Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    * Need advice to buy a dedicated

    Currently i runs a Clipbucket script based video sharing site.Since it was video sharing the BW usage is so high and also it need some CPU power to convert videos.Currently im having only 70-100 users online but when the traffic is more than that value the server starts to give timeout errors because it cant handle more than that. Currently im doing all this stuff on a shared server.and now i was suspended from the server due to over usage of CPU.
    I have consumed nearly 15 TB BW for this month and nearly 13TB for the last month.So this also indicate that im using nearly 40Mbps on the line.
    Due to all these reasons im looking for a dedicated server.I have found few servers which matches my budget.The are

    From 100TB.com
    Pentium D 930
    2GB RAM
    1x500GB HDD
    100TB Bandwidth
    Ian: Price: $133.65 /month - $120 first month
    cpanel but it is 25/month

    From fdcserver.net
    Dual Core Intel E5200
    8GB RAM
    2x 1.5TB HDD
    100Mbps line
    Free Cpanel
    will be 149$

    *Max budget 150$/Month
    *For me cpanel is a must and i dont need managed service.
    *No special location.
    *Most of the videos are in Low quality and new videos converted to low quality.(Less cpu power)

    guys Please recommend me a good Dedicated server.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,166
    The 2 you mentioned here are nice starters, so try out 1 of those.
    I don't think you will find it cheaper though
    InstantDedicated.com - Quality Dedicated Servers [4 locations in EU/NL + 1 location in US/Miami]
    Resellers welcome! WHMCS API module available - OS reinstall, reboot, rDNS, KVM-over-IP, Bandwidth graphs

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,080
    I wouldn't go with the Pentium D, especially comparing the prices vs ram, hard drive, etc. You also don't need any crazy processing power as stated in your original post.

    Checkout the offer sections and compare your requirements, there are a lot of providers out there so really, your options are endless

    Good luck with your search!
    » VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    » HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Casablanca
    Posts
    153
    +1 for the second.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    CA/TX USA
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by bandara View Post
    *For me cpanel is a must and i dont need managed service.
    May I ask how much experience you have in running an unmanaged server? I don't mean to sound cheeky, but it takes years of hands-on experience to stay on top of things, and your budget is adequate to get a managed dedicated server.

    In any case, best of luck.

    Rick
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Colombia
    Posts
    2,143
    +1 for the second, the hardware and just the CPU is much better, and there isn't such a big difference in price.
    Diego Rodríguez B. - https://diegorbaquero.com
    CS Student, Geek, Software Engineer, Developer

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,410
    The 2nd is better. But my faith in FDC's network is non existent.

  8. #8
    I have ordered the second server from FDC.and still waiting for the confirming phone call to process the order(after 3 hours). Anybody have an idea when will fdc process my order.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by bandara View Post
    From fdcserver.net
    Dual Core Intel E5200
    8GB RAM
    2x 1.5TB HDD
    100Mbps line
    Free Cpanel
    will be 149$
    Isn't that $89, not $149?

    Plus $25 for Cpanel, and maybe you're using Windows.

  10. #10
    extra 40$ for 100Mbps line

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,218
    Quote Originally Posted by bandara View Post
    extra 40$ for 100Mbps line
    Ah, right; I looked again, and *again* misread it!

    Thanks for the correction.

  12. #12
    After 4 hours no any answer from FDC servers.They already got my Credit card details and still no answer.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Casablanca
    Posts
    153
    Maybe it is due to the holidays.
    They may have some extra delays like many companies.

  14. #14
    so will they take this holiday for the end of this year and start work in 2011 LOL
    thats lots of time to wait

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    569
    The second server is definitely a better deal, although I've seen nothing but complaints about FDC over the past 5-6 years. I believe all of their "unmetered" offerings are on shared ports unless you specify otherwise and pay more.
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers

  16. #16
    i also know that they are sharing the ports.But what to do i need a server now because my site now shows a suspended page.

    Something is better than nothing !!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    569
    It's hard to say how soon it will be set up.

    Did you order it directly off of their site? Did you try calling their sales line also? You might have to call them directly to expedite it if they are in a holiday schedule.

    They should be in the office, or at least available via phone/email. I don't know of any hosting companies that shut down completely like that during the holidays.
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers

  18. #18
    Ok server is up now it took nearly 6-7 hours to setup and bill the server isnt that quick.Ill update the situation later.

  19. #19
    I have both of those servers pushing video for me without any serious issues. The fdc box is definitely more powerful. If you go ahead with it, request their Chicago location as it has a better network than their Denver location
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Skype: iofloodsales
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

  20. #20
    The FDC's responce rate to tickets is so high they take only few min to answer for ticket.Since the server is unmanaged im trying to install FFMPEG to the server but still no success can someone please help me to install FFMPEG.

  21. #21
    Here you go:
    http://www.mysql-apache-php.com/ffmpeg-install.htm

    You could have taken managed

  22. #22
    managed cost is too much 50$ per hour its always better to learn something LOL
    Ill update the situation.

  23. #23

    Is this normal

    Here is the BW graph of my server in the very first day.The BW is nearly 100mbps is this ok with FDC.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/2ai345.png

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by bandara View Post
    Here is the BW graph of my server in the very first day.The BW is nearly 100mbps is this ok with FDC.
    http://i53.tinypic.com/2ai345.png
    DDoS attack maybe?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardoo View Post
    DDoS attack maybe?
    what ddos ? that is outgoing traffic

    @bandara , yes its fine with FDC

  26. #26
    Nearly 100 online users watching videos can overload the 100mb connection ???

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by bandara View Post
    Nearly 100 online users watching videos can overload the 100mb connection ???
    it depends on your video bitrates, i would suggest you upgrade to gbit ; as your 100mbit port is already saturated

  28. #28
    All videos are low quality videos and i just moved from shared host to the dedicated server.still the speed is good for me. im in sri lanka and i can max out my 2Mb line from my sites files.I think i need to stop loading the whole video at once because the jw player downloads the flv file like crazy so i need to use some BW control script i hope Xmoov streaming script will work for me.
    Last edited by bandara; 01-02-2011 at 02:20 AM.

  29. #29
    You might want to look at the 100tb servers then if you're already maxing 100mbps, as 100tb's server will give you more bandwidth. FDC doesn't mind if you use the whole 100mbps though, for what it's worth.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Skype: iofloodsales
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    79
    I wouldn't suggest 100TB if you start using all your bandwidth you might find a reason to get canceled like people have been lately, but I'd suggest you getting a 1000mbit, as your already killing your 100mbit, any more users coming online is going to stop them from seeing the site, or causing lag or problems, or you could split the site on multiple servers, or lower the quality of the videos.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, Arizona, Utah
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by emery12 View Post
    I wouldn't suggest 100TB if you start using all your bandwidth you might find a reason to get canceled like people have been lately, but I'd suggest you getting a 1000mbit, as your already killing your 100mbit, any more users coming online is going to stop them from seeing the site, or causing lag or problems, or you could split the site on multiple servers, or lower the quality of the videos.
    I'd just quite like to clarify - 100's of our clients use 100TB + of bandwidth a month. We do not find reasons to cancel people. Plenty of people here on WHT use the 100TB + allocation and have done for months - since we launched and will continue to do so.

    http://www.upload3r.com/serve/281210/1293574123.png < here is a screenshot of some for example.

    If you have any queries at all - you can feel free to talk to me about any of your subjects.

    General Manager, 100TB
    100TB.com -> 21 Datacenter Locations

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I'd just quite like to clarify - 100's of our clients use 100TB + of bandwidth a month. We do not find reasons to cancel people. Plenty of people here on WHT use the 100TB + allocation and have done for months - since we launched and will continue to do so.

    http://www.upload3r.com/serve/281210/1293574123.png < here is a screenshot of some for example.

