Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: U2Mike sold

U2Mike sold

It appears that U2Mike has been sold to a German company Padberg IT. After being assured there would be no major changes yesterday 10/08/05 - I receive an email today from the new owner stating that there will be major changes - move from Direct Admin to Plesk and price changes.

So I guess it's time to move ship.

Can anyone recommend a stable, good value host for a U2Mike refugee ?

Thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

It all depends on what your looking for.

Shared, Reseller?

What kind of plan/package do you have in mind. Whats your price range?
      0 Not allowed!

What plan did you have with them?

First, back up all your data. Then begin the search for another Direct Admin host in the offer section, I am sure you will find something with similar specification.

You could try and stay with them for a little while to see how everything turns out.

Why is it that you want to leave, is it because they are changing control panels? or because change in price?

If it's because of the price, you do not know yet if they are going to decrease it or increase it.

Best of luck
      0 Not allowed!

I had a reseller package.

Prices stay the same - resources are cut in half.

I don't expect to get the 6gb disk space and 60gb monthly transfer for $99 / year deal. I guess that's why it wasn't viable.

I'll have a sniff around the forums and see what I turn up - thanks for the tips.
      0 Not allowed!

I never understand why people buy businesses and then change absoutely everything so that the customers don't want to do business with them anymore.

It's stupid, yet people do it all the time, I won't go into names but there are a number of companies on this board who have bought out other companies and made a complete mess of it, unrequired changes resulting in a large loss of their client base.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).
      0 Not allowed!

Are you sure they are cutting the resources in half for current clients as well?

That is a stupid decision to make, I agree with Dan!
      0 Not allowed!

Hi!
    THe situation is worse than you could imagine. The new host is completely shutting down the existing servers and moving everybody to his servers. Even more fun..he is not helping move their data at all.

Bryon
      0 Not allowed!

Even more fun..he is not helping move their data at all.
    That makes it so much easier to just change hosts somewhere else (unless the customer has paid for a year or so in advance).
      0 Not allowed!

I have U2Mike's mini-package and was real happy with them so far (since May 2005) - they are really helpful people.

But this has suddenly happened and Im on the lookout for a new one like U2mike's $20 a yr package (500 MB + 5 GB BW).
      0 Not allowed!

Whats the point of buying the business out if youre going to drive the customers away by these changes...makes no sense to me.
      0 Not allowed!

The new order site claims that "Worried About the Move? No problem, we can move all your websites for free! We do all the work and ensure everything is functioning as it should. To make use of this offer contact the support department. Some restrictions may apply to resellers." This is not what Peter is saying in his mail. Something is very fishy here -- I get the strange feeling that he just has no idea what he's going to do.

Can anyone recommend a directadmin host with SSH access? Hostpc sounds great, but it appears they still don't have SSH access, and, as an sysadmin myself, I despise working without shell access.
      0 Not allowed!

There is another company called TheSitePeople - the packages are almost the same - thats because u2mike and thesitepeople were a single company before (or something like that).

but Im not able to find reviews abt thesitepeople here - search results to 6 - which are pretty old now.

Anyone know anything abt thesitepeople ?

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    That makes it so much easier to just change hosts somewhere else (unless the customer has paid for a year or so in advance).
    . . . I had a reseller package . . . 6gb disk space and 60gb monthly transfer for $99 / year . . .
    . . . U2Mike's mini-package . . . $20 a yr package (500 MB + 5 GB BW). . .
    Of course, this could also explain why the business wasn't able to sustain itself and why someone taking over has to charge more as well.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

community.u2mike.com is down now:
    "Warning: main(./sources/Drivers/mySQL.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/u2mike/domains/u2mike.com/public_html/community/index.php on line 133

Warning: main(./sources/Drivers/mySQL.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/u2mike/domains/u2mike.com/public_html/community/index.php on line 133"

I think the switchover has begun -- now to drop this like a hot potato (did I actually write that?) and keep looking for a new host -- tis really a shame, u2mike had great service...
      0 Not allowed!

