hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : did I just kill my server witht this command ?!?

Forum Jump

did I just kill my server witht this command ?!?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Angry

did I just kill my server witht this command ?!?

Ok I'm running centos 5 x64 and doing some testing on new servers that just had all software installed.

I was reading a topic somewhere and someone mentioned this command that they used to test the speed of their hdd raid:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1000

So I thought that cant do no harm if someone else is running it so I ran it (except I did it with count=10000 because with 1000 it finished too quick as its a 15k SAS RAID10)

Anyway, so a little while later I goto the dc and connect to this server to run some tests, one of them being "arcconf getconfig 1" to retrieve details about the raid...

It doesnt react ... so I run it again .. nothing. Then suddenly it says can't open some log file in /var/log and still doesn't run (I was able to open the same file myself using pico without problems)

So I goto cli and "shutdown -r now" and BOOOM tons of errors all over the screen incl. ext3 related stuff. After a few mninutes of pages and pages of errors, I power off/on the box and it comes back. I enter the adaptec bios and it shows the array as "Optimal" but then when I goto boot ... nothing, doesnt recognize the boot media.

So I run linux rescue from the centos cd and it tells me that that partition table is UNREADABLE and that the only thing it can do is re-initialize the drives causing loss of all data.

Apologies for the long description I just wanted to be detailed.

Anyway, so here I am ..reinstalling centos on this box. Now I want to know if the command that I ran above would/could have caused damage to the partition table or if its more likely to be a hardware (raid controller) problem ????

Scary thing is I ran the SAME command on 5 other IDENTICAL servers and they all seem ok (so far) but I havent tried rebooting them yet

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Web Hosting Guru

yep looks like I've killed them sll ... just rebooted snother one snd ssme issue, partition table ****ed.

Wow, what A DOUCHE. I feel like such a spastic now.

You'd think after 10 years in the biz I'd know better than to simply run a command like that without first making 100% sure it can do damage.

Oh well 2 days of work lost. But I'm happy believe it or not. It's just software and I can reinstall that easily since these boxes are not live yet... I was worried it was the RAID controller that ****ed up (due to some previous issues with it in relation to its BIOS). Happy to know the raid controller didnt do anything wrong

Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Oh this is too funny.

I guess we live and learn Care to name & shame where this 'advice' came from?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Ouch.... Sounds like one of those days. Good thing it's nothing serious other than the software

Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Web Hosting Guru

wasn't advice really ..just someone mentioning they used that to test the speed of their HDDs (think it was one of those "vibrating fans killed my hdd" threads

but yeah ... its friggin insane and funny at the same time. But I am REEEALLL happy it wasnt the controller that did something as my initial assumption was and I was already starting to consider which controller to replace it with and how much of a huge hassle that is going to be

as it stands its just a bunch of os/cpanel reinstalls ... pain in the arse but I AM in the process of stress testing these boxes before they go live at the end of the month, so this is kinda giving them a bit of a workout.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

really...

hdparm for the win...

i use dd responsible though....

sorry to hear that you killed your box....

i hope u were able to sleuth out the data.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Web Hosting Master

Heh, well.. you could indeed use that command to test the sequential write speed of a RAID. But it would be a destructive test, essentially zero-filling the first 10GB of the disk.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Security Ninja

Ugh. Sounds like someone trolled you... next time, if you're not 100% sure what the command does, don't run it as root. :]

Old 11-15-2010, 03:14 PM
That's all it takes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi View Post
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=10000

Scary thing is I ran the SAME command on 5 other IDENTICAL servers and they all seem ok (so far) but I havent tried rebooting them yet

I really hope those are not production servers; you overwrite the first 10GB of raw data... those 5 servers should be toast as well. sorry

if = input
of = output
bs = blocksize
count = count

Old 11-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Junior Guru

On the off change you're still keen on running the test, replace the original of= with of=foofile and you should be good to go. Remember to remove the foofile when you're done.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Web Hosting Master

That is pretty amusing. Lesson learned. When I was a newbie I once did yum uninstall libstdc++. That caused one helluva night.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM
WHT Addict

Nice.

Hope proper backups were kept ; )

..OMG they tried to kill init.. you b@stards.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Web Hosting Guru

no backups, these were not live boxes!

I'm surprised no one asked yet what ths epeed result was anyway ... 770 megajigabytespersec!! Haha

Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
I'm surprised no one asked yet what ths epeed result was anyway ... 770 megajigabytespersec!! Haha
Nah the zeroing over of your disk is far more amusing than any speed result.

..OMG they tried to kill init.. you b@stards.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
no backups, these were not live boxes!

that test uses buffer, so it's not accurate at all.
if you want to test the real disk speed, you should use dd with oflag=dsync.

so you basically killed your OS by running a not accurate speed test