    If you have any queries at all - you can feel free to talk to me about any of your subjects.

    Well, tell me why I had a server from your company, I used at the MAX 5mbit/s average was 2mbit or less, I got a few ddos attacks, maybe 5-6 in the two months I had services, all were under 80mbit/s for an hour or two, and I had one larger ddos attack that was about 600mbit/s that lasted about 2 hours, softlayer put up the firewall for 24 hours, resolved the problem, than I get a email from you guys telling me you no longer can host me as the ddos is affecting the network, and causing other clients to go down.

    How is it my server could affect any other servers, when I'm suppose to have a dedicated server, dedicated bandwidth, of 1000mbit, I didn't even come CLOSE to using what I was promised, than attacks or true bandwidth I am forced to move anyways, I never got a refund of my total amount since you guys CANCELED my server 8-12 days into my server, so I should of got a full refund since the services promised were not delivered, and at that you guys promised me I would have ddos protection if it ever happen, than you change that after I have a server, and give me some crap partial refund of not even what I should have got, I should of done a charge back, that's the main reason I would never recommend your company to ANYONE, and anyone that says anything about you guys will get a negative review, I wouldn't act like this if you guys would of fully refunded me, but you didn't so I feel like I got ripped off by the lies of your company, and you were the one that told me I would get ddos protection. Maybe you can get my full refund I should of got, and I won't feel as I was duped into your company's lies.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London, Arizona, Utah
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by emery12 View Post
    Well, tell me why I had a server from your company, I used at the MAX 5mbit/s average was 2mbit or less, I got a few ddos attacks, maybe 5-6 in the two months I had services, all were under 80mbit/s for an hour or two, and I had one larger ddos attack that was about 600mbit/s that lasted about 2 hours, softlayer put up the firewall for 24 hours, resolved the problem, than I get a email from you guys telling me you no longer can host me as the ddos is affecting the network, and causing other clients to go down.

    How is it my server could affect any other servers, when I'm suppose to have a dedicated server, dedicated bandwidth, of 1000mbit, I didn't even come CLOSE to using what I was promised, than attacks or true bandwidth I am forced to move anyways, I never got a refund of my total amount since you guys CANCELED my server 8-12 days into my server, so I should of got a full refund since the services promised were not delivered, and at that you guys promised me I would have ddos protection if it ever happen, than you change that after I have a server, and give me some crap partial refund of not even what I should have got, I should of done a charge back, that's the main reason I would never recommend your company to ANYONE, and anyone that says anything about you guys will get a negative review, I wouldn't act like this if you guys would of fully refunded me, but you didn't so I feel like I got ripped off by the lies of your company, and you were the one that told me I would get ddos protection. Maybe you can get my full refund I should of got, and I won't feel as I was duped into your company's lies.
    You should of course contact me and I will look into the issues - one thing is we are no way close to being a DDoS specialist host or advertise for that type of client on our network but please do contact me ([email protected] or [email protected]) and I will look into it for you - I am all ears to every situation. It's clear this wasn't in relation to what you said earlier (using b/w) - this was something totally different. I look forward to reading your mail.



    We should let this thread get back on topic now and take it offline before WHT remove this as it's not strictly on topic.
    Last edited by Thomas; 01-02-2011 at 08:03 AM.
    General Manager, 100TB
    100TB.com -> 21 Datacenter Locations

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by coolnikin View Post
    what ddos ? that is outgoing traffic
    I didn't read the colors chart only looked at the actual graph.

    @OP

    Get a dedicated 1gbit line.

  35. #35
    i think its better to stay on the 100mb line with fdc because if its 100TB caped then i might get suspended.But need a solution after few months.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to buy 3 dedicated servers - quality a must - advice?
    By rougemarshal in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 09:13 PM
  3. I need Advice... Rent or Buy ???
    By hostbox in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 01:00 PM
  4. Advice please am about to buy!!!
    By Pillhead in forum Reseller Hosting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-13-2001, 05:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •