Will upgrading portspeed lower ping?

Ok simple question at the min the server is in Colorado springs which is on a 100mb shared connection on server if i upgrade to 1gb should it lower ping times or not really?

Quote Originally Posted by imryan View Post
    Ok simple question at the min the server is in Colorado springs which is on a 100mb shared connection on server if i upgrade to 1gb should it lower ping times or not really?
    No, it will not change the ping times, The only way to change the ping is to find a server closer to you.
    Reliable Web Hosting 24x7x365 Support
    Automated WHM Backup Script
    Click Here Protect Your Websites

It will not lower your ping just as GoFindUs mentioned above, but it will improve your network speed.

For instance, with 100 Mbps port you usually get about 10 Mbps and with 1 Gbit port you could go much higher.
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions

The only way to change the ping is to find a server closer to you.
    True, though you (the owner) might not be the right visitor to optimize performance for. For example, if I were to attempt to minimize ping for me, I would have to use a European host. But the bulk of my sites' audience is North American (and Indian, but there's less value in that traffic). Hosting in the US is what makes most sense.

Just to clarify, distance of the server is not necessarily what "closer" means. Its finding a shorter route. If your host has more than one provider and runs BGP there are somethings they could do to improve upon your route to your host.

Ultimately finding a shorter or better path to your host is going to reduce your ping times.
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    True, though you (the owner) might not be the right visitor to optimize performance for. For example, if I were to attempt to minimize ping for me, I would have to use a European host. But the bulk of my sites' audience is North American (and Indian, but there's less value in that traffic). Hosting in the US is what makes most sense.
    There is only one way to get better ping rates without moving the server and that is to ask the data center if they would try to optimized the IP for your country such as the UK or China. I have done this for China and India but most data center will not because of the time factor involved in doing this. The server I have has less then 200ms ping from china and is hosted in the US and and US ping rate is 65ms. Now my server that is not optimized is getting 400ms from China in the same data center with the same US ping rate of 65ms. I have not tried to have my server optimized for the UK but it is on my list to do.
    Reliable Web Hosting 24x7x365 Support
    Automated WHM Backup Script
    Click Here Protect Your Websites