Dedicated hosting is the renting of a server from a web hosting provider. The server is not shared by anyone else, which affords the operator complete control of the machine. There are generally two types of dedicated hosting: managed and unmanaged.
Advantages and disadvantages of dedicated hosting
Advantages of dedicated hosting
- You don't share the server with anyone else. You have the potential for better security. And you have more control than with shared hosting.
- You don't have to buy or maintain the equipment. Hardware replacement is covered by the hosting provider.
Disadvantages of dedicated hosting
- Dedicated hosting is more costly than shared hosting, especially if you don't have the technical expertise to manage the server yourself.
- If there is an internal error with the Dedicated Server it will take a lot longer to fix than if you where with shared hosting.
Managed servers are servers that the hosting provider either helps to maintain or fully maintains. Managed dedicated server hosts provide various levels of management. However, what the levels include differs from host to host. Most dedicated server providers supply some level of server support.
Advantages of managed servers
- Security updates are completed by your managed server provider.
- Operating system updates are completed by your managed server provider.
- Control panel updates are completed by your managed server provider.
- Any problems with the server or operation with that server are resolved by your managed server provider.
Disadvantages of managed servers
- Depending on the host, you might not have root/admin access if you have a fully managed server.
- Managed servers cost more.
Unmanaged servers are servers that the operator must fully maintain. The hosting provider generally either does not provide support for the server or provides very limited support. Hardware replacements, however, are still the responsibility of the hosting provider.
Advantages of unmanaged servers
- You maintain complete control over the server.
- If you know how to administer a server, a self-managed a.k.a. unmanaged server will cost you less than a managed server.
Disadvantages of unmanaged servers
- You are on your own.
- If you require the host's admins to do troubleshooting, it will probably cost you per hour or per incident.
- Managing the server yourself can take a lot of time.
- Complex Managed Hosting
- What is server management?
- Shared hosting
- Reseller hosting
- Virtual Private Server
- Linux hosting
- Windows hosting
- Choosing a web host
Web Hosting Wiki article text shared under a Creative Commons License.