hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : Cisco ASR 1004 vs Brocade MLXe 4 XMR

Forum Jump

Cisco ASR 1004 vs Brocade MLXe 4 XMR

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 08:00 PM

Cisco ASR 1004 vs Brocade MLXe 4 XMR

Hey everyone, just after some feedback on Cisco vs Brocade

We have a requirement of only 5 x 1gb uplinks, along with a number of BGP sessions as an edge router

The Cisco ASR 1004 has 20gbit throughput, with 20mpps (full duplex) 8gb route memory

The Brocade MLXe-4 XMR comes with 400gbit throughput, and 240mpps (full duplex) 2gb route memory

The ASR is Cisco… The name attracts a premium price, but also premium worldwide support, everyone knows and feels safe with Cisco regardless of where you are in the world.

The Brocade on paper has large amounts of grunt… but is it really that more powerful ? The other issue is worldwide Brocade is not as well-known as Cisco, is this an issue ?

Why does the Cisco ASR 1004 have so much more memory, and holds more routes for both IPV4 and IPV6.

Now it’s unfair to compare the top of the line Brocade product with a lower powered Cisco product, but the Cisco has enough “grunt” for what we need.

Question, price aside what’s the better platform, go with what you know.. or go with something new….

I know WHT has plenty of Brocade users, any Cisco ASR users around? Would love to hear how both platforms perform under large Distributed Denial of Service Attacks.

PS not interested in Juniper options, or looking at other products. I would like this discussion to stay on topic.

Thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pinto View Post
Hey everyone, just after some feedback on Cisco vs Brocade

We have a requirement of only 5 x 1gb uplinks, along with a number of BGP sessions as an edge router

The Cisco ASR 1004 has 20gbit throughput, with 20mpps (full duplex) 8gb route memory

The Brocade MLXe-4 XMR comes with 400gbit throughput, and 240mpps (full duplex) 2gb route memory

The ASR is Cisco… The name attracts a premium price, but also premium worldwide support, everyone knows and feels safe with Cisco regardless of where you are in the world.

The Brocade on paper has large amounts of grunt… but is it really that more powerful ? The other issue is worldwide Brocade is not as well-known as Cisco, is this an issue ?

Why does the Cisco ASR 1004 have so much more memory, and holds more routes for both IPV4 and IPV6.

Now it’s unfair to compare the top of the line Brocade product with a lower powered Cisco product, but the Cisco has enough “grunt” for what we need.

Question, price aside what’s the better platform, go with what you know.. or go with something new….

I know WHT has plenty of Brocade users, any Cisco ASR users around? Would love to hear how both platforms perform under large Distributed Denial of Service Attacks.

PS not interested in Juniper options, or looking at other products. I would like this discussion to stay on topic.

Thanks
Alex
We dont have a ton of operational experience with the Brocade platform as we just received our two new MLXe-8s with XMR Management, and havent deployed them yet. But i dont think you can beat the price/performance of the platform. The best part is because of the capacity, the platform has a roadmap to 40gig and 100gig cards. The CLI is also very close to the Cisco IOS aswell. We to looked at Juniper options, but i got both MLXe-8s with dual XMR management and two line cards for 40k less than i could get one redundant MX480 for. With regard to DOS, i think the XMR will perform well because of the distributed processors on each line. But only experience will tell.

Would also love to hear what experience others have had with the Brocade's. I think The Planet deployed some at one point, not sure if they are still in place or not.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Community Guide

You can't go wrong with the XMR/MLX line. The cisco has more memory but can it hold more routes? I know both vendors set a soft limit on the number of routes the boxes can hold regardless of memory. You might want to dig further. I don't know what Cisco's is but the XMR management cards are limited to 10,000,000 routes in software and 1,000,000 in hardware (IPv4).

Last edited by WII-Aaron; 10-19-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: It's Cisco, not Cosco. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

The ASR with ESP20 supports 4 million ipv4 prefixes and 4 million ipv6 prefixes. This is a hard limit because they are all stored in hardware(brocade only stores 1 million in hardware, rest would be software switched). The Brocade has a higher throughput capacity because the chassis has a higher port density. If you do not need all of those ports, you would not see a benefit from the higher throughput. The ASR/ESP20 can easily handle 5x 1Gbps uplinks at line rate with any feature enabled. Now if you need 100Gb circuit which cost $197,000 for the line card, Brocade would be the answer unless you were considering the ASR 9000 series(based off of the Nexus 7k)