legal question about local domain extension ?

hi all

is it legal for me to register a domain name let say like "amazon" or "paypal"... under local extension like ".co" or ".is"...

or they will be able to take it from me when they want ?

any info. is appreciated .

don't do it

Why would you want to do that anyway? Chances are if you registered a well known trademark the trademark owners lawyers would soon be knocking on your door

I'd be surprised if either name was available in ANY ccTLD because both these companies - like most large multinationals - have a policy of registering their name in every ccTLD under the sun.

And even if the names were available... don't even THINK OF registering anything with "paypal" in the name. Paypal's domain name portfolio is managed by Markmonitor. You definitely don't want to mess with Markmonitor.

You'll just lose your $10 or whatever the extention is. As suggested don't try it, some companies are tougher then others when it comes to IP violatons.

thank you all
    "that's what I thought you'll say" .

but still that is not logical as there are some general words like download , songs , books... that should be registable with local extensions .

as I think that countries extensions operated by these countries goverments and that's not in its advantige to let all the good domain names escape from it .

I don't know thank you again any way .

This is where things fall apart
    It is NOT possible to protect a word
    However, if that word is a brand, then only a court can decide if that brand has a case

For example
    Let's say you register amazon-lovely-trees.com
    You then design a website that is all about trees and the website looks nothing like amazon.com
    I doubt Amazon would have a case, even if they progressed with one
    However, they could decline your application to the Amazon program as the Domain Name includes the word "Amazon"

If your website looked similar to that of amazon.com then they would have a very strong case, based on getup and/or passing off (especially if you are operating that website on a commercial basis)

The same would apply to PayPal
    This is much easier for them to defend, as this word is synonymous with their brand

Equally, you may be able to use amazon, paypal, or any similar brand as a sub-Domain Name with your own unique Domain Name
    Check their program terms to see if this is permitted
    Where it is permitted there are often other restrictions and/or guidelines

A few years ago I had a website with the word "easy" at the beginning
    "easyJet" decide I was infringing on their copyright and Trademark
    After consulting my local solicitor, he just laughed after viewing the website and advised I had no case to answer
    The case eventually made it to court, which I defended myself
    "easyJet" threatened me in the corridors outside the courtroom
    "easyjet" lost the case, and had to cover my costs, to which I had a clause that payment had to be made within 28 days
    Last edited by m8internet; 10-17-2010 at 10:12 AM.
    M8 INTERNET : Simple and cost effective website hosting from the UK
    M8 INTERNET : Google Ads Account Management

Quote Originally Posted by a521989 View Post
    but still that is not logical as there are some general words like download , songs , books... that should be registable with local extensions .

as I think that countries extensions operated by these countries goverments and that's not in its advantige to let all the good domain names escape from it .
    I don't understand. Can you clarify?

Some country code extensions can allow registering even domains bearing their trademark name-sakes. It's those of famous trademarks like Coca Cola, Google, or the likes that can be rather difficult to keep and more likely to be taken away.

As to why those same big companies don't register them, maybe they feel they don't have to...yet.

Technically you can register a domain name that is similar to one of those well known brands, and keep it, if you can show that you registered it in good faith, for a legitimate purpose, and your use of the domain will not cause confusion that you are related to the other entity.

Despite the fact that you can do that, keep in mind that those large corporations have a lot more lawyers than you do, and they can afford to fight a lot longer and harder than you can, so you'd better be ready for a long hard fight if you are thinking of doing it.
    Tula Networking
    Quality Affordable Shared web hosting, Dedicated servers and Domain names since 2001
    Parallels Pro Control Panel
    24/7 Support | Personal Service