Server Processors (AMD vs Pentium)

Which one do you run? Do you have any comments? Which is the best to go for?
    LNXPS - C# XPS Library

The Sun Bingo -

I'm an AMD person, myself, but it depends on what you're wanting to run. If you let us know that, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of suggestions.

"Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

Pentium

Shikha
    Dinsol.com Web Hosting Since Year 1999 Open Running Stable
    Social Media Optimization & Marketing Services with World Class Quality
    www.dinsol.com

Dual Athlon's burn the other cpus . I also mean it literally, so make sure you have sufficient cooling.
    Ronny Fang
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

I'm AMD man too
    Powered by AMD & FreeBSD.
    "Documentation is like sex:
    when it is good, it is very, very good;
    and when it is bad, it is better than nothing."

we use all intel, but we're looking at some AMD possibilities soon (cost effective...)

PIII

We normally go with AMD because we tend to find better package deals with AMD stuff. Most of the time we can get a good deal on an AMD processor with a motherboard. Don't see as good of prices on Pentiums, but maybe we are not looking in the right places.

Justin

wich one?

hia!

i'm about to get a new server. This server will host 150+ sites with cpanel. So, what u gurus think i should chose?

AMD Xp
    P4 ?

Wich one offers more reliability and performance?

thanks in advance!

AMD = Home PC

Intel = Server

IMHO.

i think the basic conclusion of most of these post are that AMD chips get hotter than Pentium. Therefore, for servers using Pentium is safer... For home, AMD is cheaper and more economical. (Remember you aren't packing everything together into one tiny box for home PCs and therefore venting is better and you can get bigger fans and you can monitor it better while at the DC, you got servers stacked one on top of each other. Also these servers are packed into a case maybe 2 times bigger than a laptop..) remember the guy who burned his bling bling off a few weeks ago because he had his laptop sitting on his lap for a long time?

Id use a Pentium if I was co-locating or placing it a DC.
    But maybe a AMD at home for game playing.

Just wondering, any of your guys ever tried using dual AMD MP's with water cooling? how'd it go?

Originally posted by James[UH]
    AMD = Home PC

Intel = Server

IMHO.
    www.quost.com - Quost WebHosting
    www.mythellaneous.com - Mythellaneous - A shop selling a Collection of Mythical Creatures and Spooks.

Originally posted by aragon
    remember the guy who burned his bling bling off a few weeks ago because he had his laptop sitting on his lap for a long time?
    YOU SERIOUS!!!

/me never going near a laptop again with so much at stake!

Well if your talking about PIII then I can see the reason for not using AMD. PIII does run much cooler....but as far as PIV goes it doesn't run that much cooler then the AMD XP cpu. I don't believe it matters as much as having a good case and fans that help with cooling. Also if its a good colo they should have a nice HVAC system that will keep it a steady temp.

Read this test report and then make your decision:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2001...tvideo-05.html

My AMD in my server could be running at 70 degrees Celsius (it's not), but as long as it keeps working, this correlation between heat and instability is just a theoretical one. How many of you have had an AMD cpu burn up, overheat to the point of malfunction, or fry a mobo? Unless your heatsink fan dies (I've never had one die, and I've had AMD cpus for about 3 years), the AMD should be just fine. And that's more of an issue with fan longevity than cpu "stability," which everyone keeps accusing AMD cpus of lacking.

For server task i wold pic intel over amd...

p3 over a celeron
    p4 over a celeron
    xeon over all
    p3 dual over p4/celeron/xeon ( if it is - 1 Gz )

Xeon dual/ 2Gz our + over anything

PS : p3 dual for lot's off site it not too much db and xeon's for db's and a good # off sites per server

Originally posted by atr
    How many of you have had an AMD cpu burn up, overheat to the point of malfunction, or fry a mobo? Unless your heatsink fan dies (I've never had one die, and I've had AMD cpus for about 3 years), the AMD should be just fine. And that's more of an issue with fan longevity than cpu "stability," which everyone keeps accusing AMD cpus of lacking.
    I have.

I also have an AMD server (soon to be replaced with a P4) that has instability problems when it gets too hot in the DC. I had two Athlon workstations that froze at random intervals until I rebuilt them.

I also have had MANY CPU cooling fans freeze because:

a) the bearings dry out
    b) even the ball-bearing fans tend to use cheap bearings which get tight after a while
    c) the fan sucks in dust from everywhere which reduces air flow and cooling, and also binds the fan

I have had servers returned from a DC with all the cooling fans either not working, or working so slowly that they do virtually no cooling.

I have sent servers to datacenters and had the heat sink fall off in shipping and the datacenter turn it on because they didn't realize it was off.

Now I can deal with these on a machine physically in my location - I can listen for fan noise, hear a noisy bearing, and deal with it. I can manage the issues with fan longevity.

But the topic here was about processors for server duty where you need the server to keep running in spite of all the factors that will conspire to shut it down, and do so with minimum maintenance. If you are confident that your server will never be subjected to any problems like the ones I've had then an Athlon may be a good choice for your server.

If you aren't sure you can manage these types of problems, then it may not be as good a choice for your server.

I use AMD for PC's, Intel for Servers.