Digitise those DVD's

Evening chaps & chapets

After sitting and looking at my 500 or so DVD's on the shelves for a while I figured it was about time that those DVD's made it onto one of the servers for streaming about the house. All my TV's support DLNA streaming, and I have an old Netgear Duo which will act as a DLNA server.

Can anybody recommend a method / bit of software which will encode from DVD direct to a decent format that everything will work with. Common supported formats seem to be MPEG1, MPEG4 & DivX.

Suggestions appreciated.

- Benjamin
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Your going to have to copy the contents of the DVD's with a program that decrypts copyright BS first then convert it. :\
    Brad T. Burns - CEO - brad.burns(@)zioinc.com
    Zio, Inc. - Shared. Reseller. VPS. Dedicated. Gaming. Cloud.
    AIM: ZioEspeed Skype: ZioBrad Steam: ZioBrad
    Website

I had the same issue... lots of cheap hard drive space, lots of DVDs, etc. Now that it is legal in US(at least my interpretation, I'm not a lawyer) to make backups of your DVDs/music (updated to the DMCA), I started making copies.

Anyway, I've found ripping to the native format using the free version of DVD Decrypter worked best for my needs.

From there, I can further rip to divx, etc, but I've found those formats to be time consuming and sometimes not generating great rips (ie sound does not sync with video).

Burning to .vob I've never had a playback issue, although it does take up more space. But the picture is exactly as your dvd (well, it is an exact copy, so it should).

Best thing is windows media center will play the vob folders directly... you can also download free programs that will show the folders, put the dvd pictures on the folders, and play.

I'd go to another site for that info... video sites are best for these types of questions, imo.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!