Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is managed VPS a bad idea for someone who isn't tech savvie?

I've been with Godaddy for the past 10 years, but in the past 6 months their service has become so bad I no longer feel safe with them. The customer support line is not even fit for service and last night I spent two and a half hours on the phone trying to get them to fix a broken SSL certificate. They couldn't. It was clear to me that the Tech support guy was as clueless with website tech as I was. Prior to that, it took no fewer than 6 clueless agents across the space of 2 days, none of which knew anything. In the end I had to do it myself, with guesswork, as Godaddys customer help guide was full of errors and omissions.
    As a result of all this and other terrible experiences with them I wish to migrate to another host.

I have been researching this for the past 24 hours. All of the comparison / review sites keep recommending the same companies, but when I check the organic reviews in Trustpilot for these companies they have terrible reputations. I have heard a lot of cloud hosting recommendations, but bizarrely most of the host websites these comparison sites link to make no mention of cloud hosting and only seem to sell shared hosting packages. I found this website when I added the term 'forum' to my search query and have read a lot of the postings here.

So I hope you don't mind if I ask you for yet another recommendation.

I really want to get away from Godaddy in the next 7 days. From what I've read here, being hosted on a managed VPS might be a better option for me. I'm based in England and most of my traffic is from the UK. I have two web sites running wordpress. One of which is a blog selling a moderate volume of ebooks, low traffic at 1000 hits a day. The other is still being constructed, but will consist of similar mixed media content, mostly text and images, with a slightly higher expected traffic of about 2000 a day. The second site is the one that makes it so hard for me to choose the right host, as I'm thinking of adding Woocommerce (but am open to better suggestions) as it will be selling far more products. I also want to use the Rocket Video plugin to host my videos, as I do not want any involvement with Youtube or Google related products. Would these two add-ons froce me into a higher VPS charge?

I want to avoid shared hosting due to my years on Godday, (and my bad experiences with shared hosting prior to this).

One provider I've seen mentioned here is Knownhost. I'm looking at their managed VPS hosting at $40 a month.

2 Core CPU Processor
    4 GB Guaranteed RAM
    75 GB RAID-10 SSD Storage
    2 TB Premium Bandwidth
    2 IP Addresses
    DirectAdmin Included
    cPanel/WHM Optional

Questions I have though are:

Would this cause speed issues as the closest server to me is in Amsterdam?

Is there a better or comparative host I should be considering?

Is managed VPS still likely to be a problem for someone who isn't very tech savvie?

And would I have to reinstall my wordpress site from scratch?

This last question is my biggest, biggest problem. You see if I try to migrate my website from Godday to Knownhost it will bring along with it, all the problems. I once paid Godaddy £200 quid to fix. Such as a malware virus that came off an infected theme that kept running a rogue .php script. It kept hogging all my resources. They stopped it. But it happened again. They claimed to have got it a second time, and I haven't seen it recurr in a year or so, but I have no confidence in them. I would not want to port my existing website onto a brand new server with an old bug.

So last question: Would I be better off paying a tecchie on Getafreelancer to transfer the site for me piece by piece, so I can ensure all the bad stuff is gone. There's lots of little fixes I need doing also which would surely fall outside of a standard migration service. Including removing Google adsense, repairing my favicon, installing a new theme and most importantly of all, ensuring my last 10 years of articles don't vanish from the search engines due to switching hosts. It's that which really scares me about emplying sometone to rebuild the site on a new server rather than migrate. Losing all my links.

Sorry for the length of the posting, but I'm really keen to hear what good tech advice sounds like after my tragic dealings with Godaddys 'experts'.

Anything compared to the GoDaddy web hosting service should be better. Big providers like GoDaddy are known not to offer a secure and fast service. They are ok for domains, but that's about it.

So going from GoDaddy Shared to a VPS just because their service is poor is extreme. Just try to find a better web host who likes to offer a good service with great value for money - plenty to choose from.

Even if VPS is fully managed, it is very different from a shared hosting service. In most cases, it will be overkill for just 1 site and likely not be as secure or fast as a shared hosting service due to various reasons.

So I would stick to shared but find a better web host.

You should be able to host the plugin you mentioned fine in shared so long as the content is needed for the website to work. What is not allowed is storing data that has nothing to do with the website. Other than that, it should be find.

Quote Originally Posted by smashingtuck View Post

Would be best if the VPS location is in UK since your customers are from UK but you might need to test the IP on this to see if Amsterdam is ok.

> All of the comparison / review sites keep recommending the same companies, but when I check the organic reviews in Trustpilot for these companies they have terrible reputations.

The rule of "promote the companies that pay the most to affiliates" can't be beaten.

> Would this cause speed issues as the closest server to me is in Amsterdam?

A difference of 100 ms is not "visible" when you open a website.

> Is there a better or comparative host I should be considering?

There are hundreds and thousands of options. This is something where it is hard to assign numbers.

> Is managed VPS still likely to be a problem for someone who isn't very tech savvie?

Your managed VPS provider should manage everything for you, so you don't need to have any knowledge on the technical aspects.

> And would I have to reinstall my wordpress site from scratch?

Most likely not.

Virus: Depending on the host you migrate to, they might be able to scan for malware and transfer the good files only.

Sure, you can hire a freelancer but most managed VPS providers will cover that for you.

You would not have any speed issues with a server in Amsterdam. I'm further north than you, but have a server in Amsterdam and there's never been any speed issues.

I wouldn't have thought you need a VPS for what you describe is not really huge traffic. Shared might well be more than enough. There's pros & cons for both types, I'll let others discuss that too.

If the "managed" hosting is fully managed you wouldn't have a problem. Different companies interpret "managed" to a greater or lesser extent. I don't have any experience of KnownHost personally.

A good host will/might do all the transfer for you. One very important thing though - you MUST ensure that full backups have been made of all your data before any transfer is begun. And then that backup delivered to you or a trusted third party somehow, and tested, before you start changes.

If you're not experienced and confident enough to make the transfer and changes yourself, then yes there are people out there who will do it for you. Make sure you hire through a trusted source/site.

Note that nobody is allowed to suggest themselves as a host in this forum. Posters can recommend other companies that they have experience of.

It's always a sleep-loser when doing this type of thing, but it almost always goes well in the end.

Lastly - don't rush into it. Having a timeframe is good, but it's more important that all the ducks are in a row first.

Very helpful answers. Thank you.

So taking onboard what you have all suggested, I'm going to look around for some better shared hosting. The question is, what is the best way to research this? The search results are flooded with review / comparator sites. I appreciate that they are mostly affiliates, but is it reasonable to assume that at least some of the companies mentioned are good. Not a single one of them recommended Godaddy, in the top 10 of anything, so that's a good start.

I began taking a look at A2 Hosting and Dream Hosting, and they seemed to offer really good packages. Multiple domains, free SSL, free migration, good customer service. But I'd never heard of any of these companies until now.

Is there a honest, reliable and impartial webhost comparator site out there?

Very helpful answers. Thank you.

So taking onboard what you have all suggested, I'm going to look around for some better shared hosting. The question is, what is the best way to research this? The search results are flooded with review / comparator sites. I appreciate that they are mostly affiliates, but is it reasonable to assume that at least some of the companies mentioned are good. Not a single one of them recommended Godaddy, in the top 10 of anything, so that's a good start.

I began taking a look at A2 Hosting and Dream Hosting, and they seemed to offer really good packages. Multiple domains, free SSL, free migration, good customer service. But I'd never heard of any of these companies until now.

Is there a honest, reliable and impartial webhost comparator site out there?

The problem is 9/10 are affiliate-driven. There are also a lot of biased reviews etc.

Also, all the big ones spend more on their marketing efforts than they do on their infrastructure i.e they get the attention/sales of the customer from all affiliate-driven sites and Google ads etc but the customer does not benefit at all when it comes to their own hosting service. Slow/old hardware etc.

I know one site where they list good web hosts purely by price/features/performance and do not use affiliate links (so not biased at all), but I cannot link to it because it would be against WHT forum rules (I have a service listed on there).

I suppose what you can do is check the offers section on WebHostingTalk and do some research on several providers that you like the look of and use a money-back guarantee or offer they may have like first month for £0.99 to test their support and website performance. After some time you can pick the one you found to offer the best overall service.

A good managed vps will not require you to do much more then if you still used shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhouse View Post
    A good managed vps will not require you to do much more then if you still used shared hosting.
    I know one issue that many forget to take into account is keeping PHP secure. With a VPS CloudLinux/PHP Selector is not included (unless you pay extra for the license), and that means when the PHP version is EOL on cPanel, PHP is not secure and the website can easily be compromised.

Whereas with Shared/Reseller hosting the provider already has CloudLinux/PHP Selector and CloudLinux automatically keep EOL (End of Life) PHP versions patched which means the site owner can still use EOL PHP 5.3/4/5/6 or 7.x etc.

Also, MailChannels/Imunify360/LiteSpeed is already included in a shared/reseller service. If you have your own VPS you will likely need to pay extra to have those licenses and that bumps up the cost even more.

There is definitely more overheads/management involved with a VPS compared to shared/reseller even if the VPS is "fully managed".

The OP is using shared hosting now and found it to be not so secure...

Location of the web hosting server isn't really a factor since websites parked around the world open in milliseconds regardless of the browser location.

The OP should send an email or use the contact form to test any web host he is considering. Ask questions and see what the response is. Pay only month-to-month until satisfied all is well with the new company.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneRogue View Post
    The OP is using shared hosting now and found it to be not so secure....
    But that is probably because GoDaddy is not using something like Imunify360/Bitninja and not because it is a shared platform.

Or it could be the script/theme/plugin are outdated/insecure, and if that is the case, then there will be an issue on shared and VPS.

What I do when I don't know how to do something, I pay someone to do it for me. I DIY on nonfragile stuff.

What I mean by that is, managed VPS is a good thing for you, everything techy will be taken care of on your behalf from the hosting company.

And would I have to reinstall my WordPress site from scratch? Nope, just normal migration.

However, I would recommend managed WP hosting, such as rocket.net, faster WordPress and tech support that knows how WP works.

Cheers and good luck mate!
    Last edited by arlindmurati; 02-21-2022 at 12:57 PM. Reason: WP - VPS

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    But that is probably because GoDaddy is not using something like Imunify360/Bitninja and not because it is a shared platform.

Or it could be the script/theme/plugin are outdated/insecure, and if that is the case, then there will be an issue on shared and VPS.
    Yup, it could be WordPress.

One word of warning: Managed VPS can just mean, in the worst case scenario, that the hosting company includes a control panel in their operating system initial install. Then "you're on your own, buddy" in terms of Support.

Quote Originally Posted by jonburnaby View Post
    One word of warning: Managed VPS can just mean, in the worst case scenario, that the hosting company includes a control panel in their operating system initial install. Then "you're on your own, buddy" in terms of Support.
    Not really.

Managed VPS will depend on every provider setup. Some include support and some are not unless it is "Fully Managed" which includes support, etc... so it is best to contact the provider first to verify what is included and what is not.

16. in your cases, I do not recommend vps
    It is best for you to find a reliable hosting company
    And you take the hosting of a number of open sites and put all the website in it
    Later, you start reading about the whm control panel
    And then manage servers and ssh commands

> Amsterdam is relatively close to the UK, it should not be a concern.

Is managed VPS still likely to be a problem for someone who isn't very tech savvie?
    > Normally that’s what a managed VPS is meant for, someone who cannot manage it himself. So, the answer is no.

> You might try to backup your website fully, including all files (you might create an archive) and the database. Then it should be quite easy to install it on a managed VPS.

I've been with Godaddy for the past 10 years, but in the past 6 months their service has become so bad I no longer feel safe with them. The customer support line is not even fit for service and last night I spent two and a half hours on the phone trying to get them to fix a broken SSL certificate. They couldn't. It was clear to me that the Tech support guy was as clueless with website tech as I was. Prior to that, it took no fewer than 6 clueless agents across the space of 2 days, none of which knew anything. In the end I had to do it myself, with guesswork, as Godaddys customer help guide was full of errors and omissions.
    As a result of all this and other terrible experiences with them I wish to migrate to another host.

I have been researching this for the past 24 hours. All of the comparison / review sites keep recommending the same companies, but when I check the organic reviews in Trustpilot for these companies they have terrible reputations. I have heard a lot of cloud hosting recommendations, but bizarrely most of the host websites these comparison sites link to make no mention of cloud hosting and only seem to sell shared hosting packages. I found this website when I added the term 'forum' to my search query and have read a lot of the postings here.

I really want to get away from Godaddy in the next 7 days. From what I've read here, being hosted on a managed VPS might be a better option for me. I'm based in England and most of my traffic is from the UK. I have two web sites running wordpress. One of which is a blog selling a moderate volume of ebooks, low traffic at 1000 hits a day. The other is still being constructed, but will consist of similar mixed media content, mostly text and images, with a slightly higher expected traffic of about 2000 a day. The second site is the one that makes it so hard for me to choose the right host, as I'm thinking of adding Woocommerce (but am open to better suggestions) as it will be selling far more products. I also want to use the Rocket Video plugin to host my videos, as I do not want any involvement with Youtube or Google related products. Would these two add-ons froce me into a higher VPS charge?

I want to avoid shared hosting due to my years on Godday, (and my bad experiences with shared hosting prior to this).

One provider I've seen mentioned here is Knownhost. I'm looking at their managed VPS hosting at $40 a month.

2 Core CPU Processor
    4 GB Guaranteed RAM
    2 TB Premium Bandwidth
    2 IP Addresses
    DirectAdmin Included
    cPanel/WHM Optional

This last question is my biggest, biggest problem. You see if I try to migrate my website from Godday to Knownhost it will bring along with it, all the problems. I once paid Godaddy £200 quid to fix. Such as a malware virus that came off an infected theme that kept running a rogue .php script. It kept hogging all my resources. They stopped it. But it happened again. They claimed to have got it a second time, and I haven't seen it recurr in a year or so, but I have no confidence in them. I would not want to port my existing website onto a brand new server with an old bug.

So last question: Would I be better off paying a tecchie on Getafreelancer to transfer the site for me piece by piece, so I can ensure all the bad stuff is gone. There's lots of little fixes I need doing also which would surely fall outside of a standard migration service. Including removing Google adsense, repairing my favicon, installing a new theme and most importantly of all, ensuring my last 10 years of articles don't vanish from the search engines due to switching hosts. It's that which really scares me about emplying sometone to rebuild the site on a new server rather than migrate. Losing all my links.

Sorry for the length of the posting, but I'm really keen to hear what good tech advice sounds like after my tragic dealings with Godaddys 'experts'.
    What type of website are you running? Is it E commerce related or just a brochure / information type site?
    If its for a business it sounds like Managed hosting would be perfect and preferably a firm that also has design and development teams on staff to help out to prevent issues.
    Any decent managed hosting provider will be able to fully patch your website including themes and plugins but having one with developers available to fix plugin issues is handy as well. You can either buy this as an all in one service or choose managed hosting and then pick a developer in your local area to work with. Depends on budget and your preferences.

Oh and your new hosting provider can migrate your existing site for free or you can re-build it. Up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post

Yeah I think Godaddy do have a product they upsell for securing websites can't remember the name of it but its **** compared to Imunify360.
    With CageFS the unsecure site won't affect others on the server as the environment is isolated.
    Unless the server runs out of resources and crashes which might happen if they have a number of sites hacked.

The OP is using shared hosting now and found it to be not so secure...

Location of the web hosting server isn't really a factor since websites parked around the world open in milliseconds regardless of the browser location.

The OP should send an email or use the contact form to test any web host he is considering. Ask questions and see what the response is. Pay only month-to-month until satisfied all is well with the new company.
    Latency certainly does play a factor particularly with Database driven sites like Wordpress the further away the web server is from your ISP's location the slower the website will be to load.
    Obviously if the host uses a CDN, Content Delivery network this can speed up the site globally but then if the Op has data sovereignty requirements such as dealing with Government agencies then they will need to host in the UK.
    Though that is more for healthcare and some other industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy View Post
    Latency certainly does play a factor particularly with Database driven sites like WordPress the further away the web server is from your ISP's location the slower the website will be to load.
    Obviously if the host uses a CDN, Content Delivery network this can speed up the site globally but then if the Op has data sovereignty requirements such as dealing with Government agencies then they will need to host in the UK.
    Though that is more for healthcare and some other industries.
    CDNs don't really speed up websites that are slow, meaning server resource intensive, such as WordPress and heavy forums. Take this website for instance. This page takes seconds to load, not milliseconds, and that kind of makes the location of visitors inconsequential even though this site uses CloudFlare. Websites that don't use CDNs are NOT at risk of censorship of either content or visitors.

So a CDN website has to rely on the technology and the integrity of the folks working for CDNs as well as the technology and the integrity of the folks working at the data center that hosts their website. They have to worry about the security between their website and the CDN, and between the CDN and visitors. Too many fingers in the pie. One too many places something could go wrong when you can eliminate that something simply by not using a CDN.

CDNs don't really speed up websites that are slow, meaning server resource intensive, such as WordPress and heavy forums. Take this website for instance. This page takes seconds to load, not milliseconds, and that kind of makes the location of visitors inconsequential even though this site uses CloudFlare. Websites that don't use CDNs are NOT at risk of censorship of either content or visitors.

So a CDN website has to rely on the technology and the integrity of the folks working for CDNs as well as the technology and the integrity of the folks working at the data center that hosts their website. They have to worry about the security between their website and the CDN, and between the CDN and visitors. Too many fingers in the pie. One too many places something could go wrong when you can eliminate that something simply by not using a CDN.
    Well I've been in this industry for over 13 years and I can definitely tell you that a properly configured CDN does speed up a slow website
    I am not talking free basic plans I am talking hundreds or thousands of dollars a month.
    Take a look at https://www.sgde.org.au as an example if you run the site through www.webpagetest.org both with and without the CDN look at https://sgde.org.au for results without the CDN you will notice the difference in load times.
    It is a lot quicker with the CDN as all the images and the Database is cached.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddy View Post
    Well I've been in this industry for over 13 years and I can definitely tell you that a properly configured CDN does speed up a slow website
    I am not talking free basic plans I am talking hundreds or thousands of dollars a month.
    Take a look at https://www.sgde.org.au as an example if you run the site through www.webpagetest.org both with and without the CDN look at https://sgde.org.au for results without the CDN you will notice the difference in load times.
    It is a lot quicker with the CDN as all the images and the Database is cached.
    Caching a database? Kind of removes the point of a data-driven dynamic site, doesn't it? Also caching a databases isn't really feasible - how would you set up a caching system for this forum? It changes by the second which is why, even though it uses CloudFlare, it is slow. It would take more time to build the cache than it would to load the page. Please provide details by sharing your 13 years of experience in how to do it. I cut my teeth on IBM punch cards and I still know next to nothing. I learn something new about computers and the internet just about everyday.

Many people cannot afford to pay for a CDN and you've overlooked the fact that a CDN is a middle-man that holds the potential to censor content. That censorship can be in what is presented to a visitor and which visitors can view that content. That is a power I, and many others, are unwilling to grant to yet another attempt at a large corporate takeover of the internet.

Why is "speed" so important when we're talking milliseconds to make a connection regardless of where the visitor is in relation to the data center? It is important because somebody said it was and people jumped on the bandwagon without really researching what is a CDN. Well, for one thing a CDN can capture credit card numbers, passwords, and every bit of information that passes between your website and the visitor. It is a spy in the disguise of a service the corporate world has worked very hard convincing people they need - which they don't.

Connection seed has nothing whatsoever to do with speeding up a resource intense application or one that has been compromised by poorly written "plug-ins".

When Google came on the scene I watched people re-code their websites to suit the needs of a large corporation. Now people are nervous about Google rankings and are kept in a constant state of turmoil because Google changes its algorithms to create that turmoil. Google has caused good people to lose their businesses. A CDN's potential to censor and steal information can do the same.

2 Core CPU Processor
    4 GB Guaranteed RAM
    2 TB Premium Bandwidth
    2 IP Addresses
    DirectAdmin Included
    cPanel/WHM Optional

@smashingduck, it depends on the managed VPS. I've seen managed VPS's whose clients were on unsupported & outdated versions of software, & when I asked the client to inquire w/them about it, their answer was, "well, we don't upgrade unless the client requests it." I'd be very careful.

You should be able to migrate your site. I can't speak for anyone else, but I do that free of charge for those hosting or who wish to host w/me. Running a security check on the site would be a wise thing to do. If I have any doubt regarding the site's integrity, I run a security plugin & I also reinstall from known good files whenever & wherever possible.

Hosting your own videos takes up a lot of disk space. For that reason alone, you may have to pay more for hosting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast