Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best place to buy servers and server parts

Hello,

I'm looking into buying a server and having it colocated, however, I want it to be colocated in the US, and I currently live in England.

Where is the best place that could handle the building of the server and the transporting of it to the chosen datacenter?

Regards,
    Karl

You could just build it online, get it send to the DC and let the DC staff get it and put it online.

I can't recommend any site specifically for hosting servers, as I've never bought servers online. I buy my stuff at newegg.com and get them to Colombia with family.
    Diego Rodríguez - diego@deroba.org
    Professional Services since 2009

Yup I recommend newegg.com also for buying server parts. Highly satisfied with them.
    :::Psychz Networks::: + :::GIGePIPE:::
    ★24/7 On-Site Support - Multi-Homed Network - 3 Data Center Locations
    ★Los Angeles, (Dallas Coming SOON) CA Premium Network & Dedicated Servers
    ★DDoS Protection Included with every server

I would agree with Newegg. They have great prices and I have read many good things about them.

I'm interested in a similar arrangement as the OP.
    I wonder which datacenters would be flexible with these kind of arrangements though (shipping the parts and requesting them be assembled).

The best way, would be to buy your equiptment from your colocation provider. Then you can also arrange a special warranty agreement on them for onsite repairs.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Primary locations: Netherlands, Chicago, Bay Area, Miami and New York.
    Support response time within 15 minutes 24x7 low priced dedicated servers available on Swiftway Serverdeals

+1 for NewEgg
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

newegg is great. also http://www.superbiiz.com/ has been fantastic for me as well.

many colocation providers would be willing to assemble a server for an extra fee. Or maybe find someone local who will do it. Where are you planning to colocate?
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    I'm interested in a similar arrangement as the OP.
    I wonder which datacenters would be flexible with these kind of arrangements though (shipping the parts and requesting them be assembled).
    I would just be careful to send the datacenter an inventory of the parts you're sending in. I had once a DC assemble a server for me, only to find it had the wrong cpu's in it. I'll never know what the truth was for sure, but the DC claimed that newegg sent the wrong part. The DC had thrown out the packaging that came with the cpu's, so it was pulling teeth to get newegg to take them back, as they require the original packaging for returning cpus. They did eventually take them back with a restocking fee, but it was a huge hassle and expense. For all I know, the datacenter put someone else's hardware in there. I've never had a problem with newegg sending me the wrong stuff.

Either pay your colocation provider for this service, or buy it at Dell. With Dell, you can have hardware support onsite without additional costs.
    i3D.net (Deals) - Mail: sales@i3d.net
    Specialized in on-demand infrastructure: Managed colocation & HP/Dell Intel Xeon E3, E5 servers
    Features: 36,000 sq ft datacenter, 10.000 servers, 370 Gb network, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Sydney
    Network Carriers: AMS-IX (Amsterdam), LINX (Juniper LAN), DE-CIX (Frankfurt), NL-ix PLIX, Any2 (California), Level3, Cogent, NTT, Deutsche Telekom (DTAG)

http://www.thinkmate.com/ for Supermicro assembled servers, it's a tad more expensive than buying the parts and assembling yourself but at least you can have it assembled, ready, and delivered directly to the facility.

Do you have a specific facility in mind?
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting, LLC - Professional Hosting Solutions
    LiteSpeed Powered - Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    For high-end shared accounts ideal for business, check out our Premium offerings!
    http://www.mddhosting.com/ - Providing Quality Services since 2007

Looking into a datacenter in Dallas, Texas really.

Dell is obviously a good option, a bit expensive, but good. You can order barebone Supermicro systems from Newegg. Superbiz (ewiz) can have good pricing but their customer service is far from what Newegg offers. Tigerdirect also sells servers.

Do you live in Texas near the DC you like? If not then you should also consider just leasing a machine. If you build a custom system how can you expect the DC to have exact spare parts for you?
    Steve Eschweiler- DOO
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data center.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post
    Dell is obviously a good option, a bit expensive, but good. You can order barebone Supermicro systems from Newegg. Superbiz (ewiz) can have good pricing but their customer service is far from what Newegg offers. Tigerdirect also sells servers.

Do you live in Texas near the DC you like? If not then you should also consider just leasing a machine. If you build a custom system how can you expect the DC to have exact spare parts for you?
    I currently live in England, so I'd buy spare parts and keep them on site.

I've looked into a rent-to-own option, but leasing is just dead money.

Quote Originally Posted by HivelocityGM View Post

I've ordered from quite a number of retailers when I was building a rack of equipment. I'd put ewiz / superbiz up there with newegg. Certainly the website isn't as pretty, but their shipping is fast, customer service is easy to deal with, and getting your CC cleared was no problem. Sure, newegg is great at these things too, I just wanted to mention it, because of maybe a dozen people I bought from, only newegg and ewiz had the products, pricing, and service I was looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast