* wordpress site speed

1. will a VPS with NVME benefit a wordpress blog much as compared to SSD? if not, what types of apps would benefit most ? (who is nvme for)

2. what is a recommended CDN provider? im currently on cloudflare free plan and open to paying for a CDN service to see if there will be a benefit to my site

3. whats the best caching you can add to a LEMP stack for wordpress: APC, redis, opcache or other? and why?

note already using w3 total cache plugin

NVMe is still SSD but it's faster than regular SSD. Opcache is a good caching method, w3 total cache is good if you have all the required modules installed on the server.
    Martin R - HOSTATCOST.COM
    Web hosting near our cost price for those on a budget.

It helps if the provider is decent and offers good disk IO. Not all providers offering VPS offer the same speed regardless of whether they're all NVMe or NVMe SSD or not.

Opcache
    Redis
    Memcached
    Using LScache crawler
    Helps.

Most people don't realise, but one of the best ways to get the fastest speed is website optimisation, which can do wonders even in a poor hosting environment.

It isn't all about the hardware/software setup, though those are important too, just as it is important to find a reputable and trustworthy provider who is known to offer the best overall service.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by lostrockets View Post
    1. will a VPS with NVME benefit a wordpress blog much as compared to SSD? if not, what types of apps would benefit most ? (who is nvme for)

2. what is a recommended CDN provider? im currently on cloudflare free plan and open to paying for a CDN service to see if there will be a benefit to my site

3. whats the best caching you can add to a LEMP stack for wordpress: APC, redis, opcache or other? and why?

note already using w3 total cache plugin

There are plenty things to be done both VPS and your own site.

Aside from optimizing the VPS, you should carefully check your WordPress site by optimizing images, css/js files, etc... Even if you use SATA, it can do wonders with optimized site.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I just went through this. I am using:

1. Cloudflare as my namservers
    2. CF Cache (WordPress plugin for Cloudflare)
    3. Autoptimize (WordPress plugin)
    4. Imagify (WordPress plugin to optimize images)

With these changes, I am getting a 90 - 93 score with Google page speed test. I was getting in the 50s-60s before these changes. I will upgrade to Cloudflare for $20/mo when I start to get more visits. This monthly plan with automatically improve mobile score, but their free plan does not. So I'm still seeing a 40s-50s score on mobile.

For what it's worth, I'm on a shared hosting plan with CrocWeb.
    Last edited by BoxFly; 03-07-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdsHosted View Post
    I just went through this. I am using:

1. Cloudflare as my namservers
    2. CF Cache (WordPress plugin for Cloudflare)
    3. Autoptimize (WordPress plugin)
    4. Imagify (WordPress plugin to optimize images)

With these changes, I am getting a 90 - 93 score with Google page speed test. I was getting in the 50s-60s before these changes. I will upgrade to Cloudflare for $20/mo when I start to get more visits. This monthly plan with automatically improve mobile score, but their free plan does not. So I'm still seeing a 40s-50s score on mobile.

For what it's worth, I'm on a shared hosting plan with CrocWeb.
    I'd replace 3. and 4. with LSCache and setup Image Optimisation within LScache, especially if the server is already using LiteSpeed.

LScache used to be a paid plugin, but now LiteSpeed allows the hosting provider to use it in the LiteSpeed Web Server license.

I don't see the point of using free or other paid alternatives when LScache does the job, is free and is from the same guys behind the webserver your site already runs on.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by chris2009 View Post
    I'd replace 3. and 4. with LSCache and setup Image Optimisation within LScache, especially if the server is already using LiteSpeed.

LScache used to be a paid plugin, but now LiteSpeed allows the hosting provider to use it in the LiteSpeed Web Server license.

I don't see the point of using free or other paid alternatives when LScache does the job, is free and is from the same guys behind the webserver your site already runs on.
    Hey, thank you for that! I turned everything on in LScache, and I got a higher score! Google is ranking me 96 or 97, and I am getting an A rating (97%) with GTmetrix. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by lostrockets View Post
    NVMe is an interface. So for example you can have NVMe SSDs, SATA SSDs. They're both SSDs. Improvement might be negligible depending on your use case. Are you going to do 5,000MB/s read and write to warrant the need for NVMe? Good SATA ("regular") SSDs can do up to 500MB/s read/write - this should be more than enough for most WordPress setups.

There wouldn't be a noticeable improvement if you move from SSD to NVMe SSD and I have used more than 7 caching plugins for WordPress but for the last 2 years, I am primarily dependent on LiteSpeed WordPress plugin because they have almost everything including in-house CDN.

For CloudFlare I would suggest you buy their Argo to improve latency and faster loading speed

IMHO better choose Enterprise SSD than consumer NVMe.
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

If you want the best possible speed, then a dedicated server is a better choice since you will use all available resources.

Start with opcache memory/production settings, official wp super cache works great, combine two cdn (e.g. cloudflare for the html content type, bunnycdn for the static assets), optimize mysql, use indexes, use only required wp plugins (do not install tons of plugins for small things, just write a "yours" plugin with the required functionality), os caching, tcp optimizations etc... You will have the freedom to choose good components and optimize everything.

If you want more speed during concurrent requests, then you can look to varnish etc.
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2009 View Post
    It helps if the provider is decent and offers good disk IO. Not all providers offering VPS offer the same speed regardless of whether they're all NVMe or NVMe SSD or not.

Helps.

Most people don't realise, but one of the best ways to get the fastest speed is website optimisation, which can do wonders even in a poor hosting environment.

It isn't all about the hardware/software setup, though those are important too, just as it is important to find a reputable and trustworthy provider who is known to offer the best overall service.

You are right!!! I noticed most on this forum focus a lot more on hardware.

But the primary focus should be the software aspect. Make sure your software has no bottlenecks. (Slow Database queries for example.)

Like the Cache Plugins for WordPress suggested above simply takes care of most of the software bottlenecks in WordPress and that should be the first step.

The truth is: With a tight enough bottleneck, your Website will run slow even if it were hosted on Google's infrastructure
    FINCOHOST.COM
    Affordable and Reliable Web Hosting
    https://fincohost.com/

IMHO a good nginx based stack helps too, WordOps is quite easy to setup. CentMinMod is good too.