Seems it just the forum thats down !
    403 Forbidden !
      0 Not allowed!

If anyone can recommend a DirectAdmin reseller that would be great.
    Not impressed with U2mike's actions - no warning!

I just pre-paid my package for a year

Is Mike still doing the VPSeasy and 99hosting (don't recall the exact names)?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mikeage
    Can anyone recommend a directadmin host with SSH access? Hostpc sounds great, but it appears they still don't have SSH access, and, as an sysadmin myself, I despise working without shell access.
    Stay away from HostPC!! I came to u2mike from HostPC and I can definitely say that you will better served anywhere else but there.

I really hope this new owner doesn't just shut off the servers with no notice like he did the u2mike forum.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, technically, he did mention that he's shutting down community.u2mike and support.u2mike -- that said, I can't understand why (presumably, he's prepaid for this month, so why would this bother him, unless he didn't like that we were all complaining).
      0 Not allowed!

Well..it was the German who mentioned that
    The support-center (http://support.u2mike.com) and forum (http://community.u2mike.com/) will not be online avalible any longer and will be closed.
    but never mentioned when.
    Last edited by anjanesh; 08-11-2005 at 03:06 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by hcm
    Stay away from HostPC!!
    hcm - Just wanted to know why. Most people who move from u2mike seem to be going to hostpc - based on search in wht forums.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with HCM.
    Stay away from HOSTPC - I had nothing but trouble during the year I hosted with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Seconding the looking for similar to 500/5 plan with shell access. Selling to someone who is forcing a control panel change doesnt seem right at all.
    Why do they call them fingers? I never seen them fing. Oh, there they go.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by lokust
    I had a reseller package.

Prices stay the same - resources are cut in half.

I don't expect to get the 6gb disk space and 60gb monthly transfer for $99 / year deal. I guess that's why it wasn't viable.

I'll have a sniff around the forums and see what I turn up - thanks for the tips.
    that's one hecht of a deal
    Eleven2 Web Hosting is helping the Red Cross
    Eleven2 Hosting - www.eleven2.com
    Help The Red Cross - www.redcross.org
      0 Not allowed!

Other thing that I wonder about is customers that have SSL's as this is issued per the type of server you have. I got one of the yspecial plans 5GB Space, 60GB transfer unlimited domains, and more for $99.95 year.

I think that a better idea of doing all of this is to keep the u2mike.com servers and when customers of the old u2mike.com plans expire they can renew with the new u2mike.com plans offered which in turn they would be on a different server or not renew at all. Old u2mike.com has 2 servers and as more and more customers expire you can then move some accounts from one old server to the other one so that there is just one server for what is left of the old u2mike.com customers. Then as those customers expire to where there are no more old customers then they could shut down that server. They would make it a lot easier that way customers have a lot more time to find a new host if they want to and they also will still be able to have DirectAdmin hosting until their account comes up for renewal. This seems like a better way of doing it.
    Just my 2 cents worth!!!

I signed up with u2mike.com because of the reviews here at WHT but I was worried about them being so new and not even a year old. I guess I had a VERY good reason to worry!! I have only been with u2mike.com for 4 months now. I think that u2mike.com should have given as a warning about him selling his company as so that customers could better plan things. I hope that there are not any u2mike.com customers that are out of town and haven't read their emails!! That would suck to come back home to find that you host is no longer!!(things changed with no warning)

At first I was ok with the move but after today getting an email from the new owner I am not so sure anymore.
      0 Not allowed!

Anyone know what am I supposed to do to get a low-budgeted one ? Like u2mike's $20 a yr hosting ?

All I need is :
    100 MB space
    500 MB BW
    PHP 4.3.11 + MySQL 4.0 or 4.1 + common extension libraries
    Dont care which Control Panel - all works for me.

Cannot afford more than $25 a yr for this site - its a community site for just 42 members - so theres not profit involved in this.

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast