Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarney1987 View Post
    Well I've did the math and If I was to sell 2 Dedicated Servers I would almost see ROI.
    Once again, the keyword here is 'if'. A dedicated server is a big investment, and it's going to take a hell of a lot to convince people to go with you rather than one of the more established providers. Honestly - selling as little as a shared hosting package these days is becoming difficult.

But either way, I'll wish you luck. I just hope that you plan for no income for the first month or two.
    Exit3 Creative - UK Based Web Development, Graphic Design & Brand Identity
    Extensive Portfolio | Experienced Team | Competitive Rates | Fully UK Based
    RAR Accredited Agency | Designers Accord Members | UKWDA Accredited Agency
    UK: 0141 846 0020 | US: 866-338-EXIT | AU: 03-9013-EXIT | Check Out Our Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLaszlo View Post
    Now you're talking about stock options? Seriously, you need to do some more investigating before you set foot in this market sector, theres a lot you need to learn.
    Agreed - plus, at the end of the day, if you were offering stock in a company that had a value, then why not. But at the end of the day, the company has no assets, no track record and no defined USP. Take on board the advice that Frank's offered - it's worth listening to.
    Exit3 Creative - UK Based Web Development, Graphic Design & Brand Identity
    Extensive Portfolio | Experienced Team | Competitive Rates | Fully UK Based
    RAR Accredited Agency | Designers Accord Members | UKWDA Accredited Agency
    UK: 0141 846 0020 | US: 866-338-EXIT | AU: 03-9013-EXIT | Check Out Our Portfolio

Well I've been in business Since Dec. So I haven't been doing that bad. But yes I already planned a couple months for a first Dedicated Sale. But before I do anything I just need to make sure I invest into advertising in a solid manner so I can see ROI Fast.

I just know in selling nothing but Shared and Reseller plans there is no real money in it. Not for a long long time anyways. Companies these days selling the unreal plans makes that tough.

Well I've been in business Since Dec. So I haven't been doing that bad. But yes I already planned a couple months for a first Dedicated Sale. But before I do anything I just need to make sure I invest into advertising in a solid manner so I can see ROI Fast.

I just know in selling nothing but Shared and Reseller plans there is no real money in it. Not for a long long time anyways. Companies these days selling the unreal plans makes that tough.
    Heh, clearly you haven't investigated the dedicated server plans out there. Shared/reseller hosting plans have considerably more margin (per server) than any dedicated server. I know many companies that make more per server, then they do for multiple racks of dedicated servers.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

But before I do anything I just need to make sure I invest into advertising in a solid manner so I can see ROI Fast.
    There's your problem - it ain't gonna happen. As the owner, all the risk should be on you, not your workers. If you're prepared to invest in hardware (that may or may not sell) why won't you invest in an employee?

The folk selling, managing and supporting your customers should be your biggest asset(s).

You are misusing the word ROI, which is not encouraging. You probably mean "break even" or "profit". ROI is the amount of return on your investment, not a goal/state.

I just know in selling nothing but Shared and Reseller plans there is no real money in it.
    That is simply untrue.
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

I would by no means work for free but make an investment.

Instead of investing money into a company to pay for things, I would be investing my time. Of course, beforehand the terms would be lay out, and like any other company it's a risk you need to take to become successful. Depending on what I was doing I would expect a higher up spot once the company took off with pay, etc.

Your time is always an investment which is good as any other material matters.
    Brandon Long | https://brandonlong.me/
    Just a guy with a brain.

if I had a long term relationship with you before hand I might be able to work with something like this. I am not in tech support so I, myself, would not be the best person but as far as the relationship that is needed for something like this I would be asking your friends more so than the WHT pop.

Good luck!
    Kevin Boyle- Hivelocity- Account Manager
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Exclusive Flat Rate cPanel Provider

Why not? I would do it if the prospects were promising.

If you have the budget to buy 4-5 dedicated, VPS and whatelse, i'm pretty sure you also have the budget to get ONE high-end VPS with all the licenses, and hire one of the companies which provide support for clients. They can be paid for each support ticket or even with some flat rates (i remember i've seen a reliable one offering an unlimited support for $100/mo, but not sure).

Consider one high-end VPS, if well configured, can also handle 1-2 hundreds of "normal" websites, and when you'll fill it, it would mean you will have 60-80 paying clients, and then would be time to upgrade to a dedicated (or maybe buy another VPS and start putting there new clients).

Don't start with 4-5 dedicated servers, employers, stock options and what else. It's not like opening a cafè, it's a WAY different business.

Quote Originally Posted by rfdomn View Post
    If you have the budget to buy 4-5 dedicated, VPS and whatelse, i'm pretty sure you also have the budget to get ONE high-end VPS with all the licenses, and hire one of the companies which provide support for clients. They can be paid for each support ticket or even with some flat rates (i remember i've seen a reliable one offering an unlimited support for $100/mo, but not sure).

Consider one high-end VPS, if well configured, can also handle 1-2 hundreds of "normal" websites, and when you'll fill it, it would mean you will have 60-80 paying clients, and then would be time to upgrade to a dedicated (or maybe buy another VPS and start putting there new clients).

Don't start with 4-5 dedicated servers, employers, stock options and what else. It's not like opening a cafè, it's a WAY different business.
    Well I already got my servers picked out and soon will be here. I'm actually still talking with data centers trying to figure out where I want to co-locate. I had my heart set on The Planet aka softlayer but they no longer offer co-location.

Anyways back to point I am going to check out some management desks. I was just think that a couple nights ago. Maybe I can get a good contract on a per ticket basis till tickets increase.

Would I work for free for a startup and get paid later? Yes, but only if the owner is taking considerable personal risks and works twice as hard, for that same startup, as I do.

If the owner is safely working elsewhere and simply pushing a few dollars to some hardware that he can sell with minimum loss if things fail? No, never.

I need to believe in the founder/owner. In this case I can't say that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by rfdomn View Post
    Cafè? He's starting with internationally franchised drive-throughs ;-)
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

Quote Originally Posted by raindog308 View Post
    Cafè? He's starting with internationally franchised drive-throughs ;-)
    Ahahha yes, "cafè" was just an example to simplify

No No No No No No No. I couldn't say No enough, despite how much the owner 'believed' in the future profitability in their company. If they can't find the funds to pay you up front, they obviously can't get any financial backers to believe in them, so why should you?

I value my time more than money. And people with enough self-respect are the same in this regard.

So, if a person is willing to spend his time for your company, he'll naturally expecting something in return, not just promises or "job offer in future". That something should either be immediate cash or equity or both (since you are a start-up).

These days, you'd be better off investing in people rather than in hardware. Remember that a loyal employee is sometimes worth more than all of your assets. And you, as an employer, has to be accomodating in order to gain the trust and loyalty.

And, the answer to your question: No. (based on all your replies)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12