Upgrading to VPS - your thoughts please

I have read thru the other VPS thread...
    OK, I looked over liquid & ServInt (not for us), WT, KnownHost... I have also looked into IM Motion, 1:1 and Rackspace. WT looks good - but I am wondering: Who else should I explore? We've been using XO for both hosting and IP for years - but they are getting the heave hoe. We are changing to Verizon T1 and preparing to launch a new site. We want speed, reliability, serious spam blocking technology and obviousely more space. We want professionals who can figure out an issue and get us back up FAST when something goes wrong (like they change us to a new server that isn't compatible and it takes them a week to figure it out!). Your thoughts and experience are welcome & appreciated.

Just be aware that a managed vps usually doesn't include anything other than OS patching. If you want more of an advanced configuration, like they setup spam filtering you may have to hire a server management company for that.

It comes with IM Motion (according to their salesman). Perhaps it is an addon. Our security gets a lot, but our current provider catches around 8000 per day and stops their delivery (it goes into a junk folder).

So I chose WT, and everything sounded great until we got to the Linux and Windows issue.... They don't do windows. Which companies do you think are worth checking out. Known's small print really put me off. Help:

check vpsland.com and jaguarpc.com , they both do windows
    Chicago VPS | Gigabit uplink host90.com

OpenVPN VPS spidervpn.com

Most VPS that have a CP will come with some type of anti-spam (ex: spamassassin) but IMHO this is not heavy duty. I would ask your host (ex: IM Motion) for EXACT details as to what spam protection is used.

I'm going to throw this out there (it may or may not be a viable option for you). But why not separate the email from the VPS (hosting)? I would look to use Google Apps for domains so that you can still use your domain name (and get email accounts like "user1@mynewdomain.com") but be running on Google's cloud. I have found this to be the best method to get robust spam and email uptime.

IMHO I think you have the big boys of fully managed right there (KH, Servint and WT) with the only issue being the Windows part. If you have a realistic budget and absolutely need windows AND linux from the same host take a look at Cartika or SolarVPS (been awhile since I tested either but they are solid).

What exactly about KH"s small print did you not like?

So far there have been a couple of real turnoffs from various sites, althought the big one I noted as KH, but i can't find the page again!
    I don't like being nickle and dimed for each little thing.

One site goes on and on about stuff being the customers fault and they charge $65/hr to fix - very unfriendly and not a user friendly environment if they are doing CYA in advance.

A couple of the salespeople I have talked to have given me a bad impression.

What I want is a turn key environment. I simply want the tools to run my website, great speeds, uptime and professional/couteous representatives. We have grown our company into a multimillion$ corporation by choosing service provideres that I can TRUST. XO(concentric) has failed us too many times in recent years with service outages - either with their hosting or IP services. We are changing both.

I want a service that can grow with us, not limit us - (that is why I going towards VPS. I am looking for the long range solution.

OK, so I sort of vented! But now you understand where I am coming from.

I guess I have been with KH for more then a year now and they have been the pinnacle of courteous professionalism, amongst the best I have tried.

I'm not sure who your nickle and dime comment was meant towards but EVERY host provides a specific package and upgrades (and any overages) will cost extra. Not sure if that's what you meant but I have never been charged for a single extra penny for anything (outside of requested upgrades) with any of the hosts I've ever been with. Mind you if you abuse the system/resources then a company has a right to re-coup those costs no?

I will say this if you're really a multimillion $ corp why not get the best dedicated server and then hire the best management company to run it for you? You'll get maximum control of growth and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramprage View Post
    Just be aware that a managed vps usually doesn't include anything other than OS patching.
    that really isnt a "managed" instance. Heck, Ksplice will do this automatically and without a reboot. Management, at least in my humble opinion, goes well beyound kernel updates..
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Nnyan - Because in our industry we are still considered a small business. I used to work for a thinktank that had "maximum control" - I really am not that refined, nor have that much money to spend! LOL I want to keep the people who work with us well fed and still grow!
    Cartika - OS patching is all one VPS host will do out there. I should have kept a detailed synopsys is the offerings I have explored over the past month.

[QUOTE=Nnyan;7076164] Mind you if you abuse the system/resources then a company has a right to re-coup those costs no?
    QUOTE]

I agree in recoup. I think the issue is I want a package fee vs. $1 license+$5 license+base+ etc....
    personal preference I think. (Letting someone else make those choices is fine with me)

Quote Originally Posted by USAC View Post
    Cartika - OS patching is all one VPS host will do out there.
    honestly not sure what to say here. OS Patching is not management - it is simply OS patching. Though, to be fair, everyone defines management differently. It has been a big challenge for us to explain that management means management - and users need to understand what they are comparing against - at least to understand their total cost of ownership.. tough being a consumer in this industry sometimes..
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by Ramprage View Post
    Just be aware that a managed vps usually doesn't include anything other than OS patching. If you want more of an advanced configuration, like they setup spam filtering you may have to hire a server management company for that.
    This is not true - there are many fully managed VPS providers that will manage much more than that
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

I've seen managed VPS where you don't even get root/admin access to the server. They keep it.. and secure / patch / you name it the server. Same thing with dedicateds
    AS395558

I have been using bodhost.com for some time now. They are nor cheap neither expensive, they just at honest price. Good service for money paid.
    If you are in the search have a look.

USAC,
    Management can mean different things to different providers, however, you can generally gauge what you're getting by what you are paying. For 20 bucks a month, nobody is going to give you full management on a Windows VPS, unless perhaps they want to lose money.

Windows Virtuozzo providers will generally give you a better price for a managed system than say a Xen based system simply because the node density for Windows Virtuozzo is much higher than on Xen. If you are looking for Virtuozzo, expect to pay between 50-75 dollars for a good managed system with 1GB of RAM. This type of service isn't going to give you everything under the Sun, however, the provider should give you support and management for that price.

For a comparable Xen based system or a Cloud VPS, expect to pay between 75-150. Xen is really a great system and if you want to have your own kernel, it's the way to go. Hyper-V is also an option but personally I prefer Xen.

If you want someone to do absolutely everything for you, you might consider a 3rd party server management company. You could also talk to your provider and see if they are willing to provide a full pro-active management service for you for a fee. Most providers I know will not automatically login to your system and perform all your monitoring, security, updates, patches, etc every month for 50-75 dollars.

Good luck in your search!

-Ross
    Solar VPS The Best Price to Performance Ratio In Cloud and VPS Hosting
    e: sales@solarvps.com
    The SolarSystem - On Demand VM Creation, DNS Control and more.
    Speed Test: speed.fortressitx.com

17. i've recently signed up for hosting using vpsland.com and wasn't too pleased. their server build process must have been manual. it took about 2-3 hours to get my VIRTUAL server built and turned on. after that it took another 2 days to get an IP assigned to my server. Every once in a while i notice that my server is not responding the way it should. the load on my VPS is 0.00, but it takes 3-5 seconds to refresh in the "top" command. sometimes it takes 20-45 seconds to get a bash prompt after issuing a command. it looks to me like vpsland.com is overloading their host servers.