course, speaking in general. I should have been more clear. I have zero experience with NameCheap support when it comes to hosting and very little when it comes to domains.

dealing in the past with namecheap support, and with at least 3 or 4 big US providers with staff in US that advertise here on the forum. Namecheap support is/was extremely fast, while on almost all providers here, you get kind of fast automatic-robotic reply 1-4hours L1 Support, to escalate to L2 and wait many hours.

"that US Based support" it's way worst in my experience. it's enough to have "fast and good support, you shouldn't care where they are".

Quote Originally Posted by JoseDieguez View Post
    Namecheap support is/was extremely fast
    On average, all chat support took just shy of an hour each issue for me. Without fail, regardless of it being simple or complex.
    Just my bad luck, maybe.

Ive been with Namecheap for a number of years now, this can be verified if need be. This is a unique thread for sure. Never thought about a war affecting my webhosting. My tickets were handled by ppl with names that i thought were from a country in or around Ukraine. Not real familiar with the ppl or cultures in that part of the world so i never pinpointed it to a particular country. Support usually takes an hour, more or less. There grasp of the english language is very fluent and their responses were easy to read and understand. I just hope for the best for the support crew that are affected by the war.
    Stone soup is flavored by its offerings of humanity.

The more i think about this situation, im becoming concerned. Since i have zero knowledge of the connections between a support crew and the servers of a company, i need your expertise and thoughts. If the invaders were to take over the cities where the offices of Namecheaps Ukranian support are, will they have the ability to enter our servers at Namecheap? Are there safeguards in place to prevent this? Is there something we need to do for our webhosting to protect ourselves? Cyberwar is very real and as an invader i would take the oppotunity to overtake a compnies servers especially one as big as Namecheap.
    Stone soup is flavored by its offerings of humanity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast